PDA

View Full Version : Moving from CA to TN, Transporting Powder, primers ect..

TybrneRyan
05-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Hello,

I am moving from California to Tennessee next month for my company. Never moved out of state before let alone transport powder,primers, firearms ect. It is to my understanding that I can't exceed 25lbs in a private vehicle when transporting powder. Does this apply in conjunction with primers?

I plan to have my firearms disassembled and locked in the safe in the moving truck. Has anyone had any experience transporting these across state lines? Your input is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

9w1911
05-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Once you leave CA, what are you worried about?

JSnover
05-31-2016, 02:05 PM
You'd have to check with each of the states you plan to drive through.

dragon813gt
05-31-2016, 02:24 PM
The states don't regulate this. You are crossing state lines so it's a federal matter. Here is a link that has transpiration limits: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

Harter66
05-31-2016, 02:44 PM
When placed in commerce (commercial transportation or for hire) any quantity of hazard class 1.1,1.2 or 1.3 must be placarded. Quantities of 1.4 greater than 1000 lbs must be placarded except for UN numbers (basically every small arms cartridge with inert projectiles 50 cal and less) . That is the basic break down of DOT based on 21 yrs of ammo shipping training and refresher courses on an ammo depot.

Powder Valley can only sell 25# per customer/vehicle of BP.
Individual towns and cities will have local ordinances that typically reflect the National Fire Protection Association code for storage ,ingress and egress . Reno says 32# per vehicle and cabinet with a long winded description of lockers and wall arrangements for greater storage . With all that said I 80 and US 395 are haz-mat routes and exempt from that rule . If you travel I80 and 70 you should good to go . IF it is in private vehicles there shouldn't be any questions.
A trailer is considered a separate conveyance, so 32# in the truck ,32 # in the trailer and the same in your other car. The movers won't knowingly move it because of the above haz-mat regulations . There are a couple of haz-mat routes on i40 .

rancher1913
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
do not ship your safe and guns via mover, you are setting yourself up to be ripped off. they will hold them hostage for more "fees".

mdi
05-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Are you expecting an inspection/search at each state border? I moved about 35 lbs. of powder, 10,000 22 lr rounds, and mebbe 12,000 primers in my PU when I escaped CA. I just packed the primers so they wouldn't be bumped around in case of a roll over, and put the powder in boxes. Wasn't carrying any dope, so I wasn't concerned with searches...

RogerDat
05-31-2016, 05:35 PM
You don't want primers and powder in same container, would want primers in original containers which are designed to limit chain ignition of primers..
Most gun safes I have seen would not secure weapons for transport. They can bounce around and bang into sides and each other. I would think in protective cases, locked case & trigger lock or bolt removed etc. to make non-firearm would allow transport in about any vehicle or trailer. Maybe if the safe would accommodate the cased weapons?

You do want clarity on price of safe delivery to specific location. Delivery down basement stairs, or upstairs, around back to walk out basement may well be an additional cost. Tight stairs or turns on stairs, hauling across soft lawn etc. can be a problem. Need to clarify any charges for that up front. Long carry used to be an upcharge too but it has been a few decades since I did bed knobs and broomsticks.

retread
05-31-2016, 05:42 PM
do not ship your safe and guns via mover, you are setting yourself up to be ripped off. they will hold them hostage for more "fees".

Pay attention to rancher1913 on this issue!!

Duckiller
05-31-2016, 06:17 PM
Cal Fire Marshal regulations limits you to 25# of powder stored at home, so that is not a problem. I would move powder, primers , ammo and firearms in you pov.

packnrat
05-31-2016, 09:42 PM
ALL guns in your truck, under YOUR control. pistols in a locked box, long guns in wraps of the towels, with gun locks through the receivers. to be extra safe and keep them from being usable incase they are confiscated, stolen, remove the bolts/firing pins.

if you allow the movers to move any powder or primers, paint, any kind of aerosol, solvent, etc. box up real good and do not let the movers know about them. dot haz-mat ****.

try to move everything along this lines in your privet car. or sell, give away, into the trash. if for nothing more than why move the poundage.

NEVER move your guns via a moving company. high theft rates. also fed and state control laws involved here.
far safer to ship some items via the ups system.
do the self load into a abf pup. this way you know what is there and it will not be un/cross loaded at any point in route. this is a door to door drop deal.

Stewbaby
05-31-2016, 10:38 PM
I'd avoid Colorado with any 'high' capacity magazines just in case.

aspangler
05-31-2016, 10:58 PM
Load it in the trunk and stay under the speed limit. The chances of being stopped like that is VERY small. BTW Welcome to TN.

Jupiter7
06-01-2016, 02:57 AM
As above welcome to TN!
Where are you moving to? East, west, middle?

bruce drake
06-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Welcome back to Freedom...

Move your own firearms and reloading components as much as you can. inert projectiles and empty brass, box up and have the movers ship them. dies and presses place in plain cardboard boxes but photograph them before you place them in the hands of the movers. Be prepared for an insurance claim on them in any case. I once lost a press, 20 dies and nearly the same amount of molds when the Army movers boxed my stuff up for a PCS move from one station to another. Yes, I think the movers stole them because they knew the government would cut me a check to replace the items but it was still very irritating for several months waiting for the claim to be approved and paid.

TybrneRyan
06-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks Jupiter! East TN, about 45 min East of Knoxville.

I appreciate all the input everyone.

jmort
06-01-2016, 04:49 PM
When I escaped from california to the Ozarks, I filled up a 26' U Haul and my pick-up truck and we hit the road. I never considered any of it. Probably broke a whole bunch of laws. Ooops

TCLouis
06-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Don't know how many firearms we are talking about, but I have always heard to NEVER let the shipper move them or a least let them know they are moving them.

Like that giant animal one takes on a hunt, with shippers and firearms there seems to be issues of SHRINKAGE

May be that you have to let them move guns and safe, protect each firearm from banging into another.

Now if you mention it after you get here, NO we really don't care how they did it in kalifornia after all . . . .

kalifornia 18 billion in debt, Tennessee Constitution does NOT allow for deficit budget.

No state income tax.

Welcome to life in a Free State.

jcwit
06-01-2016, 06:32 PM
I'd load it all up in whatever I was using to move with, and keep my mouth shut, and drive carefully.

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Lots of good advice. As for the powder and primers; package it up separate (primers in factory boxes) and put it in your own vehicle. You'll be fine and no one will be the wiser. If you can sell off some to friends before the move, that might help just with the bulk of what needs to be transported.
The idea of the mover transporting the firearms in the safe doesn't sit well with me. While it's unlikely the entire safe would be stolen or lost, if it was they would get all of your guns in one event. I don't think the guns will ride well in the safe unless they were all in soft cases and packed in a manner that they couldn't move around inside the safe. I don't know how many guns we're talking about but at the very least I would take personal control of the hand guns and remove the bolts from the long guns. I would take digital photographs of all of the guns (close up of the serial #, close up of the makers markings and an overall photo). Give those photos (digital files) to someone trusted or burn them to a CD and mail it to yourself (snail mail if you have a PO box in TN already or e-mail)

I don't think you'll have any issues transporting your own property through other states on your way to your new residence. The odds are very good that the trip will be uneventful. If you have to spent the night at a motel en-route, you may want the handguns in a suitcase that can be discretely placed in your room for the night.

This is very do-able with a bit of planning.

Good Luck ! and welcome to the right coast, or at least closer to it!!

JohnH
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Breath the free air my friend

richhodg66
06-02-2016, 08:03 AM
I'd load it all up in whatever I was using to move with, and keep my mouth shut, and drive carefully.

This. I would also try real hard to move as much of that stuff, guns included in whatever vehicle I was driving. It's not like we have check points (yet) in the country. Mind your manners and you won't have problems.

I did have commercial movers move guns and reloading stuff to and from Alaska and didn't have problems. Seems Canada allowed you to move 1,000 primers, 1,000 rounds of ammo and ten pounds of powder at the time and long guns were no problem. I drove right through and had no problems, the Canadian authorities were actually a lot more courteous and easier to deal with than US customs coming back into Montana. Niether side searched the truck, I was honest with them about what I had, and apparently I didn't look threatening. Military orders probably helped.

Now, I wouldn't let a mover move my guns, even if I had to pay out of pocket for a U haul to move them myself. Too much likelihood of theft and I personally get nervous about detailed inventory lists of anything I own, guns included. I'm glad I'm retired from the Army, the only other move I'll ever make is to the cemetery a few miles north of here.

NavyVet1959
06-02-2016, 08:50 AM
My experience with commercial movers is that you are paying someone to damage your property instead of being able to do it yourself. They will try to manhandle a safe even if you tell them that they need a lift gate on the back of their truck. They will side it on it's side and you'll have scratches through the paint and into the metal. There is no way I would leave my firearms in a safe that was being moved by commercial movers. They will lay it on its side, back, upside-down, whatever is necessary to move it and they don't care what damage is done to it, much less what might be rattling around inside of it. And then when you try to claim damage, they will refuse the claim. Avoid these crooks if at all possible.

Bent Ramrod
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Second and third on the proposal to drive the guns and hazmat yourself. Rent a U-Haul if necessary. Let the movers take care of the safe and the other tonnage.

Sadly, the fact that you are asking the question indicates you have spent too much time in California already. I was there for 24 years, and when I returned to the United States I was astounded at how much I could do without having to consult a statute book, an activist, or a lawyer. I'm still a lot more timid than my friends here, but I'm gradually getting better.

Yesterday, a guy at the rifle range took his tactical sniper rifle out of its case, screwed a big ole silencer on the end, and proceeded to "pop" away at the 500m gong! I was astounded at first and then remembered I was back in the Land of the Free.

Best advice is to go about your business keeping as low a profile as possible. Be a little more "defensive" in your driving than even what you do normally and you should get there in good shape.

wiljen
06-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks Jupiter! East TN, about 45 min East of Knoxville.

I appreciate all the input everyone.

I'm in Kingsport, so you cant be too far away and be 45 minutes east of knoxville.

mozeppa
06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
i lost my 125 pounds of powder in a tragic boating accident, along with every thing else.:cry:

edctexas
06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Yes movers can "lose" a 1000 lb 6 ft high gun safe. After I assured them it was empty, they "found" it ( took a couple weeks). Major carrier too!
Ed C

Tracy
06-06-2016, 11:40 PM
There is some good advice in this thread: that you move the guns, powder and primers yourself, drive conservatively and keep your mouth shut about it. I would add, don't have anything visible that suggests guns. I would also research which states are "must inform," and try to plan my trip so as to avoid those.

There are also some comments that you would be well advised to take with a grain of salt: references to Tennessee as a "free state," claims that we don't have checkpoints (yet), etc.

Tennessee has no state income tax, true. They miss no trick when it comes to making up for that "shortcoming" (as they see it), especially when they see out of state tags. Lots of Tennessee cops will dream up all kinds of excuses to pull you over, primarily to see if you are carrying anything worth stealing. They will claim suspicion of wrongdoing so they can take everything of value in your vehicle. Theoretically you can get the stuff back if you are somehow found not guilty. Guess what? You can't be found not guilty if you are never actually charged with anything. Podunk sheriffs and DAs are well aware of this, as are the state troopers.

As for checkpoints, Tennessee has a propensity for huge, multi-jurisdictional road blocks where they stop everyone passing through, looking for anything that brings money to the state and various agencies involved.
If the stuff you are moving is worth very much, I would research TN lawyers and try to find one who is not corrupt (good luck with that) and make contact with him/her before you make the move. Then have the lawyer on speed-dial. Keep stuff out of sight, don't answer stupid questions, don't consent to any search, don't exit the vehicle if pulled over unless you absolutely have to (and even then try to get your lawyer on the phone, and lock the door behind you), and preferably just stay on I-40 all the way through the state. Although they have been known to have their illegal road blocks on Interstates.

I'm sure this will upset some of the TN residents on here. Oh well. Just trying to help you out, lest you actually believe all the hype about Tennessee "freedom." TN is a beautiful state and has lots of great people, yes. But the things I just warned you about are also true.

GONRA
06-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Decades ago, GONRA done this with Really Bad Stuff.
Drive carefully, don't stop except to fillup with gas and take a whizz,
carry peanuts and apple juice to eat, keep yer mouth shut....

higgins
06-11-2016, 07:55 PM
In 50 years of driving in Tennessee, I have never seen a roadblock on an interstate; I'm not saying it's never happened but it's certainly not likely to happen. Also been through damn few sobriety or license checkpoints on secondary highways. If I was that paranoid about driving through a state I would drive around it.

Ravenhawk57
06-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Mr Higgins I have a small business in east Tn at the foothills of the Smokies and I can assure you that road blocks are conducted in the local areas around here on a regular basis. In town and in the rural areas. I am usually informed when it is going to happen and can alert my workers. Some of our freedoms have gone missing.

Tracy
06-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Here are the posted Tn Highway Patrol roadblocks just from this month: https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/attachments/jun2016_checkpoints.pdf

They list two of them as being Interstate off ramps. They're known to lie about that though, and lots of other things besides.
http://www.copblock.org/137023/tn-highway-patrol-stops-posting-checkpoint-locations-on-website-after-continuous-bad-headlines/

Here's one of their major roadblock events a few years ago. My dad was stopped and questioned during this one, where they had the Interstate blocked and were stopping everyone. He was not driving a commercial vehicle.
http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2010/06/25/tennessee-highway-patrol-conducts-24-hour-multi-agency-commercial-vehicle-check/

And here's a video about what's going on in TN:

https://youtu.be/WTeH9D_tN-k

Tracy
06-11-2016, 11:33 PM
Here's another one:

https://youtu.be/2aI2nNr9Tik

Breathe the free air, indeed.

richhodg66
06-12-2016, 12:41 AM
Didn't realize Tennesee had that kind of situation.

Maybe move to Kansas? Gotta tell you, we have it pretty good here with regards to gun friendliness and just general level headedness of the populace here including state and local governments.

clum553946
06-12-2016, 02:24 AM
Congrats & good luck on your endeavor! I'm still stuck here!

Tracy
06-12-2016, 11:43 PM
Didn't realize Tennesee had that kind of situation.

Maybe move to Kansas? Gotta tell you, we have it pretty good here with regards to gun friendliness and just general level headedness of the populace here including state and local governments.

That's good to hear. I've been across Kansas a couple times and liked it, but I had started avoiding it because Kansas didn't honor my state's CCW license and there was no state preemption on open carry. I hear that has changed for the better this year.

Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi are all ahead of Tennessee in the gun rights thing. Well, except for Alabama's refusal to allow unlicensed, loaded carry in a vehicle. Hopefully they'll get with the times soon. Even Tennessee charged their law for the better, on that one thing.

alamogunr
06-13-2016, 01:27 AM
Obviously, Tracy has had a bad experience in Tennessee. I have never encountered a roadblock on an interstate highway. About a year ago, I was stopped because I had forgotten to renew my vehicle tags. When I showed the trooper my driver's license, which had to be removed from the holder, he saw my carry permit which was behind the driver's license. He asked me if I was armed. Since I live in a small town and was near home, I wasn't. He asked me "Why not? You should be".

BTW, all the info about which states to avoid in a move will probably help those escaping from CA and similar states but is of little use to me. Despite what Tracy says, I'm staying in Tennessee.

OH! I don't think he asked the question so he could confiscate my weapon. Most troopers are pro carry.

JMax
06-13-2016, 11:44 AM
We escaped CA a year and half ago, used commercial mover for house hold and a U Haul truck and trailer to moved a second car (wife drove first one) plus tools and work benches. Drove through TN a lovely state and no problems.

Chris24
06-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm from TN also. I grew up in MS and they seemed to have a lot more roadblocks there, actually. I've been here over a decade and have only seen a handful. I do usually stay out of the smaller towns, though. Some are notorious for corrupt local sheriffs. The big city cops have pulled me over a few times, but I act cool and they usually just give me a warning. Almost every time, I had my rifles and ammo in my car.

TybrneRyan
06-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the input.

I planned on taking all my firearms,powder primers ect with me in either my vehicle or Uhaul and let the movers move the bulky stuff.

Going to be a long drive.

Geezer in NH
06-15-2016, 07:17 PM
If I was that paranoid about driving through a state I would drive around it.Why I will never cross into NJ.

Shiloh
06-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Once you leave CA, what are you worried about?

AMEN BUDDY!!!
I immediately thought the same thing.

SHiloh

Shiloh
06-15-2016, 08:13 PM
If you have more than 25 lbs but less than 50, make a wooden magazine.
Or, put it in separate boxes and put it in different parts of the car.

Safety check your vehicle. Obey the speed and traffic laws.

Shiloh

TCLouis
07-26-2016, 09:11 PM
So are you settled into some part of Tennessee now?

wv109323
08-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I would use a rental truck and tow the second vehicle.Along with guns I would put all my tools and toolboxes in the same truck. Use a padlock on the truck. Put the guns,safes and such in first and cover it with normal household furniture. Make sure the truck is full. If some one pulls you over, they will not know the bulk of your household furniture is in another truck. It will appear that you are moving in just one truck and the truck is full of normal stuff.

kmrra
12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
If it was me ,, just load up the vehicle and get the hell out of California

SciFiJim
12-05-2016, 10:20 PM
If it was me ,, just load up the vehicle and get the hell out of California

That's what I did in August. Now I am happily settled in San Antonio!

duckey
12-05-2016, 11:27 PM
I moved this summer with less than 25 lbs of powder and a few thousand primers. Separated primers and powder between ammo cans and locked em up. I locked my guns up in Plano cases (cheap ones form Bass Pro) and I was complaint with NY law (where I moved....not by choice) Of course my pistols cold not come with as I didn't have the NY permit.

square butte
12-06-2016, 09:17 AM
SciFiJim - I bet you are gonna miss those apricot trees in your back yard. I am sure you won't miss the air quality problems and CA issues in general. Glad you found a new spot to call home.

JMax
12-06-2016, 11:57 AM
We escaped CA two years ago to move to VA. Loaded guns, powder, ammo and primers plus tools and work benches in a UHaul with a car on a trailer had wife follow in my truck. Took 5 days and drove through free states once we hit the AZ border. We moved in and a few neighbors helped move my stuff into the house and garage and commented on how little I had (about 2 tons). Then I knew it was a great move. Now those who I left behind are asking about moving to VA. Lower taxes, gun shops all over, 3 ranges within 30 minutes, shall issue CHP makes it a very nice place to retire to plus grand kids are close.

kmrra
12-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I could not live and will not live under the constraints that some states have ,

NavyVet1959
12-06-2016, 10:23 PM
I could not live and will not live under the constraints that some states have ,

Well, it's taken us quite awhile to get rid of many of the remnants of when we were occupied by the Yankee oppressors after the War of Northern Aggression.

Dan Cash
12-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Pack your guns so they won't get dinged. Pack the powder and primers where they are safe from fire and load your truck. Don't speed and obey other traffic laws. In two or three days, welcome to TN.