PDA

View Full Version : RCBS "Big Max" Madness!

seagiant
05-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Hi,
As I have a find option set up on the Bay for Big Max presses....

I just saw one already bid close to $300 and still 5 days to go!

The "kicker" for me is it looks like it is missing BOTH adapters that hold the brass casing !

I did pay money for mine, hard to get a real "deal" on these and it was missing the J shellholder adapter, which I got from , ICH!

Just sayin, seems these, like other big, "not made any more" presses keep going for more money all the time?

Interesting where this one will end, with no adapters? (more money after you buy it!)

Ole Joe Clarke
05-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Prices on the bay are crazy, some of the Pacific shotshell loaders go for outrageous prices. I was amazed.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

flashhole
05-30-2016, 08:00 AM
I always put them on the watch list just for the entertainment factor. They do go for lots of money.

jmort
05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
I paid around $330 for mine. It is a fine specimen, but this a lot of $$$.

Walter Laich
05-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Like always the price is determined by what the buyer(s) will pay.

I was looking for some old-no longer made Ideal molds and the prices, when I could find them, made me think they were made of gold...or silver at least.

I'm sure to the collector who ended up with them thought they were worth the money. Someone pointed out I could have a custom mold made but haven't needed them that much, yet.

rda72927
05-30-2016, 12:53 PM
You just have to keep watching. In 2013 I had spent over 2 years watch for an A4, they were average around 400.00+. Then in a 3hour period I was able to buy 2 of them for 200.00 and 225.00 (including shipping). Same way on an Ohaus Dial-O-Grain, been running 450.00 or better. Got one yesterday for 175.00 on Feabay.

seagiant
05-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I looked for years for a CH4D "Champion" Press!

Finally got one for $180, on Ebay because it was just listed as a "HD Press"!

The owner didn't know what he had I guess!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Good thing i have a few at about 90% machined lol.

seagiant
05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Good thing i have a few at about 90% machined lol.

Hi,
Here's a pic from the one on E-Bay!

What you see is what you get, the seller said!

I don't see ANY adapters?????

So you buy a Big Max for $300++ and then need the adapters????

Gettin crazy out there!!!

rda72927
05-30-2016, 10:12 PM
If someone was to get an Big Max at the right price and it didn't have the shell holder, THEN SEE THE MAN IllinoisCoyoteHunter. He can fix you up with a perfect shell holder..

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-31-2016, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

EDG
06-01-2016, 02:29 AM
I got mine relatively cheap $204 shipped along with a Forster priming too (sold it for $35) and a RCBS 505 powder scale. It is the first 505 that I have owned. I like it better than the 3 5-10s that I have so one day one of those scales will reduce the money tied up in the Big Max.

It was always my theory I got it so cheap because it was missing the 3 fingered universal shell holder. Everyone coveted that shell holder when the Big Max came out but I never thought the universal was such a good idea so it was no skin off of my nose. It did come with the standard shell holder adapter but no priming tool.

I also got an A2 recently at about the same price and it was in very nice condition but was missing the seater plugs for the priming arm. I have not seated primers on a press in more than 40 years so it was no loss for me.

seagiant
06-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Hi,
I've never heard of the Big Max, saleing for much less than $300, but...

The adapters get into the mix and RCBS does not have them now!

Just thought this BM on E-Bay was "funny" because it had 5 days to go was almost $300 already and had NO adapters!!!

I have spent YEARS trying to find a few big presses at a reasonable price.

Something you have to remember is a few popular, not made any more presses like the Big Max, are going to have a increase in price all the time.

Question is, buy now at top price OR wait for that "deal"!

EDG
06-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I saw that BM the day it came on Ebay. The 7/8"-14 adapter is missing also. Said the guy only loaded .50 BMG.
Those prices are going to keep increasing until some one markets a big press again.
I remember passing up all those big Bairs, Pacifics and A2s because they cost $75 to $100 (the price of a good used rifle) when I could get a Rockchucker for $35.
Surprise, surprise the big presses are still as expensive as a good used rifle.

Hi,
I've never heard of the Big Max, saleing for much less than $300, but...

The adapters get into the mix and RCBS does not have them now!

Just thought this BM on E-Bay was "funny" because it had 5 days to go was almost $300 already and had NO adapters!!!

I have spent YEARS trying to find a few big presses at a reasonable price.

Something you have to remember is a few popular, not made any more presses like the Big Max, are going to have a increase in price all the time.

Question is, buy now at top price OR wait for that "deal"!

jmort
06-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Freaking seagiant got me hooked on these RCBS A series. Just got another real nice A2, real real nice.

EDG
06-01-2016, 06:07 PM
The A series are the root of all evil. I started out looking for an A2 and almost bought an A2 or A3 without the bushing (I think it was an A2) but it was like mint new. While I was indecisive someone else got it. I redoubled my efforts to get a bushing top A2 and within a few months to a year the A4 popped up.

jmort
06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
I have 2 A2s, one with bushing and one without. Have a Big Max. seagiant has cost me a bundle. Love those presses.

Harter66
06-01-2016, 06:28 PM
I just gave $100 for 1 on a local FB board . Does that make me lucky or criminal?

I need the regular shell holder for it but now I know who to call.

The guy was so happy to see it go he threw in prvi 100+- x39 brass .

jmort
06-01-2016, 06:40 PM
"Does that make me lucky or criminal?"

Both

Carolina Man
06-01-2016, 11:04 PM
ICH is quite a craftsman, I think RCBS should consider reintroducing the adapters and contract with ICH.

seagiant
06-02-2016, 06:53 AM
I have 2 A2s, one with bushing and one without. Have a Big Max. seagiant has cost me a bundle. Love those presses.

Hi,
That's funny!

One has to remember,"A collector, is only ONE step above a hoarder!"

I have 5 Dillon RL-300's, but had to repair/ search/wait for parts to complete some of them!

I guess an Angel get's their wings somewhere, when you save a reloading press!!!

Mort, now you need the CH Champion, that IS a hard one to get a "deal" on and took me years!

seagiant
06-02-2016, 07:00 AM
I just gave $100 for 1 on a local FB board . Does that make me lucky or criminal?

I need the regular shell holder for it but now I know who to call.

The guy was so happy to see it go he threw in prvi 100+- x39 brass .

Hi,
That's how you want to buy them, BUT....

Does not always turn out that way!

I don't see anyone losing money on ANY of the discussed presses and you get to enjoy them in the mean time!!!

Ole Joe Clarke
06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
You guys are so funny, like little kids. :-) I tell my wife that I am in my second childhood when I find something I want.

I used to think I could buy Martin guitars for an investment, but I soon discovered that my checking account wasn't that deep. I'd rather play one than put it under the bed.

jmort
06-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Went for $322.05
Wow, 26 bids. The market is bullish on the RCBS uber presses.

seagiant
06-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Went for $322.05
Wow, 26 bids. The market is bullish on the RCBS uber presses.

Hi,
Yea....Now he only needs TWO more adapters to make it complete!!!

Can we say $400/$500, Boys and Girls!!!

lotech
06-04-2016, 04:30 PM
I bought a Big Max, complete, about twenty-five years ago at a gun shop auction in Dallas. It was set up on a bench as a demonstration model. I bid $10.00 and won, probably because no one knew what it was. While it's a great press that sees frequent use, it's probably more press than any of us really need. Apparently, it wasn't very popular until it went out of production.

lotech
06-04-2016, 04:56 PM
The late Bob Hagel wrote up an evaluation of the Big Max in HANDLOADER #102, March-April, 1983.

seagiant
06-04-2016, 09:14 PM
The late Bob Hagel wrote up an evaluation of the Big Max in HANDLOADER #102, March-April, 1983.

Hi,
How hard would it be to get a copy of that????????

M-Tecs
06-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Hi,

Me too. Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!

lotech
06-04-2016, 11:22 PM
From "lotech" it would be difficult...

You may be able to find it online through Wolfe Publishing.

M-Tecs
06-05-2016, 12:35 AM
https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl102partial.pdf this does not show the pages for the Big Max.

M-Tecs
06-05-2016, 02:30 AM
Hi,

Found one on a auction site. If I win it I will get you a copy.

seagiant
06-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Found one on a auction site. If I win it I will get you a copy.

Hi,
Thanks, very nice of you!!!

I've used my Big Max some since getting my adapter from ICH, and it is a REALLY smooth press!

I 'm sure as we get more used to each other, it will be a favorite!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-05-2016, 10:38 AM
M-Tecs, if you win that I will gladly pay you for a copy of that article. It would certainly be an interesting read!

jmort
06-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Me three

Love getting info on these old presses. Was happy to get the Antique Reloading Tool Collector's Association Issue #15 from September 2008 covering the steel RCBS swaging/reloading presses covering the A series and ending with the model B. would love to get the skinny on the Big Max.

seagiant
06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Me three

Love getting info on these old presses. Was happy to get the Antique Reloading Tool Collector's Association Issue #15 from September 2008 covering the steel RCBS swaging/reloading presses covering the A series and ending with the model B. would love to get the skinny on the Big Max.

Hi,
I'm just about 100% sure that great article on the RCBS A2's was done by "Pressman"!!!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes it was! It is a very good article and helped me with my collection of A series presses (and my Model B too!).

M-Tecs
06-05-2016, 08:29 PM
If I win it I will provide copies to whoever wants. I am heading out of town for a couple of weeks of fishing and prairie dog shooting so if I win it will be after that. I would love to get a copy of the "Antique Reloading Tool Collector's Association Issue #15 from September 2008 covering the steel RCBS swaging/reloading presses covering the A series and ending with the model B."

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-05-2016, 10:14 PM
www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/ARTCA/ARTCA15.pdf (http://www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/ARTCA/ARTCA15.pdf)

M-Tecs
06-08-2016, 07:08 PM
I did win the auction. As I stated I will be out of town fishing and shooting prairie dogs until the end of the month so I can not send until early July.

I would prefer to scan and e-mail but I can do hard copies if needed. In the old days lots of this type stuff was posted here but not so much anymore. Copyright issues????

Any suggestions on the best method to share the article?

jmort
06-08-2016, 07:20 PM
"I would prefer to scan and e-mail but I can do hard copies if needed.
Any suggestions on the best method to share the article?"

Email scan of article as is your preference. I will PM you my email address.
Thank You in advance.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I did win the auction. As I stated I will be out of town fishing and shooting prairie dogs until the end of the month so I can not send until early July.

I would prefer to scan and e-mail but I can do hard copies if needed. In the old days lots of this type stuff was posted here but not so much anymore. Copyright issues????

Any suggestions on the best method to share the article?

Hunting and fishing till the end of the month! Now that is a real problem. :-) If you can scan and save as a pdf booklet, you can print and mail hard copies or email copies to who ever you wish.

seagiant
06-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Hi,
Thanks M-Tec!

PM inbound!

tstowater
06-09-2016, 07:38 AM
If I was going prairie dog shooting until the end of the month, I would need a lot more ammo and a trailer to haul it in. We usually last about 3-4 days and then we are tired of shooting, but we go at it pretty hard. Suppose we could set up a portable loading rig if needed so that we could load during down time. M-Tecs, have a great trip. We were out a couple weeks ago and the little ones were just coming up but the cold weather slowed things down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Weaponologist
06-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Well, My new toy arrived today, Want to give a big Thank you to Seagiant for teaching me how to find these rare beauties. Once I decided I wanted one I didn't know they were like unicorns when it came to finding one. Or at least finding one with all the accessories that came with it from the factory.
I'm happy and Lucky to be able to tell you I found one like new in the box, the only flaw is a little powder coating chipped off around the hole where the handle goes. and all the extras, In fact, it has so many accessories that the instruction manual doesn't go into enough detail. I'm not 100% on how the auto shell holder releases once you put a shell holder in it? And I have a tube of grease that looks as if it has graphite in it? Did RCBS want everything on the A4 to be greased with this?... Anyway,,Look it over and tell me what you think....

jmort
06-18-2016, 06:38 PM
^^^ That looks real nice. Good for you.

tstowater
06-18-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question but you do not use a shell holder in the auto shell holder. The shell holder adjusts to the brass so no shell holders are needed. Nice looking A4.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

seagiant
06-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Hi,
Wow!

That's a nice one!

I have a few chips on the PC on mine and was missing the shellholder adapter too!

I still bought it, and got an adapter from ICH and called myself lucky!!!

Yes, the adapter with the 3 little "arms" actually holds the brass!

Mine came with that adapter and seems to work ok, but....

It's nice to have the option, to use, what you are used to! (J shellholders)

Weaponologist
06-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks Guys,
I was going to update my post, The Instructions where faded vary badly so when my son came in he read it to me. and I found out what you just said. the so called Auto Shell Holder is not for the (Shell Holder) it's for the brass like a Co-Ax press. It fits all but the biggest rim cases out there like the 45-70 and so on.. Also. the tube of black grease is a freebie from somewhere but not RCBS....lol... I have everything listed in the box and a few other special gifts that may have just fell in the box from the bench...hahaha.. But that's ok.. Thanks for everything guys. now to go to Inline Fabrication and order my A4 quick change plate. Now that I have this power house. let me know if any one of our members are making specialty tools for it.. I've gotten some great upgrades from members here.

seagiant
06-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Thanks Guys,
I was going to update my post, The Instructions where faded vary badly so when my son came in he read it to me. and I found out what you just said. the so called Auto Shell Holder is not for the (Shell Holder) it's for the brass like a Co-Ax press. It fits all but the biggest rim cases out there like the 45-70 and so on.. Also. the tube of black grease is a freebie from somewhere but not RCBS....lol... I have everything listed in the box and a few other special gifts that may have just fell in the box from the bench...hahaha.. But that's ok.. Thanks for everything guys. now to go to Inline Fabrication and order my A4 quick change plate. Now that I have this power house. let me know if any one of our members are making specialty tools for it.. I've gotten some great upgrades from members here.

Hi,
For me, the big presses give a smooth effortless feeling while reloading!

I think that is the biggest thing you will notice, of course the ease of resizing .308/30-06 size cases are another!

Also be careful!

You are now on a slippery slope and you will have to fight the urge of obtaining other big presses along the way to Nirvana!

(Don't ask me how I know this!)