PDA

View Full Version : went to the range this morning

dpoe001
05-30-2016, 07:29 PM
was looking thru the safe on Sunday,pulled out a box of reloads that couldn't read the date on the paper the ink was only a few little splotches. Time for me to shoot theses looking at the head stamps i just laughed! They still kept a real nice group !! I could guess on the decade these were loaded,i moved all the ammo in the back to the front.

KnotRight
05-30-2016, 08:09 PM
dpoe, I too went to the range this weekend and pulled out some 38s because I did not want to chase brass. Looked on the dates of the loads and one was from 1981 and the other from 1982. Could not really tell a difference in the few new loaded rounds that I was trying out.

williamwaco
05-30-2016, 08:41 PM
I have about 200 left from a batch loaded in 1972.
.38 special
3 grains Bullseye
170 Keith style bullet
lubed with Lyman 50/50
For most of the time they were stored in a Texas garage at temperatures ranging from -8 to 118 degrees.
Today they fire 100% ans still produce 1" groups at 25 yards.

tazman
05-31-2016, 06:12 AM
I tend to keep my ammo stored in my basement since that is where my reloading room is located. Small amounts are put in boxes or bags and labeled accordingly then store on shelves. Large quantities are stored in sealed GI ammo cans with labels inside and out.
This habit served me well 2 years ago. For the first time ever, I got water in my basement after a rain storm to the depth of about 3 feet. The bags and boxes were all above the water. The ammo cans were under the water level but the seals held and all the ammo remained dry.
I have since moved and still keep my ammo in the basement of mu new house. Since the new house is built into the side of a hill, there is no chance of getting a flooded basement. I like this arrangement much better but the storage practices remain the same.
Some of that ammo was 25 years old and still functions as well as the day it was assembled.

FergusonTO35
05-31-2016, 12:07 PM
My taste in loadings changes too much for any of mine to last that long!

GunGuy2756
05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
I still have a bunch of Midway headstamped 45 Colt brass that I bought years ago. Last time I shot some out of my Rossi M92 I got a few splits in the case body.

Still have some 9mm that I loaded in 1987 in new R-P cases.

The oldest stuff I have is 1939 vintage Greek 8x57 heavy ball. I get an occasional dud here and there that usually fires on the 2nd strike.

dpoe001
05-31-2016, 09:50 PM
These would have been loaded around 90-91. lost my notes from 2005 and back due to a roof leak in my garage.So i can't even go back and look what powder i was using.They did really group quite well and all 100 went bang.I was surprised that i was at my local range for three hours and not one other person was there on a holiday.