PDA

View Full Version : New bench for Smithy Granite

44man
05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I just finished my new bench. It is made from white oak that was hit by lightning in my woods.
The box on the left will fit into it to hold tools and metal. Yeah, I did a lot of sanding in the basement and it will all need cleaned of dust. :-?
I got the CB1220 out of the basement and need to get the Granite down the steps yet.
Any of you have a spare gorilla? :mrgreen:

44man
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I had to charge the camera before taking a picture. But here it is.

leftiye
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow! Nice bench. Sounds like you have some woodworking tools too.

44man
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I do but with the boat in the garage I have to move machines as I need them and is the reason my metal lathe needs to be in the basement. I really need another garage.
Anyway, here is the pie safe I made the wife. The dog gate between the kitchen and the rest of the house also and they were made from the same tree. I hate to waste good wood for the stove! :drinks:

44man
05-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I also made a Stickly coffee table from the same tree. I have oak, cherry and walnut in the barn. I had a bunch of ash but used most of it up.
What really hurts is that red oak just dies on me and it rots so fast I can't salvage it. I will not cut a live tree.
White oak lasts forever.
I can look at real wood all day and hate plastic and cheap furniture.

leftiye
05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Most of the rest of us are stuck with particle board. You can't find real wood anymore, and you can't afford it if you do. Unless you make your own like you do, that is. Nice looking furniture! I was trained in cabinet making, but I long ago went over to the "dark side" and machine tools LOL!

44man
05-16-2008, 07:18 PM
The trouble is that good wood needs to be dry. Some of mine has been in the barn many years but I still cut it close and leave it in the basement for a few months to dry more. My basement is about 45 to 50% humidity.
My first Smithy bench was made from green wood because I needed it quick. WOW, did it shrink. Never got weak though.

RayinNH
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
leftiye, wood doesn't grow on trees you know.:)...Ray