PDA

View Full Version : Knight KP1

Maineboy
05-28-2016, 09:45 PM
I was in the market for a synthetic stock-stainless steel 30-06 or 308 to hunt with in rain and snow and yesterday I happened on a synthetic-stainless Knight KP1 in 30-06 with a companion 50 caliber barrel. By coincidence I was also keeping an eye out for a stainless in-line muzzle loader to replace my Thompson Center Renegade. So, thinking this is the way to go, I bought the package. After taking it home and doing some research, I discovered that folks had problems with the trigger-safety mechanism and after firing it today, I learned my gun doesn't function as it should. There is a small "decocking" safety lever located on the left side of the hammer that should remain in the fire position but recoil moves it to the safe position. After firing and reloading, I have to cock the hammer. AND move the decocking safety before firing. When I got back home I zip tied the decocking lever to the hammer keeping it in the fire position. The gun is equipped with a transfer bar safety so in my mind, the decocking safety is redundant.

Overall, I like this gun. It is comfortable to shoot from the bench and while I did not really wring it out, it shot several factory 150 and 180 grain loads well and several of my favorite cast boolit loads did very well. I would have tried the muzzle loading barrel but I didn't have any 209 primers.

Tatume
05-29-2016, 06:43 AM
You really should figure out what is defective and fix it.

Tenbender
05-29-2016, 11:13 AM
I bought a KP-1 the other day in 4570. I read the same thing about the safety / de-cocker malfunction. My rifle does not have the safety / de-cocker on it ? Don't know if it has been removed or a later factory mod ? Anyway I have not been to the range yet. Don't want to buy factory rounds or factory boolits. Have not been able to find a 350gr or 405gr mold that I want yet.
The KP-1 is a nice rifle. Points like a single shot shotgun and the 8.5 lb.'s is balanced well.
Anyone out there having a mold to part with let me know. Don't want a Lee but open for anything else.

Maineboy
05-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Apparently it's a design flaw and shortly after it's introduction and the recognition of the problem, a replacement trigger was offered. It may have been standard in later guns Mine has a pretty low serial number. I've used and been happy with the Lee 405 grain mold in my Marlin for years, it's inexpensive and almost as accurate as the Ranch Dog 350 grain boolit.