PDA

View Full Version : breaking in new barrel

compass will
05-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I have read both sides of the story for breaking in a new barrel for condom bullets, but what about lead boolits?

I have a 22-250 fluted bull barrel in 24". All I plan to shoot is lead (at least in the beginning). Anything special I should do? or just "go shoot it"?

runfiverun
05-15-2008, 06:25 PM
i would go shoot it and watch for leading, don't get the bbl hot.

docone31
05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I have been told, read, had implied, come to the conclusion, changed my mind, etc, etc, etc, about barrel break in.
Sometimes I wonder.
I have four "new" meaning unfired barrels in four rifles. .243, 25-06, .308.
Copper is soft, lead is soft, there are machine marks in the barrels, no matter what polishing was, is, had been, done.
I do believe break in is critical, just like an automobile. Do it right, and the vehicle endures at least for its expected life span. Perhaps same with barrels. Neglect is another issue.
I have come to believe, that with normal break in on a barrel, then paper patching will make the barrel shine like a mirror. Of course, under magnification, even glass is imperfect.
The Tubbs system moves the rifling forward a percentage, ordinary shooting also moves the rifling forward, although slowly.
With your 22-250, I would put some copper through it for a bit. That will eliminate any burrs that can be snapped off inside the barrel. Feathers I believe they are called. Then I might try some lead. If the fouling is a bit much, aside from bullet thickness causing it, I might try some more copper jacketed. Then lead. Watch the firing heat. My range master told me if I cannot kiss the barrel, back off then shoot.
From that point, I would consider paper jacketing. Paper can really polish steels. I worked in a paper plant years ago. The cutter blades aside from getting dull from impacting the paper, were really polished without losing thicknes.
That is what I would do. I have been wrong before, but it makes sense to me.

Bass Ackward
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
This is a question that is always debated.

But most of the debate occurred before component costs jumped like they have.

In the end, the question is best asked of the barrel.

If it needs something, do it.

If it needs a little something but you are still happy with what it is giving you, just shoot it.

Just remember, there is a difference between correcting dimensional issues and polishing to a mirror finish. Lead will polish, but it polishes in the same dimensional imperfections. So determine what you need and shoot the right metal to deal with the right problem.