PDA

View Full Version : sass need help with

shooter bob
06-05-2016, 07:50 PM
I was looking at the sass web site and read the handbook.I saw that adjustable sites are allowed for some events but didnt see them listed in the events section.I have 44 super blackhawk is it legal in any event.My idea was to gut a rossi lever in 44 mag.And a lever action shotgun.Can anyone let me know if the super blackhawk can be used in sass? The sass looks fum.And i also have a few molds for the 44.Thanks Bob

Curly James
06-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Yes, adjustable sights are allowed. That is called the modern category. Also, you will need two handguns. Good excuse to buy a 4 5/8 44 blackhawk. Have fun, I used 5 1/2 inch and 4 5/8 inch barreled Blackhawks in 45 colt, a Marlin 94 in 44 magnum, and a Rossi coach gun.

M-Tecs
06-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Most SASS clubs are very good to new SASS shooters. Get ahold of the match director and coordinate shooting a match. If you don't have all or any off the equipment they can generally get you some to use for a match or two until you figure out what you want.

runfiverun
06-06-2016, 10:09 AM
out here someone just generally stepped forward and pretty much walked you through each stage as you went to it.
they were pretty lenient about what you used for fire-arms and such too until you could get your outfit together.

what they ain't too happy about is 255gr boolits on top of 19.3 grs of 2400 tipping over all their little Yosemite sam cut-outs.

Calamity Jake
06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
"the modern category" has been done away with, it's all about what category you want to
shoot in and or your age adjustable sights are allowed in most if not all of the
categorys that use smokeless powder.

aephilli822
06-06-2016, 04:07 PM
what they ain't too happy about is 255gr boolits on top of 19.3 grs of 2400 tipping over all their little Yosemite sam cut-outs.

So not only are low power loads recommended for better scores, but they are required?

shooter bob
06-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks all. I looked at how some of the shoots are set up and it looks like fun.Thanks again Bob

shooter bob
06-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Calamity Jake i hope that is how it works.It was not clear on the web site .It looked as rear notched site was all i kept seeing.But it did mention adjustable sites but i didnt see it in the categorys i may have missed it thanks again.I will contact the club near me. And thanks to all who took the time to help appreciated. Bob

Springfield
06-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I'd have to look at the rules again but pretty sure adjustable sighted guns are allowed in most age based categories. I shoot Frontier Cartridge Duelist myself(blackpowder, shot one handed). And I have an 1887 lever shotgun that I am looking to sell if you really want one. They are slow to run in a SASS match but can be fun, kinda like using a hammer shotgun.

runfiverun
06-06-2016, 11:45 PM
not really required,, they just frown on it.
frown a lot, especially after we had to pick up all their targets and re-set them.

something like 7.5-8grs of unique under a 200-230gr boolit is more than enough for what your doing.
I was using a 165gr rnfp on top of 4.8grs of clays for quite a while before it become cool to shoot the super light loads.
it was about like a bulls-eye 38 special load as far as recoil and my times went waaay down.

many times a higher powered load is pretty scary to shoot, I have seen some targets set close enough to just about get powder burns.
and the hot loads send shrapnel every where.

shooter bob
06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks again everyone .And Springfield i will keep that shotgun in mind but i was thinking a side by side shotgun but thank you.

Alvarez Kelly
06-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Thanks again everyone .And Springfield i will keep that shotgun in mind but i was thinking a side by side shotgun but thank you.

Your post says you wanted a lever action shotgun. The only one I know of is the 1887. Did you really mean you wanted a hammered double barrel? Two totally different animals...

shooter bob
06-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Have not really made up my mind about the shotgun yet .But the double would be faster i suppose. Thanks everyone