PDA

View Full Version : bought another uberti open top colt .

johnson1942
06-05-2016, 07:35 PM
ordered a couple of days ago a 1972 army grip open top uberti colt with a 7 and one half inch barrel. 45 long colt. have the same in 38 special and navy grips and a man with no name 38 special open top. they point so fast and shot so accurate i saved and saved for the open top 45 long colt. loaded a icecream pail full of 45 long colt with .454 round ball as the bullet last winter. been shooting them in my ruger old arm with a howell conversion cylinder very very well but now it has a mate in the army grip open top. thought about a lot of other ones but setteled on that one for speed of shooting and ease of sighting. way more ballanced in my hand then the 73 single action army. i never ever shoot heavy loads and just black powder pressures and love these open tops. fast to take apart and clean also. i did rework my ROA with checkered rose wood grips and wolf springs and its a dream to shoot also. i can reload that faster that someone with a colt single action army. really really accurate but the uberti colt replica open top 45 will be on target faster and put 5 or 6 rounds on the small gong faster. sorry for the type o/s but for some reason my computer wont let me correct them.

Thumbcocker
06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
I am very pleased with my Uberti 1858. Let us know how she shoots.

Blackwater
06-05-2016, 09:43 PM
I envy you Johnson. Those are indeed VERY lively guns in the hand. I haven't "grown up" enough to realize they'll do 99 44/100% of what I need to do any more, including self defense, if needs be. I stay convinced I need stronger guns, though my head tells me different. I guess I'm thinking about my son and grandboys who'll be inheriting my guns before too many moons pass? You have a trio of VERY nice guns there!

rintinglen
06-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Mine is a Piettta with a Howell conversion cylinder. What a great feel. Mine only works if OAL is kept down around 1.5 inches so I bought some Schofield brass to make life easier.

StrawHat
06-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Probably my favorite SA revolvers to carry and use are the two Richards conversions I have. These were made by ASM and chambered in 44 Colt. I load a 200 grain RNFP boolit and all the 3f I can stuff in the case.

Kevin

johnson1942
06-06-2016, 09:29 AM
these guns you all have are easy to point and feel great in the hand, they sure can spoil a person for other handguns. they deliver.

45 Dragoon
06-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Johnson 1942, I feel the same way about my converted (Kirst gated) Dragoons! My '60 (Uberti) with a gated conversion is a "fun gun" but lacks the fast twist that the Dragoons have.

Mike

johnson1942
06-08-2016, 09:30 AM
does the third model dragoon uberti have the same twist as the rest of the uberti open tops?

45 Dragoon
06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
I believe all new Uberti .44s have fast twist barrels. Not sure exactly when they started doing that but I'm glad they did. I think the popularity of the cartridge conversions brought the change.

Mike

johnson1942
06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
can you put a small rear sight ahead of the cylinder on the rear of the barrel of a 1860 army, just like the one one the man with no name has? if so i may just get one and put a krist gated conversion cylinder in it. i think that rear sight just foreward of the cylinder is perfect for fast sighting and fast shooting.

StrawHat
06-09-2016, 07:44 AM
...can you put a small rear sight ahead of the cylinder on the rear of the barrel of a 1860 army...

A small dovetail would work and be adjustable for windage. If that seems a bit more than you would attempt, fitting the base of a rear sight to the contour of the barrel and soldering it on is also an option.

Kevin

johnson1942
06-09-2016, 07:35 PM
got it today and shot it with 19 grains by weight blackhorn 209 powder, wad and .454 roundball roll crimped over the end of the case. very little recoil, points like a finger, one handed or two handed. compared to the converted ruger old army it is lighter and more delicate. for some reason the ruger old army recoils more. dont know why but this open top army gripped uberti colt repo recoils less that the ROA and as stated before, a dream to shoot. takes apart easily to clean, and goes back together very easy. the only thing im doing to it is polishing the wooden grips with a cotton cloth and HUTS varnish polish on the rag.

45 Dragoon
06-10-2016, 09:15 AM
The "less recoil" is probably the arbor being too short. The bbl/cyl clearance may be a little large as well. A correct length arbor will definitely let you feel recoil! My '60 with some 950 fps .45s jumps with good authority!!

Mike