PDA

View Full Version : Coating for D-Day Commemorative Match

Baja_Traveler
06-06-2016, 07:44 PM
So yesterday we had our annual D-Day Commemorative silhouette shoot - any WWII battle rifle was eligible to knock down the steel, so long as it had cast bullets. The selection from my safe limited me to a Finnish Mosin, Swedish Mauser, M1 Carbine or my M1 Garand. Normally I would grab the Mosin as it is truly a tack driver, and I usually get really good scores with it, but since I've been playing with the powder coating lately, I decided the Garand was best to show off my tribute to the events that occurred 72 years ago. Hope you approve of the results...

Ia.redneck
06-06-2016, 08:50 PM
That's pretty cool BT. I coated and loaded some boolits for my son and I to shoot in our Garands.
My dad served in North Africa and Italy in WWII.
Got a neat picture of him standing guard duty with his M1 with a looooong bayonet attached in 1942

Walter Laich
06-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Good looking ammo.

so how did you do?

475AR
06-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Love the color theme, what mold did they come from and what weight are they?

OS OK
06-07-2016, 10:30 AM
What comments did you receive from the other competitors?

Baja_Traveler
06-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Everyone universally loved them, especially since the match was a commemorative one - probably been over the top on a regular day. Didn't do too well though, gun was shooting really high with the powder coated, so all my sight settings from previous matches using plain lead were way off. Lost the first few in every bank just trying to find settings.

Had alot of fun though - even took out the match directors stop watch - Enbloc came pinging out, hit the overhead and ricocheted back down right into the stop watch killing it! LOL...

These were cast from a NOE 311365 mold and drop 198 grains for me before gas check and lube (or powder coat). Great bullet for both my Mosin and Garand...

OS OK
06-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Well, at least you know what to do to be ready for the next match. They still look great…patriotic!

ffg
06-08-2016, 05:46 AM
That is the greatest .
My Dad served in the Pacific in Navy flying about in a B-24.
He has been gone two years and sure miss him.
I have 2 Garands and got a picture of him holding one in front of a flag.
He told me they trained with painted bullets so they could ID who hit what, paint came off as it punched holes in metal targets, of course that was from twin 50s and ball turret .
BTY, San Diego was his favorite city to visit, he must have had some good memories from WW2 in SD.

That is a funny story about busting the match director's stop watch, ping ....

500MAG
06-08-2016, 05:48 AM
That is really a great pic. Awesome

fredj338
06-08-2016, 01:39 PM
They look great! I am hoping to get some PC bullets up & running in my M1. One of my fav rifles for the range.