PDA

View Full Version : Ideal loading tools.

Bob Busetti
06-06-2016, 11:23 PM
I picked up what appears to be an Ideal #4 tong tool for 44 Russian. The tool is nickel plated having about 40% 0f the plating. The mold looks good as does the rest of it. However it seems that what ever is used to push out the primer is gone. Also a Lyman/Ideal 310 tool for 38 S&W came with the #4 tong tool. It has the instructions on how to use the tool, but the die & stem is missing that punches out the primer. It also came with the single cavity mold & handles. Tong tool handles appear to be made of some light weight alloy. Do these have any value in this condition? I don't have a way to post pictures.

Bent Ramrod
06-07-2016, 12:49 AM
The decapping pins on the #4s are almost always missing, since they can just fall out of the loading chamber where they were kept after the box was lost or thrown away. The 310 decapping dies are two generic types, short and long, so it should be relatively easy to find a replacement.

Most 310 handles are made of light aluminum alloy, painted black. Chipped or missing paint makes them look really cheesy, so the better the finish, the more attractive the handle set.

For values, you should check E-Bay to see what they go for in the conditions close to yours. At Gun Shows around here, the #4s missing boxes, charge cups, decapping pins and significant nickel go from $40-90. Aluminum 310 tools out of the box with good paint but missing dies, maybe $35-50. The instructions may up this a little. Unusual calibers can enhance the value, but it does ultimately depend on who wants the tool.

Bob Busetti
06-09-2016, 10:15 PM
I will be posting these items for sale in the near future on the swap & sell forum.

marlinman93
06-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Replacement decapping pins are easy to make, and most any machinist can make them. But if you're selling the tool, there's no reason to bother. Most collectors who keep them will have one made if they care to make it complete.
I have about a dozen Ideal tools, all marked "Marlin Firearms Co." during the time Marlin owned Ideal. Planning to sell mine off soon also.