PDA

View Full Version : Peabody rifle

cybttwind
06-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Greetings

I guess I was on the wrong thread. It has been so many years since my last post I forgot how whole thing works. Peabody sold his rifles to many countries Spain was a real good customer Some of the rifles in .43 Spanish ended up being sold to the State of Connecticut. After a few years all/most were sent back to Peabody and refurbished and re barreled in 45/70. Peabody had a bunch of .45 caliber left over from a Turkish contract and they used them to fill Connecticut's order but they had Henry rifling. A very few were never sent back to Peabody. My question is, what style of rifling would the ones that were sent, or should have been sent, back had when they were still in .43 Spanish? I'm really scratching my head on this one. But if I find out first I'll put it in a post. Thanks See ya Lou Star

salpal48
06-03-2016, 08:21 PM
I have several Peabodys , 43 spanish, Swiss Rim fire and 45/70 .. I was not aware that The 45/70 went to Turkey. mine has a State of Mass, also a South Carolina Carbine Rim fire. I am not familiar with The difference in Rifling . All i know the centerfires Shoot very well
Sal

cybttwind
06-04-2016, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I have this right. All of the Spanish 2nd contract left Peabody with Ballard rifling, which is pretty much the American Standard. I have a Argentine RB in .43 Spanish and it has Ballard Rifling. Many of the contracts, were cancelled or returned, due mostly to the fact that the 11mm single shot stuff was going out of date FAST. Connecticut ordered a bunch for their Militia but they wanted it in 45/70, no bayonet, no sling swivels and a windage adjustable rear sight. Peabody had a bunch of .45 barrels sitting around from a cancelled Turkish Contract, but the Turks had insisted on Henry rifling but a deal was struck with Connecticut and that is how they ended up with the Henry rifling. I do not know what caliber the Turks were using but it must have taken a .45 bore. I have two Connecticut's and with 13grs of Trail Boss under a 405 gr. RNFP sized to .458 it is comfortable and shoots as well as I can hold. Thanks See ya Lou Ps To answer my own question any Spanish contract that was returned to Peabody to be used in the Connecticut contract must have had Ballard rifling.

Boz330
06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I have several Peabodys , 43 spanish, Swiss Rim fire and 45/70 .. I was not aware that The 45/70 went to Turkey. mine has a State of Mass, also a South Carolina Carbine Rim fire. I am not familiar with The difference in Rifling . All i know the centerfires Shoot very well
Sal

Henry rifling has no sharp corners for powder fouling to build up in. Not a biggie for smokeless but for BP in a combat situation the Henry works better. The Brits proved that at Roarks Drift with the Martini Henry. The barrels supposedly got so hot they had to wrap rags around the forestocks to keep from getting burned and the rounds were cooking off from the heat but they kept shooting.

Bob