PDA

View Full Version : Cement mixer brass processing - sorting out the .22's & debris

fng
06-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Mixer ring spits out the .22's -
5/16" round hole perforated plate, framed in flat stock rolled to mixer diameter, bungees to drum

Media strainer over tote bin-
1/4" expanded metal w/3/4" angle iron frame

jmorris
06-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Tumbling mixed cases can lead to a lot of time spent pulling apart cases that nest and get stuck together. Most often a 9mm inside a .40 inside a 45.

I built a pretty simple sorter where debri and .22's fall out before everything else is sorted down the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFw7IcQUmgs

lup
06-06-2016, 10:20 AM
How do you separate calibers of similar diameter? I.e. 9mm versus 380 acp versus 223 rem? It looks like the machine separates by diameter of the case. Is it doing something else as well?

jmorris
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
380 and 223 are smaller than 9mm in diameter. 223 does fall in with 380 though.

I do have a device that can sort by length as well, it actually can sort by diameter at specific heights as well. Like sorting the same length and case head diameter, 357 sig case from 40 S&W by the smaller diameter neck.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/brass/th_9mm380.mp4 (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/brass/9mm380.mp4)

MT Chambers
06-06-2016, 02:32 PM
How do you get the cement out of the cases? Once it takes a set?

W.R.Buchanan
06-12-2016, 01:34 PM
How do you get the cement out of the cases? Once it takes a set?

good question, and I see this as a definite problem.

Randy

PaulG67
06-12-2016, 06:04 PM
We have some very clever guys on this forum.

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 06:30 PM
[smilie=l: It's summertime. The kids wanna' play!

I have a friend who made a fish scaler for scaled fish, and loves it. Cases? He just washes them in soap and water, makes sure they're clean, and doesn't care how they look. Only how they shoot. And he gets tremendous case life, too.

One of my best friends has gone to tumbling in SS pins, but I just can't bring myself to tumble in something harder than brass. Call me a knuckle dragger, I guess? For tumbling brass, I have a vibrator type and a Thumbler's. They both do as good a job as I'd ever want or need, and I use walnut hulls with a little jeweler's rouge in it. Might tumble wet, but NEVER with lube on them. Don't want lube in my tumbling media. That'd put a very light coating over all the stuff I tumbled afterward, and I want my cases dry, whether they're shiny or not. And un-lubed when I go to load them. Others do otherwise and get fine results, though. I guess I'm just getting to be a prig about some things in my old age? Plus, I'm not always in an ever-lasting hurry, either, but I once was. Still never took some of the short cuts I see some of the newbies doing. Sooner or later, it's always seemed to me that the little things will come back on us, and that sometimes ain't pretty.

Talon300
06-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Mixer ring spits out the .22's -
5/16" round hole perforated plate, framed in flat stock rolled to mixer diameter, bungees to drum

Media strainer over tote bin-
1/4" expanded metal w/3/4" angle iron frame

Careful, kids will want to use this for mixing mud pies! The case sorter will work for smoothing the frosting while sorting. . . Then into the Easy Bake oven!

izzyjoe
06-19-2016, 08:12 AM
jmorris, you are a genius!