PDA

View Full Version : Legal to lighten hammer?

crabo
05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
I have always put titanium hammers in my 1911s and 10/22s to improve lock time. Would it be illegal for cowboy silhouettes to drill some lightening holes in my hammer so it will fall faster? I know you can change firing pins, springs and stuff that doesn't show.

I found the rules and it says that sights are the only allowed external modification. So if I am thinknking correctly, it would have to be done where it does not show.

Can I do this and stay legal?

Thanks,

Crabo

Morgan Astorbilt
05-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Is this on your rifle, or pistols? In CAS, we do all sorts of mods., to speed up the actions, as long as they don't show, but never heard of lightening the hammer. For schuetzen, I've made special hammers for Ruger #1-3's ,and drilled holes in RRB hammers, and none of these showed.
Morgan

crabo
05-16-2008, 01:52 AM
It's on my Marlin 1894 357 rifle. Just a thought since I was slicking up the action, putting in a new ejector, trigger, one piece firing pin....

Crabo

Irascible
05-16-2008, 09:57 AM
I assume you mean NRA lever action silhouette.
If the rules specify the only external modifications allowed, then I would say that the NRA has realized it could not police the internal modifications.
You'll have to look at the rule book for a paragraph stateing that if the rule book does not specificly allow a modification, it is not allowed. If there is no such statemant, I would say you are in the clear for any internal modification.
Many organizations, shooting, racing, etc have realized the foolhardiness of making rules that cannot be enforced easily.