PDA

View Full Version : My blue printed 1858 Remey

Fly
06-02-2016, 09:42 PM
I have two Remeys & three colt revolvers reproductions. I love the revolvers & love shooting
them. I also have two Howe cartridge cylinders, one for my 58 remey & one for my Dragoon.

I,m no gunsmith, I,m a retired tool & die maker. I can dovetail sights & things like that &
rust blue, & brown guns. But anyway I have heard a lot of good things about Goonsgunworks.

I decided to send my Remey to him to do his tricks on it. Well I got it back yester day & took
it out in the woods behind my house. Man the gun is really smooth. He lightened the hammer
pull, timed my two cylinders put new screws through out & so on. You can fan this revolver
with no problem. Mike is a really good guy to deal with also. He will answer any question you
ask & spend his time on the phone with your question. If you have one you want blueprinted
I recommend him highly. www.goonsgunworks.com (http://www.goonsgunworks.com/)

Fly:mrgreen:

45 Dragoon
06-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Awesome Fly!! Thanks so much!

By the way, those screws are yours, repaired, hardened and fire blued!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com (http://www.goonsgunworks.com)
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Fishman
06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Well, where are the pictures? :)

Nobade
06-03-2016, 07:55 AM
I am glad someone is doing this. It's something I have seen a need for a long time, but doesn't really fit in with what we do at the shop (precision tactical rifles). I would much rather be messing with old BP stuff but it isn't in the cards at the moment. Kudos to Mike and I hope he has great success with it!

-Nobade

Fly
06-03-2016, 11:03 AM
I agree Noblade. Revolvers today are much better than the ones made in the 1970. My first was
a navy arms 51 colt. It was fun to shoot, but a *** as far as reliable. But even today they can be a pain.
I kept reading about Mikes service. Ya I know there is things you can do your self that can help. I ordered
a new hand for mine & installed it, correctly I might ad. But when I finished the hammer did not go
back all the way.

Well I was PO ed so to speak. I loved this gun & it was a shooter for sure. So I picked up the phone & called
Mike. He knew the problem right off & was explaining what I needed to do. The more we talked the more stuff
he was saying, I knew this guy knew his stuff. Finally I said Mike I,m sending this thing to you, & do your thing
on it. My what a joy to shoot now.

Fly

Geezer in NH
06-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Picture of blueprint??

Good Cheer
06-04-2016, 09:32 PM
He has my 6" barrel .31.
Some day I'm going after wabbits.

RaiderANV
06-09-2016, 01:17 AM
I saw no mention of recutting the forcing cone properly or boring all chambers to the same diameter on his site? The main problem with all of these guns over the years are the chambers are undersized and off a thousandth either way.

45 Dragoon
06-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Raider, all the correct chambers (not cylinders) in the world wouldn't amount to a hill of beans if you can't have the same weapon every time. Or, if it shoots "loose" several times an outing, or an excessive barrel/cyl clearance causing the cylinder to bind. If the factory action setup is chewing itself up, your "pride and joy" may be toast in as little as 50 cycles! I don't "accurize" the open top revolvers per se. Instead, I bring the open top platform up to a high standard, close tollerance revolver that quite frankly rivals revolvers costing 2/3 times as much as the typical new open top. In fact, all my serviced revolvers will function in a manner that would destroy other "Colt" type actions (which top strap revolvers have as well).
Perfect timing only happens by accident at the factory and usually the setup is cycling in a self destructive way, getting worse and worse over time. The service allows an open top to be as reliable as any modern revolver with much easier handling characteristics.
If all the things I do (listed on my service page) to an open top isn't enough to satisfy you, here's your chance for a nice "niche" occupation. That list isnt a list to choose from, it's a list of what the service entails. All open tops (and top strap models) leave with the same things done to each and every one. Easy to handle, built like a tank!
That's . . . . . what I do.

Oh yeah, I don't do sights either (on a normal basis). That's real important in the "accurizing" Dept.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

PS. By the way, unless you're just shooting Conicals, the forcing cone needs to be very shallow to almost non existent. A ball will "tilt" in a nice long modern forcing cone (it "sees free bore"). The original " ball revolvers " had almost no forcing cone ( just slightly tapered immediate rifling).