PDA

View Full Version : Storing cast bullets

bradley.moss72
06-07-2016, 12:17 AM
I'm sure not everyone immediately uses all of their boolits once cast, sized and lubed. What do ya'll use to store bullets in? I started using zip lock bags, but they don't offer much for protection and don't stack well. I tried cigar boxes but they get too heavy when filled.

I prefer to use something folks would normally throw away once empty. (package for household item, etc.) The problem is I'm a bachelor that stays on the road alot so I don't use things in quantity. I hope to find something I can get someone to save for me.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Artful
06-07-2016, 12:22 AM
I use the free USPS boxes for flat rate shipping - works with most cast just fine.

Budzilla 19
06-07-2016, 12:25 AM
Go to your local grocery store that has a cake decorating deli,(like Wal-Mart) and ask them for the empty icing buckets! They are usually free for the asking! Various sizes are available. All have waterproof sealing snap on lids and are really handy to store all kinds of things in them as they are stackable. They are capable of 100# lead capacity this I know. Just a hint, good luck!

JSnover
06-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Coffee cans, metal or plastic. Everyone you know probably uses them.

bangerjim
06-07-2016, 05:01 AM
Zip-Lok style containers from WalMart. They aren't free but at <50 cents apiece and they are clean and new and stack real well......not bad. I have over 30 of them under my bench with various weigts and cals in them. Easy to write on the front with a Sharpie and wipe off with a rag and alcohol if you need to change. I use the generic ones with the green lids they sell. And you can see what is in them!

And that way you can get a bunch of them right away and not have to worry about eating a bunch of food to empty the containers.

banger

500MAG
06-07-2016, 05:44 AM
Coffee cans and the dollar store sells half gallon and gallon screw top containers that's work great for cast boolits and brass.

RP
06-07-2016, 06:07 AM
I really like the tin cans my best size is the half gal I get the girls at the rest homes I do work at to save them for me I think tuna comes in them. Gal size cans get real heavy and I think you could lose a finger tip if you fumble with it and get your finger between it and the table.
http://http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/RELOADING/019.jpg
This is when i first started using them as I picked up more half gal cans I use the one gal for the boards so I can stack them.
http://http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/RELOADING/boolits004.jpg
If I have lubed them I stack the bullets in the cans with dividers
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/RELOADING/boolits008.jpg
And if you want to be creative you can make up some labels what would really be nice is if you could reseal the can lol.
http://http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/powder%20coating/P3290062_zps1978d361.jpg
But like always you have to keep them in order or you will run out of leg room and I hear if your using a old double wide as your man cave and you cast to relax your weight displacement will start to push your piers holding the building up into the ground. So keep in mind those little chunks of lead will add up faster then you think lol.

dubber123
06-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Not a freebie, but Sterilite makes a ton of different snap lid containers, most dollar stores have them. I found one that's about 4" tall X 6" square that has a nice snap lock on each end. They are durable and hold about 400, 150 gr. boolits and stack really well. $1 each.

6bg6ga
06-07-2016, 06:24 AM
I use Star and magma sizer lubricators and it was a simple process to make a catch tube to catch and contain the sized, lubed bullets once they passed thru the sizer. I use plumbing plastic pipe to contain the bullets with a cotter key on each end to keep them in the tube. Once I'm ready to load I invert the tube attach it to the bullet dropper on my Dillon 650 press and pull the key so the bullets can drop. This eliminated the wasted time it took to stack them and then dig into the container once I was ready to load. With this technique it doesn't make any diiference if I store them vertically or horizontally. Bullets are contained and kept clean once I put small piece of masking tape over each end. I generally make the bullet tubes so they hold 35-40 bullets each.

StrawHat
06-07-2016, 07:20 AM
I really like the tin cans my best size is the half gal ... http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/RELOADING/boolits008.jpg (http://http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg31/Ricky1965/RELOADING/boolits008.jpg)
And if you want to be creative you can make up some labels what would really be nice is if you could reseal the can lol...

You can seal a tin can, at home. Home canners have been doing it for years, not cheap but durable and they work well.

http://www.houseofcans.com/metal-containers/open-top-cans/open-top-can-sealers

Kevin

dragon813gt
06-07-2016, 07:24 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg.html)

243winxb
06-07-2016, 07:38 AM
http://www.commonsensewithmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ICBINB.jpg3 lb size

JSnover
06-07-2016, 07:47 AM
I prefer to use something folks would normally throw away once empty. (package for household item, etc.) ... something I can get someone to save for me.
dragon813gt, if you're just going to toss those I'll PM you my address :kidding:

C.F.Plinker
06-07-2016, 08:55 AM
I store most of mine in 1 pound metal coffee cans. They hold 500 of the 200grain 45s and over 500 of the 185 grain boolets. The plastic tops allow them to stack easily. Other containers are the 48 oz peanut butter jars. They are clear and will hold over 600 boolets. I mark the level every 100 boolets so I can tell quickly how many are in the jar. These are stored under to bottom shelf of the reloading bench. There is enough room to double stack the coffee cans about 3 or 4 deep. I cut cardboard from old soda pop containers into strips that were as wide as the coffee cans and a couple of inches longer than three cans. This allows me to slide several stacks of cans back and forth under the shelf much easier than trying to stack them individually under the shelf. The extra length is for labeling what is in each row.

Green Frog
06-07-2016, 09:08 AM
When I do precision casting for my schuetzen rifles, I like to shoot the bullets in the order cast. For my 32s I save up a bunch of 9mm and 38 Spl boxes... just the plastic liners actually and as soon as the bullets cool enough on the bench I place them, in order, in those liner trays. I then store the filled trays in wooden cigar boxes.

For "bulk" packaging of my revolver and pistol bullets I like the Steri-lite™ semi-disposable plastic food storage containers that I usually buy at Dollar Tree or similar cheap sources. I can either dump them in willy-nilly or stand them row by row and use a cardboard spacer between layers. Works for me, but I seldom cast more than a few hundred of any given bullet at any given time... YMMV.

Froggie

Kraschenbirn
06-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Plastic trays out of commercial handgun ammo boxes . I've got several hundred...been picking 'em out of our range trash bins for years...and they work great for rifle boolits (and loaded ammo, too!). Like Green Frog, I use the .38/9mm for my .30 cals. and the .45s for .375s, .40s, and .45s.

For years, I've used dedicated wood trays for my handgun boolits but now that I'm transitioning to PC, I've gone to snap-lid containers from Dollar Tree. Still got a few trays of sized/lubed .44s and .45s to use up but, when they're gone, my handgun ammo will be all PC'd.

Bill

harley45
06-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Another vote for coffee cans! Loaded ammo goes in ammo cans that I spray paint certain colors for different calibers

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Let me say, WOW, I don't have 'em 'organized neatly' like some of those who have provided photos, with all matching containers.

I started using old food storage containers (that were to ratty to use for lunch anymore) and small cardboard boxes from commercial bullets and such. Then I moved to tin cans and clear peanut butter jars (and still use those for pistol boolits)... But now, for Rifle boolits, I prefer to use Primer trays for small rifle boolits that are sized and lubed...and plastic trays from commercial ammo boxes for larger rifle boolits.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/boolit%20shelf_zpsyuccql8t.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/boolit%20shelf_zpsyuccql8t.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/boolit%20shelf%20close%20up_zpsdm5owgvv.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/boolit%20shelf%20close%20up_zpsdm5owgvv.jpg.html)

OS OK
06-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Do you have those shelves attached to the wall studs in some way?
I ask that because here in California we have to worry about the earthquakes and little 'shakers' all the time.
Nowadays earthquakes are happening in diverse places.

Looks great though.

dragon813gt
06-07-2016, 11:46 AM
dragon813gt, if you're just going to toss those I'll PM you my address :kidding:

Not a chance ;)

runfiverun
06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
3, 5, and 7 gallon buckets.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Do you have those shelves attached to the wall studs in some way?
I ask that because here in California we have to worry about the earthquakes and little 'shakers' all the time.
Nowadays earthquakes are happening in diverse places.

Looks great though.
No Quakes in MN, but we do get frost heaves :shock:
Yes, it's screwed into studs :)
ALSo, but not shown in the photo, is a short "bureau" style chest of drawers under the shelf, and I have 'Legs from the outside edge of the bottom shelf for added support ....as there is alot of weight on that shelf.

Echo
06-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Some time back (maybe a couple of years) I bought a box of boxes on line. Small, but will hold 200 +/- rifle boolits. Handy...169736169737

RP
06-07-2016, 10:36 PM
I had my brass stored in the plastic shoe boxes and lined stacked two high until the great shelf failure of 2005. After losing the count of how many reloads and having to sort it out I mainly use military ammo cans for my brass now and found a nice metal military shelf that may have been used for holding ammo cans they are a perfect fit. I hate to say I still have some stored in the plastic shoe boxes but not many on a shelf only because I do not have enough ammo cans.
So far my system works out well I have a rack that I sort out my brass into and when a container gets full I clean and size it and store in the ammo can. Then when i reload a batch the can is empty so in goes the loaded rounds and on to another area. About 15 more cans I will be able to do all of my brass this way.

dale2242
06-08-2016, 07:52 AM
I use metal candy/cookie tins with lids for lubed/sized boolits.
I sit them on their bases with layers of thin card board between the layers.
I don`t normally have many unsized/unlubed boolits around but when I do I store them in plastic coffee cans.
I mark the tins with peel and stick labels marked with size, weight, diameter and alloy.
I place them on the concrete floor or on heavily reinforced shelves near the floor.....dale

LabGuy
06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Peanut butter jars.

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Coffee cans. Metal or plastic. Really big ones get heavy fast. I like small to medium. I always cover them with something as there is a lot of dust in New Mexico. Same thing when I was in southern Colorado. Also, I don't bother to stack the boolits neatly in any container. Random seems to not damage the metal or lube.

Cherokee
06-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Cardboard boxes from items my wife buys and some I bought for that purpose, plus commercial caster boxes from years ago. Been using them for many years, they don't go bad.

GONRA
06-08-2016, 05:18 PM
GONRA uses the small flat plastic boxes sold at Craft Stores (Michaels, etc.) for storing LUBED cast bullets.
But - quantities are small, just 100-200 ata tyme - not zillions like you guys...

DerekP Houston
06-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Peanut butter jars.

This, mason jars, and akrobins :D.

They stay on the right side of my desk until sized then move to the left or storage. I try to go ahead and size everything so I don't forget and miss a batch.

.455 Webley
06-08-2016, 06:44 PM
The plastic tubs that baby formula comes in work out very well. They stack and fit well on most shelves also they seems to have a little bit of a gasket material on the lid. I would not go deep see diving with one and expect it to come out dry but it makes me feel better. My little one seems to empty one of them out about every week and a half. Wish i could fill them up as fast as she uses them up.

rwadley
06-08-2016, 07:01 PM
I use MTM Cast Bullet Boxes. http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/reloading/cast-bullet-box.php

country gent
06-08-2016, 08:07 PM
For my rifle bullets once sorted sized and lubed they are stored in plastic pistol ammo boxes ( MTM style). This gives me a good idea whats on the shelf and what I have number wise. I also like that they do great keeping dust and little hands off them. ( My grandsons think they make great toys). I may cast for 4-6 hours every couple weeks or so. I shoot as cast and pan lube with either spg or emmerts improved, Boxes are labeled with whats in them on a piece of 2" masking tape and shelves are also labeled the same. The drawback to alot of these ammo boxes is if you drop a full one they are toast, The plastic cant handle that.

JimB..
06-09-2016, 12:11 AM
I'm another user of 30cal ammo cans only because I got dozens of them for next to nothing a while back. FWIW, I use 50's for sorted brass (Unsorted/dirty goes into a bucket). Loaded ammo also goes in 30's, But with a different color label.

Grantb
06-09-2016, 04:06 AM
I use the clear plastic jars that nuts come in. Just by looking, I can see what bullets or brass is stored in the jar. They are surprisingly strong.

bangerjim
06-09-2016, 07:44 AM
I guess people on here just like to eat a lot of stuff!

Sounds like mainly junk food and non-healthy items.....mostly what does come in plastic containers. To acquire all the containers I need & use for boolits and brass, I would have to eat so much carp that comes in those plastic boxes and tubs, I would 275+ pounds! I weigh a constant ~182. I just spend a few pennies and buy plastic containers at WalMart! And keep the weight off. [smilie=w:

dragon813gt
06-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Sounds like mainly junk food and non-healthy items.....mostly what does come in plastic containers. To acquire all the containers I need & use for boolits and brass, I would have to eat so much carp that comes in those plastic boxes and tubs, I would 275+ pounds! I weigh a constant ~182. I just spend a few pennies and buy plastic containers at WalMart! And keep the weight off. [smilie=w:

Now you went and did it. People don't like when you point out the obvious ;)

I just stuck eight pretzel containers in the recycling bin. I heard people screaming "Noooooooo" as I did it. I bought a reloading lot and they had brass stored in them. I use five gallon buckets for brass storage so the pretzel containers had to go :laugh:

Irascible
06-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I use old jacketed bullet boxes for most. If it's a large quantity I like wooden cigar boxes and especially the large, clear plastic containers that chocolate covered cherries come in. My Schuetzen bullets go into 100 round MTM cartridge boxes to keep them separated and in order. I have switched to the new ones with a real hinge that will lie flat when opened.

06-09-2016, 02:01 PM
I try to stay a few hundred or maybe 1000 boolits ahead in each caliber. I'm only casting for a couple calibers. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself in case I want to tweak the alloy, diameter or weight. I'm keeping my stack in ingot form until I need to cast something. In my mind it affords the greatest flexibility. I'm using the peanut butter jars, Sterlite containers and ziplock bags.

DerekP Houston
06-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Guilty as charged, I have a hard time throwing out those free containers though! I use em all around the house and don't feel guilty when I ruin them like the regular "tupperware" brand.

Shiloh
06-10-2016, 06:39 AM
RP has gone to extremes. He has A LOT of boolits. Mine are in old coffe cans with lids, and Dollar Store containers. Make sure the Dollar Store containers have decent lids. Nothing worse than the lid failing because of the weight and having boolits with dirt or in my case, pet hair all over them.

Shiloh

trixter
06-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I store all my sized and lubed boolits in Costco nut jars, I eat a lot of them (nuts that is). All my brass is stored in plastic Folgers (that is what everyone here drinks) cans . All loaded rounds are stored in a cabinet in quart zip top bags, with labels on them in 100 round lots.

Smk SHoe
06-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Sterilite boxes from walmart. Two different sized boxes with the same foot print. Larger box holds about 750 9mm bullets. Loaded ammo goes in midway ammo boxes.

10mmShooter
06-11-2016, 06:12 PM
mine go in these

floydboy
06-13-2016, 12:34 PM
I shoot mainly .224 so I store sized/lubed boolits in empty skoal can. Stand them up straight and can get several in a can.

Boolit_Head
06-13-2016, 01:33 PM
I started getting quart and larger paint buckets with lids from the local home store. They work well for both brass and bullet storage.

DLCTEX
06-13-2016, 11:20 PM
I have lots of boolits stored in the plastic slip top containers that welding rods come in. Sized and lubed go in zip lock bags then into the boxes. Dust and water resistant and very stackable.

gnoahhh
06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Here's a tip for those of you who include oatmeal in your diet. I take empty Quaker Oats containers (you know- those round cardboard things) and cut them down to whatever size I need for that particular batch of bullets, and re-use the original plastic lid. They stack neatly atop one another. The only trick is in getting them cut off squarely. I do it with my table saw, but lacking that I would scribe a line around the circumference and cut it with a knife.

bradley.moss72
06-20-2016, 09:57 PM
I think I have found a solution for me.

I was cleaning out my late father's house when I came across a stash of these.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160621/74ae8effad2c52e9661e4f1f8a5171f8.jpg

Seems Dad knew I'd be needing these and is still taking care of me!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TXGunNut
06-21-2016, 11:35 PM
I prefer the Folgers plastic "cans". They stack well when empty or full of brass. I use them to store boolits and ingots but don't stack them. A Sharpie works great for labelling. I should probably use the smaller "cans" for boolits, I seldom cast more than a hundred or two of anything. They'd take up less room on the shelf.

Walter Laich
06-22-2016, 11:41 AM
I bought a lot of 25 cardboard boxes 6x6x6 from box place off internet. come flat and you tape the bottom up. Since I PC all my bullets just put them in boxes. Did run a band of filament tape around the top edge to keep the sides from tearing.

I did make labels for all of them so it's easy to find the right one. have them up against a wall in a straight line so they're pretty much out of the way

alamogunr
06-22-2016, 12:52 PM
I use large peanut butter jars(plastic) and plastic nut jars. The nut jars are about as large as you can go weight wise in plastic. I still have some mayonnaise jars with a wide mouth. They went back to the narrow mouth a while back and they are of no use.

I like the idea of surplus ammo cans but like to see what is inside. I also don't like to pay for them.

JSnover
06-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Pulled a bunch of these out of my grandfather's attic almost 20 years ago, after he died. If you can read the lid, this one was filled with .32 Special brass.
The plastic containers of disinfectant wipes are about the same size and would work just as well.

alamogunr
06-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Pulled a bunch of these out of my grandfather's attic almost 20 years ago, after he died. If you can read the lid, this one was filled with .32 Special brass.
The plastic containers of disinfectant wipes are about the same size and would work just as well.

This post reminded me that I use Quaker Oats boxes(cylinders) to store relatively small quantities of .45 Colt (and larger)pistol brass. Although they are paperboard, they will support the weight of a full container of .45 Colt brass easily

alfloyd
06-23-2016, 09:53 PM
I am with dragon813gt and 10mmShooter.

I use TupperWare for men, (ammo cans).:)

Lafaun

Jake70
06-23-2016, 11:37 PM
I put them in pretty much anything. Empty powder cans, old bullet boxes (like the boxes from Missouri Bullet Company), and even old big pill bottles.

zubrato
06-24-2016, 02:44 AM
Got lucky and found two boxes of Tupperware containers in the Walmart clearance section for super cheap, so I've more than enough boxes to contain cast boolits and see what's inside. Still like to put a label sticker on each one with alloy composition, and air cooled/water dropped.
Lids on the cheaper Tupperware containers are hit or miss, brand name is the bees knees so be on the lookout for those!

facetious
06-24-2016, 03:40 AM
A Velveeta cheese box's that have been reinforced with packing tape will hold 13lb's of wad-cutters if stacked nice. 358156's stacked the same way are a bit more. And you can stack them up like bricks.

Notes
06-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Seems like I read lots of info from the long range (1000+ yard gong) 45-70 shooters, and high quality cast bullet manufacturers about the importance (bordering on fanaticism) of protecting against even very small deformations of cast bullets, especially bases, in establishing consistent accuracy. I really like the idea of used plastic ammo trays of the appropriate caliber, especially when dealing with lubed bullets, paper patched cast bullets, or hunting rounds requiring special handling. Since I won't typically be shooting thousands of 45-70 rounds, but more often practicing and plinking with my other guns, I think smaller cans or boxes would be fine. Anything larger than soup cans gets pretty heavy, and they stack well too. JMHO.

Black Chrome
07-03-2016, 09:21 PM
I only powder coat since i've started casting so I don't have to worry about lube or stacking neatly. I like to use the larger plastic mixed nut or cashew containers (great value brand) as they hold quite a bit. I've also used boxes that xtreme plated bullets come in from when I used to load those up before I got into casting.