PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! Loading 45 long with black powder

fatcat61
06-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

Im new to Cast Boolits, but not new to reloading, However, Im new to black powder loading, Here is my question.

I have just loaded 50 rounds of 45 long colt with black power (30 grns, 2f, 250 lead bullet). My overall cartridge length is 1.650? I know the specs say it should be 1.6, Will this be a problem??

Im shooting them out of a 3rd gen colt, They rotate in the cylinder without any issues.

Do I need to start over. How critical is overall cartridge length ?

thanks

Washington1331
06-05-2016, 08:25 PM
FatCat,

Are you using real black powder or a substitute like pyrodex? If you're using real black powder, I wouldn't worry about the overall length as long as the bullet is firmly seated on top of the powder. If your cylinder moves freely, you're in good shape.

If you're using pyrodex, take a look at the manufacturer's recommendations. Since pyrodex is a propellant and not an low grade explosive like black powder, I would take a look at what the manufacturer recommends on their website.

Tar Heel
06-05-2016, 09:02 PM
If they seat within the revolver chambers and don't jump the crimp, you should be OK. Your COAL will be an issue in a lever action however. I use 1.590 for lever actions. You will find the 40gr load an eye opener too.

https://youtu.be/0Ym4ZEkh_14

fatcat61
06-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Yes, I am using real black powder (Goex), I kind of thought I would be ok ,

Thank You guys for the input

TXGunNut
06-06-2016, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the forum, fatcat61. Published OAL only applies to a specific boolit. It's doubtful the folks who published that data were using your boolit. Since the 45 Colt requires a healthy crimp in most cases an OAL that allows an adequate crimp and allows the cylinder to turn is more important than a published OAL. I don't use the same powder & boolit you do but I think you're on the right track.
Shooting BP in a Colt is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

retread
06-06-2016, 01:02 AM
I don't even know how much BP I put in my 45 colt. I fill the case so when the bullet is seated to the desired OAL I compressed the powder by one eight of an inch. I use 3F in Vaquero. As stated by others, as long as the cylinder moves freely you are good on your OAL. Have fun and be safe.

RPRNY
06-06-2016, 01:38 AM
If it spins, you're good. 2F is a little slow for a revolver. If it's all you have, no worries. Those will run a little slower and dirtier with a lovely fireball. If 3F is available, that might work better.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Washington1331
06-06-2016, 09:13 PM
2Fg may be a bit slow for the revolvers, but for some reason GOEX on their website recommends it for pistol cartridges. They recommend 3Fg for rifles. I'm not sure why they do that, perhaps it has something to do with the metallurgy of older revolvers and they want to avoid law suits... kind of like how they recommend 1Fg for the 45-70-500 rounds too.

I've shot both 2Fg and 3Fg in my Ruger old model vaquero and blackhawk. I found the 3Fg produces a nice ball of fire and "healthy" recoil. I did realize that the 3Fg seems to heat up the barrel a lot faster than the 2Fg. Fire a few cylinders, and you'll have a new respect for the 45 Colt and you'll also realize why the government reduced the original powder charge after feedback from the field.

Grapeshot
06-13-2016, 09:53 PM
Some years back I was shooting SASS on a weekly basis. I decided to load .45 Colt with a .454 conical, 250 grain cast RNFP powered by 40 grains, weighed, of GOEX 2Fg. I dropped the powder down a 3 foot drop tube and used a compression die to compress the powder deep enough into the case to seat the Boolit. (A PRS Big Lube Boolit) The load was accurate in my SAA clones and had a stiff recoil and a thunderous report followed by a breath taking concussion. These loads are not for the faint hearted. After the first stage people would stand back a little further every time I came up to shoot. I found that Tru-Ivory grips and rain made it hard to keep the pistols from rotating sharply when I touched those rounds off.

bigted
06-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Yes I concur. The 40 grain 2Fg charge will open eyes ... but mostly the shooter ... hang on tight and allow it to roll at the elbo and wrist.

My second gen will pop the same hole with the Lee 255 grain boolits ahead of the 40 grain charge of 2F KIK powder.

Have a great time and no worries about any charge you can seat ability over.

Butler Ford
06-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Some years back I was shooting SASS on a weekly basis. I decided to load .45 Colt with a .454 conical, 250 grain cast RNFP powered by 40 grains, weighed, of GOEX 2Fg. I dropped the powder down a 3 foot drop tube and used a compression die to compress the powder deep enough into the case to seat the Boolit. (A PRS Big Lube Boolit) The load was accurate in my SAA clones and had a stiff recoil and a thunderous report followed by a breath taking concussion. These loads are not for the faint hearted. After the first stage people would stand back a little further every time I came up to shoot. I found that Tru-Ivory grips and rain made it hard to keep the pistols from rotating sharply when I touched those rounds off.

This sounds tremendously familiar except I only had a 18" drop tube. Loved that PRS bullet! Still had a good lube star on the end of 24 inch barrel. Out of a 4 5/8' barrel, people on the other end of the range teased me about knowing when I was shooting

BF