PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 tool

dubber123
06-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Hello all, I recently purchased a Lyman 310 tong tool and dies for .38/357. It's a later set with the aluminum handles. Everything is in great shape, and it came with 2 seating punches for 2 of the more common Lyman molds. It also came with 2 bushings that thread into the handles, and are retained with a set screw, a #1 and a #2. #2 is currently installed.

My question is in regards to whether #2 is the right one? It is the larger of the 2, #1 snugly accepts .38/357 brass, but gets tight towards the base. I tried loading a few with the installed #2 bushing, but it sizes lopsided, and makes some of the ugliest looking brass I have seen :) I am thinking the #1 bushing would hold the whole mess straighter, but I think the brass may seize in the bushing without case lube.

This is mostly just a play toy for me, I might take it camping to fiddle with if it can produce some less fugly ammo :) Thanks for any insight.

square butte
06-06-2016, 08:11 PM
#1 is what the Lyman chart shows - And is what is in my 38/357 set

dubber123
06-07-2016, 06:02 AM
#1 is what the Lyman chart shows - And is what is in my 38/357 set

Excellent! I will swap bushings and give it another go. So far it just really makes me appreciate my regular loading press. Thanks :)

Green Frog
06-07-2016, 09:37 AM
You need to be in a certain state of mind to really enjoy loading with that 310 tool. Get everything all set up and adjusted and just load away at a casual rate, enjoying the feel of each step being completed well. You will perform one task on all of the cases in your batch, then change dies in the tool and move on to the next task. I generally limit myself to a box of 20 rifle or 50 pistol rounds at a sitting and when done have a batch of truly "hand loaded" ammunition. If you want to crank out a ton of ammo at a high rate of production, go for a turret or progressive press. I've got a Star and a Dillon as well as an All American turret press and several others, but the tong tools still give me a case of the warm fuzzies when I use them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie

Char-Gar
06-07-2016, 09:53 AM
The #1 is correct for the 38/357 cases. The #2 is for the 45 ACP and any case based on the 30-06. Unless you have some really sloppy chambers in your revolver, there should be no problem with the cases sizing up with the #1 shell adapter.

The sizing die in the 310 set only sizes neck of the case. Adjust it to size just far enough to contain the base of the bullets when the case is expanded. Being just neck sized only, the loaded rounds may not fit in cylinders other than the one in which they were fired. When neck sizing the brass a little case lube or powdered graphite makes life much easier.

The 310 tool is a very slow way to load ammo, but it has the advantage of being a very portable system. I have loaded many thousands of rounds with these tools and enjoy doing so. I like the slow hands on approach. If that doesn't suit your personality, best sell the tool and dies down river.

dubber123
06-08-2016, 05:59 AM
I picked it up cheaply and in excellent shape, mostly as a curiosity. I won't be sending my turret press down the road any time soon though :) I could see it being fun to do up a box of ammo while on a camping trip though. Thanks for the info, maybe attempt #2 will go a little better.

StrawHat
06-08-2016, 07:12 AM
I have and use a 310 to load all of my rifle cartridges, except the 50-70. I only shoot +/- 50 rounds per year from each rifle so loading with the 310 is not a chore. The added bonus is I enjoy the time spent this way.

For loading revolver cartridges, I still use my old Dillon 450 most of the time.

Kevin

square butte
06-08-2016, 07:34 AM
I pick sets up when I can get em reasonably priced - for calibers that I might enjoy loading at a more relaxed pace.

dubber123
06-08-2016, 07:35 PM
I pick sets up when I can get em reasonably priced - for calibers that I might enjoy loading at a more relaxed pace.

I think the same shop has a set of 243, and 300 Savage dies.

square butte
06-08-2016, 08:28 PM
I am pretty well equipped for them after years of latching on to what I found. Still looking for a set in 25-35

dubber123
06-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the help fellas, I tried it with the correct bushing installed, and it really works well :) The neck sized cases look a bit odd, but are symmetrical and evenly crimped. It really didn't take long to put a cylinderful of .38's together. I did cheat and use a powder drop, I will have to fab up a scoop to put in a little kit for camping.

Char-Gar
06-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the help fellas, I tried it with the correct bushing installed, and it really works well :) The neck sized cases look a bit odd, but are symmetrical and evenly crimped. It really didn't take long to put a cylinderful of .38's together. I did cheat and use a powder drop, I will have to fab up a scoop to put in a little kit for camping.

As long as you put this ammo back in the same cylinder, it will deliver accuracy as equal to stuff made with high end bench presses and dies.

Using a scoop require a little technique. Don't drag the scoop through the powder, but push it down and allow the powder to fill it, then strike off any excess with a business card. Charges will be quite uniform this way.

Green Frog
06-10-2016, 07:41 PM
I am pretty well equipped for them after years of latching on to what I found. Still looking for a set in 25-35

I've only had 1 set of dies in 25-35 over the last 30 years of using and accumulating 310 tools. I got them from the first owner of the 310 Shop before he sold out to the current owner. They always seem to be on the "out of stock" list. That project never came to pass so I may still have that set languishing in some dusty corner if I didn't swap it to BrassMagnet. I'll look when I get home.

Froggie

square butte
06-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I appreciate you looking Green Frog