PDA

View Full Version : Shout Out To Cannon Safe Co.

MakeMineLead
05-31-2016, 10:53 PM
The electronic lock on one of my 4 Y/O Cannon safes kept giving trouble. I constantly was having to remove the battery and reconnect it. They talked me through the troubleshooting on the phone. We determined the inside lock mechanism was going bad.

They sent out a new lock & keypad. No charge. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif All I had to do was Tap the predrilled horizontal holes in the door w/ an 8-32 tap. The old keypad used the vertical holes.

The door has all 4 holes drilled from the factory. My original keypad was the older one.

Great customer service @ Cannon!

Dragonheart
06-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I have a Canon Safe (from Costco) it was a deal, is several years old and is giving me excellent service. Canon has a lifetime warranty.

Baja_Traveler
06-10-2016, 07:27 PM
They just gave me the run around when I called them complaining that my key pad was junk - to this day I have to enter the combination 15 to 20 times before it decides to open.

500MAG
06-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Great to hear this and will have to check them out. Looking to add another safe myself.

DerekP Houston
06-10-2016, 08:00 PM
They just gave me the run around when I called them complaining that my key pad was junk - to this day I have to enter the combination 15 to 20 times before it decides to open.

When I was looking to buy a safe I had my eye on a giant cannon for a great deal. When I asked the dealer why....he took me to the back and gave me the code. I couldn't get the damn thing to open either. Thank goodness you got that faulty keypad replaced!

Treetop
06-10-2016, 08:50 PM
I've had no trouble with mine that I bought at Tractor Supply about 4-5 years ago. It lives in an unheated damp shop, too. I change the 9 volt battery once every year or two...

I have to keep a 75 watt light burning inside the safe or the firearms will rust. I hate rust! Treetop

DLCTEX
06-10-2016, 10:10 PM
I've had no trouble with mine that I bought at Tractor Supply about 4-5 years ago. It lives in an unheated damp shop, too. I change the 9 volt battery once every year or two...

I have to keep a 75 watt light burning inside the safe or the firearms will rust. I hate rust! Treetop

75 watt? I would think that would keep it hot! I once put one in an old refrigerator to keep welding rods dry. Three days later I grabbed a hand full and burned my hand.

Dragonheart
06-11-2016, 11:48 AM
I think investing in a dehumidifier made for a safe is a lot better way to go, it works for me. My Cannon safe is 6 years old and the electronic lock has never given me a problem, no problems with anything else either.

Treetop
06-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I think investing in a dehumidifier made for a safe is a lot better way to go...

I agree, Dragon and I started out with the biggest gun safe dehumidifier that Tractor Supply carried, but it just didn't ever produce enough heat to keep condensation from forming on my firearms, so I added a 75 watt light bulb, in addition to the dehumidifier, and that seems to have done the trick.

We should be finished with our new house, up here in the central Brazos valley sometime in July, then the safe will be "safely" in a controlled environment again! Treetop

lefty o
06-13-2016, 12:30 AM
electronic locks on safe's, its a matter of when not if its gonna fail.

Dragonheart
06-13-2016, 01:33 PM
electronic locks on safe's, its a matter of when not if its gonna fail.

If I really need to get into my safe in a hurry I will take that chance.

Treetop
06-13-2016, 02:34 PM
75 watt? I would think that would keep it hot! I once put one in an old refrigerator to keep welding rods dry. Three days later I grabbed a hand full and burned my hand.

I have the 48 gun (I think) size Cannon safe and my guns stay warm to the touch but definitely not hot. Your refrigerator (good idea, BTW) is probably much better insulated than this gun safe. I agree that 75 watts is probably too much in addition to the dehumidifier, but that's what we have a lot of right now. Treetop

Geezer in NH
06-13-2016, 08:27 PM
They just gave me the run around when I called them complaining that my key pad was junk - to this day I have to enter the combination 15 to 20 times before it decides to open.You have not changed it to a better lock????

joatmon
06-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Would a warm to the touch stock not dry out enough to damage it? Just wondering!
Aaron

Dragonheart
06-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Would a warm to the touch stock not dry out enough to damage it? Just wondering!
Aaron

Kiln Dried wood is to remove excess moisture and quickly stabilize the product for manufacture, but taken too far the wood starts to crack as some moisture is required, ever wonder why the military used to oil their gun stocks, that's the reason.

OS OK
06-20-2016, 12:30 PM

My safe will not open unless the door operator is 'fully clockwise'...there's about 5-10 degrees of slop in it, just enough that you can leave it turned 'counterclockwise' just a tad. You can enter the combination till the cows come home and it sill will not open...handle must be fully clockwise to the stops.

Dragonheart
06-20-2016, 01:30 PM
My safe will not open unless the door operator is 'fully clockwise'...there's about 5-10 degrees of slop in it, just enough that you can leave it turned 'counterclockwise' just a tad. You can enter the combination till the cows come home and it sill will not open...handle must be fully clockwise to the stops.

Hi OS,

Yes, mine does the same it says so in the programming instructions and I am sure everyone here has read the instructions..........yeah right!

OS OK
06-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Morning Rich...
Yeah...don't try to re-program mine with instructions in hand to enter a new combination...tried it once and it didn't work, scared me when I thought I might have just removed the original number...I was in luck that day, didn't try again either.
Oh...by the way...I posted that Gun Control E-Mail you sent...already getting the dogs barking on this one!

L8Tr...charlie

Jake70
06-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I got my Cannon at Tractor Supply. It's a great safe for the money. :D

Dragonheart
06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
From time to time Costco has Cannon Safes on Sale, our club has them in stock, but I think it is best to buy online so they are dropped off at your door.