PDA

View Full Version : Special project needed: bullet feed tube filler

Whiterabbit
06-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

I got a loadmaster recently and I am impressed so far.

The bullet feeder when aligned is also very impressive. The gears are already turning for how to modify it to feed heavy-for-caliber 45 cals. I predict good success there.

Here's the issue: The benefit to progressive reloading is to not have to touch every component. The LEE case collator is serviceable here. Dump cases and go. The primer tray is serviceable here. Dump primers and go. The bullet feeder is NOT serviceable here. I have to touch every single bullet to hand feed into one of four tubes.

What I would like to see is some sort of non-motorized collator or flipper that I can use so I can handle bullets by the batch and fill tubes. I have to believe someone has spent time thinking about this already. Again, I don't mind manually operated, I'd just like to see something designed to be batch operated (much like the case collator which is manually operated but the result is not having to touch every piece of brass).

Obviously the case collator cannot be duplicated for bullets, but has anyone come up with a good idea?

Whiterabbit
06-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Goal here by the way is batch process without spending $400 for the motorized solution or spending 140 hours building my own motorized bucket.

jmorris
06-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Post 10&11 here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232791-Mr-Bullet-feeder-for-star

Are photos of how I made mine. They do have a motor but don't cost much to build.

Might also take a look at this.

http://entirelycrimson.com/diy/collatorinstructions.pdf

They used to make kits for $150 but they violated Ricks patent on the design so they quit but it Mir give you some ideas on building your own.

Whiterabbit
06-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Here's the closest thing I googled so far for a manual tube filler:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SortingBlock2.jpg

easy to imagine dumping bullets by the handful into a box, shaking to get them to drop into the groove, then slide to the side while holding the tube in place.

However, it does not collate, so many will have to be flipped by hand to ensure all tips are pointing one way. Any ideas how to manage that, or achieve that? something akin to a primer flip tray in function would be ideal.

Again, it's a simple solution, not a $400 feeder or homemade motorized feeder that needs 140 hours of work to build at home.

jmorris
06-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't think I have ever spent more than a few hours building a motorized one but I have a decent amount of equipment to build things.

I can't think of any method that would not require hands that would take less time to build.

Suppose you could do what many folks do that don't own collator, sit in front of the TV and fill tubes.

44Vaquero
06-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Whiterabbit, I think you are somewhat confused about what home-built is or can be if designed and built carefully with an eye towards simplicity.

My DCCF MKII (dirt cheap case feeder mark 2) only takes a couple of hours to assemble and install on a Pro-1000 or Load-Master. I am also currently working on a bullet feeder that operates along similar concepts.

Build photo's are located in the Facebook Group .....Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment Group. if you are on FB please join the group and check out the build album.

169419 original proto-type 169424

The proto-type is still in use on my bench even though I have built 2 new and improved MkII's, They will be going up for sale soon.

Whiterabbit
06-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Whiterabbit, I think you are somewhat confused about what home-built is or can be if designed and built carefully with an eye towards simplicity..

Very possible. But I'm wondering what's the next step down in simplicity from the very excellent examples you are making. Sadly, or perhaps not sadly, I do not use facebook, so that avenue of self education and all the wonder and benefit that goes with it is closed to me.

44Vaquero
06-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Whiterabbit, PM me your E-mail address and I can send you some pictures.