PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen a new Marlin 1894 .357 yet?

Blackwater
06-07-2016, 12:04 AM
I really want one of these IF they function and are accurate and reliable. I'll need some significant input before I'll trust Rem. now, though. Just too many reasons to be leery right now.

So has anyone seen, handled or shot one of the current production yet, or can you confirm they were actually produced and passed QC yet?

The prices listed are kind'a high, but what else is new these days? I really want a Marlin, but ONLY if it'll shoot and be reliable. Anyone even heard about them yet?

I have an old JM with the "Ballard" rifling in .44, but want a .357 also. I'm getting impatient, and may wind up with a Rossi if I can't get some decent word on them fairly soon. I'm just tired of waiting.

sghart3578
06-07-2016, 02:46 AM
They are not even listed in Marlin's 2016 catalog.

I would suggest looking for a Rossi. Marlin may never make a 357 levergun again.

I used to call/email Marlin every couple of months with the same question and the answer was always "They are going into production in the next quarter." That went on for a year and a half.

I suspect Marlin/Remington is getting their butts kicked on the forums about the poor quality and the cost cutting decisions they have made to not heat-treat critical internals that have lead to premature wear and failure.

I am a Marlin fan, I am lucky enough to own a 1894CS in 357 mag as well as a Texan in 30-30. I wanted two new 357's for my sons. But I'm afraid Marlin is dead.

Blackwater
06-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear, but it's what my instincts told me was likely. Thanks. I guess it's time to look for a Rossi. Your comment about not heat treating some of the critical internals shows just how stupid Rem. has gotten. When gun companies are run by "businessmen" rather than people who understand the value of doing things right, and WHY things with guns need to be done right, nothing good ever seems to happen, and much that's "bad" tends to proliferate. And I fear your last sentence may very well be prophetic, which saddens me greatly. (sigh) I guess it's "welcome to the new millenium" time for a lot of us.

Still looking for anyone who's heard or seen anything definitive, though. It's really hard to give up when you want something so badly. I think it'd be perfect for my youngest grandson. But I did handle the 16" stainless Rossi and was very impressed with how slick it was. Maybe I need to be a bit less stubborn?

Half Dog
06-07-2016, 12:41 PM
I am disappointed too. I was hoping to get a Marlin .357 for my son but my stubbornness is subsiding and I am looking at a Surgeon. 180° flip.

sghart3578
06-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I am looking at a Rossi also. Several years ago I actually bought a Rossi 92 in 357 mag. It was an outstanding gun with one exception. The barrel had been over-torqued and it threw the sights off so much that I couldn't hit a paper plate at 25 yards.

I shipped the gun back to Rossi and they kept it almost a year with no repair.

I finally got away from that gun.

Last year I bought a new Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. It is a phenomenal rifle. The quality is there and it is very accurate.

I believe they may still have some glitches in their customer service but I am kicking around the idea of a 16" 92 in 357 mag.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

northmn
06-07-2016, 06:11 PM
My Rossi is a good rifle and sees a lot miles on my 4 wheeler/tractor. Did have soem sight problems as it had too low a front sight but I think they may have fixed that. I D&T mine for a receiver sight anyway. They do come pre drilled for a scout mount if you want to scope it. The holes are underneath the rear sight.

DP

9.3X62AL
06-07-2016, 06:44 PM
One of the few perceived "holes" in my eclectic collection of fusils and handgonnes is a 357 Magnum long gun. They aren't cheap, but Winchester lists a Model 92 repro by Miroku in 357 Mag--44 Mag--and 45 Colt. I have a carbine variant of this model in 44 Magnum, and it is a delight in all respects. I have waited for several years for Marlin to get off the dime about the 1894/357, and like others have said it is probably "a dollar waiting on a dime". I see another Miroku in my future.

plainsman456
06-07-2016, 07:31 PM
A good friend bought one last year and let me break it in.:mrgreen:

It was a good looking rifle,it had the long octagon barrel.The fit and finish were nice,you know not to much wood where it did not need to be.

That said i would not get one unless you have a rather large stash of ammo hanging around.:mrgreen:

It shot to point and after shooting it i told him to pencil me in his will that it goes to me.

I want one.

TXGunNut
06-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I've been looking for awhile but a nice enough used Rossi .357 showed up first. I think that worked out quite well, no longer seriously looking for a Marlin.

Skooterr
06-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Don't know if this is allowed, if not please delete.

I know you guys are discussing new guns here, so this probably won't apply.
From MO site.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlins-only-long-guns-shotguns-rifles/208002-f-s-beautiful-jm-1894c-357-a.html

MrWolf
06-08-2016, 09:18 AM
That is one nice looking rifle. I already have a JM stamped Marlin in 357 or would really be looking at that one.

FergusonTO35
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
1894's in .357 are no see um around here. The .44's are pretty common though. The examples I have seen lately are better than they were previously, about to the level of a cheap mart special JM Marlin.

lentuk
06-09-2016, 10:01 AM
I had one and let it go, now im looking for another.

Skooterr
06-09-2016, 12:37 PM
The one on MO went yesterday, less than 18 hrs, surprised it lasted that long.

Mica_Hiebert
06-09-2016, 01:51 PM
Wish rosi would make a pistol grip model instead of straight grip only. I'm not a fan of straight grips.