PDA

View Full Version : What Dust Mask to Get? Casting and Smelting

psychbiker
05-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I have about 3 five gallon buckets of range scrap to smelt and I cast in my garage with garage door up half way and fan blowing out.

What gas mask system would work the best? Read a P100 is the way to go it there are several on Amazon.

Jal5
05-31-2016, 10:49 PM
I do all smelting outside and stand upwind. Casting is in the garage with a fan blowing anything away and out the door. I don't use a mask for either task.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWT
05-31-2016, 10:58 PM
I do the same as Jal5

Ickisrulz
06-01-2016, 06:53 AM
If the smoke bothers you, a P100 would help with that. Depending what is on your lead, a combination P100/Organic Vapor cartridge might be better.

JSnover
06-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Range scrap should be cleaner than most other scrap and by the time your lead is turned into ingots it should be very clean. Wear a mask if you feel the need but don't lose a lot of sleep over it unless you have a sensitivity to the smoke from fluxing.

Mal Paso
06-01-2016, 09:05 AM
Norton is my choice in masks. They are made of silicone and will last years. A/O has the biggest distribution here but uses rubber that falls apart quickly. They think you should buy a new mask every year. Have not tried 3M as the Norton works so well. The seal to your face is at least as important as the filter and Norton has a good seal.

The boiling point of lead is over 3000F, lead vapor is not an issue. Bits of plastic shotgun wad and other stuff isn't good to breath and I wear a mask until that cooks off.

Ickisrulz
06-01-2016, 09:54 AM
The seal to your face is at least as important as the filter...

People who wear respirators occupationally are fit tested to ensure their mask fits properly.

When wearing a respirator a clean shave, properly adjusted and correct fitting mask will help with the seal.

mold maker
06-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Don't bother with a mask just for lead. Don't breath the smoke or the dust from the dross. They are the obvious problems, but the trash and junk being burned are as bad, or worse.
Fresh air replacing the above is far more important. Stay upwind whether natural draft or created.
If using a fan, place it on the other side of your pot PULLING the nasties away, instead of behind you pushing because the natural eddies will actually draw the smoke to you before being swept away.
The dust from the dross is the major problem for inhalation. Not allowing it to become airborne is a must as it contaminates everything nearby.
Of course, cleanliness is an absolute must before eating drinking or smoking.
The best safety feature available is between your ears. Common sense and forethought will keep you safe.

dragon813gt
06-01-2016, 11:33 AM
People who wear respirators occupationally are fit tested to ensure their mask fits properly.

When wearing a respirator a clean shave, properly adjusted and correct fitting mask will help with the seal.

Yep, which is why I won't shave my beard. I've been in enough hazardous environments in my life. I don't need to go into any place that requires a respirator. Plenty of other guys that are young and dumb can do it.

I will say being handed a SCBA tank when working in a chemical plant is a little scary. Job was 8 hours away so I had to do the work. My fingers were crossed the entire time that nothing went wrong. If it did the chemical reaction would form chloroform which would wipe out everyone in the valley. Pretty scary when you think about it.

For casting related activities I don't bother. Smelting is done outside, never inside. Stay upwind and you should be fine. For casting I don't put anything in the pot besides lead so there is nothing to worry about.

williamwaco
06-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Jal5 +1.

OS OK
06-01-2016, 12:48 PM
If you are convinced you need one, as stated above fit is crucial.
Unplug your filter(s) and place your palms over the holes…suck in…if you can get air, it is not fitting correctly. Adjust until you get no air.

WFO2
06-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Look up donning and doffing a respirator . For my first cast I had a small table fan blowing across the pot . When I start smelting I will stand up wind and be outside .

Echo
06-09-2016, 10:19 AM
All my smelting is done outside. No respirator, a wind deflector on my turkey cooker, short-sleeved knit shirt (or long-sleeved denim shirt, depending), shorts, no face mask - I wear safety-satisfactory glasses - and dam* well wear socks inside my old shoes - the idea of a splash of lead getting between my foot and my shoe isn't entertaining, although i seldom splash. Cooker set up on old picnic table and oriented according to any wind - and I won't smelt if there is much wind.

robg
06-14-2016, 01:46 PM
I used a respro bandit bandana on my motor bike it has a peice of activated charcoal panel inside ,very effective couldn't even smell diesel when behind a truck or bus in traffic ,so that's what I use when casting etc.use fan etc as well.