PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you got good wheel weights for casting?

KirkD
05-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm awaiting a few more items which are being shipped as we speak, and then I can start casting. I've been collecting used wheel weights from the local garage. I've been told to watch out for weird alloys in wheel weights.

Question: I'm looking at a bucket of used, dirty wheel weights. How do I know if they are good for casting or not? Does something happen when they melt that will tell me?

As you can see, I'm a rank novice at casting.

KirkD

runfiverun
05-16-2008, 10:26 PM
zinc they are usually marked Zn
if you keep your pot under 700 you will be fine as zinc melts near 780
i like to turn my pot down after i get it melted if you have zinc it will
look like oatmeal on top of your pot..

think before you melt where will the hot stuff go where to put the clips
that kind of stuff................and no wet stuff near the lead, including sweat.

VTDW
05-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I use a hot plate for my smelting. I find it easy once the lead is melting to take out those that do not melt. They are most likely Zinc and or steel.

I am find a few more in each bucket each time I get a batch so I stay on top of the melting.

KirkD
05-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks, fellows, for the info. Now I know what to look for.

Jon K
05-17-2008, 03:15 PM
zn...........more commonly known as floaters......

You are on your way to stacking up good clean useable metal.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

HeavyMetal
05-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Anything that doesn't melt at 700 will float and if it floats it's scrap steel or zinc. Don't think you'll find much zinc but you never know.

Keep the steel clips seperate and clean! When you get enough of them they are worth money. Use that to buy more wheel weights!

KirkD
05-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Keep the steel clips seperate and clean! When you get enough of them they are worth money. Use that to buy more wheel weights!
That's good news, but how do I do that? Do I use long tweezers to pick them out of the molten lead? Of do I just dip them out with a spoon and the lead runs off them? Again, excuse my embarrassing lack of knowledge here. My shipment from Buffalo Arms is on the way ... then I'll actually be able to learn by doing.

MT Gianni
05-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Dip with a slotted spoon or a standard and the molten lead does run off. A large magnet works great but don't forget that they are hot. Gianni

1Papalote
05-18-2008, 08:23 AM
KirkD, Most of the Zinc WWs are bradded to the clip. You will see this easily upon inspection. As for smelting, I found a cast iron pot at a flea market. I use this pot over a coleman stove (outside). I bought a ss spoon and ladle (bent the ladle straight) for handling the melt. I use a muffin pan for ingots.

1Papalote

KirkD
05-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll be using a Coleman stove. I got one of those Lyman melting pots in the mail. Hope it works alright, but I'd prefer cast iron. Good idea about looking at a flea market. I never thought of a muffin pan for ingots ... good idea. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks again.

runfiverun
05-18-2008, 09:50 AM
IF YOU do get a muffin pan geta pretty goood one and if it is steel let it rust up
some as the rust will let it release your ingots better
there is a sticky in the classics about this.

Tom Herman
05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi Kirk!

Welcome aboard! I'm fairly new to casting as well... The advice the others gave you is very good.
I'm using the RCBS Pro-Melt 20 pound pot here.
I've run into a few Zink wheel weights as well. I use two tricks to keep them from getting into the melt: I keep the pot fairly cool when first melting so that the Zink WW's don't have an opportunity to melt.
Secondly, I melt a handful at a time. Tailor your setup as needed. With just a few WW's going into solution at a time, you can spot a Zink "floater" instantly.
Also, this allows you to skim off the steel clips and other crap easily.
I went to the local Thrift store and bought one of the large spoons with holes it it. The spoon works great for skimming the pot!
I need to pick up a soup ladle next to pour ingots faster (I use the bottom pour feature, it's relatively slow in pouring ingots).
Casting is awesome! It's been a lot of fun, especially after I figured out some problems where wasn't doing things right.
The folks here are great for dispensing advice!
Now I'm successfully making complete cartridges for five to six cents each. The only things I have to buy are powders and primers.
Today was especially rewarding! I picked up a Webley Mark VI a while ago, and the .455 Webley ammo is just short of outrageous. Again, I'm loading for next to nothing, plus I've tailored the alloys to produce a bullet that works great and doesn't lead at all!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I'm awaiting a few more items which are being shipped as we speak, and then I can start casting. I've been collecting used wheel weights from the local garage. I've been told to watch out for weird alloys in wheel weights.

Question: I'm looking at a bucket of used, dirty wheel weights. How do I know if they are good for casting or not? Does something happen when they melt that will tell me?

As you can see, I'm a rank novice at casting.

KirkD