PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory TRP 1911

jrayborn
05-28-2016, 03:12 PM
I find myself without a full-sized 1911 handgun for the first time in many years. I am contemplating ordering a stainless TRP. Does anyone own one and care to share an opinion? Is there another similar (non-Kimber) option at a similar price point? I'd welcome any input anyone would care to give...

Bigslug
05-28-2016, 10:14 PM
I've got considerable experience with middle-to-high-end Springfields that are getting a pretty high round count. Solid guns with solid support from the factory. They use a narrower, .38 Super spec firing pin and channel on all models, but other than that, they're GI as far as the internals go.

The TRP trim package is, IMO, about as high as you can go with a semi-custom 1911 before the law of diminishing returns begins to kick in - and kick in HARD. Up to this, you can usually really see the difference in the price points as far as tolerances go. Much above this. . .yeah, you can spend a lot more and get a little tighter, but I have to ask, "What's the point of a sniper rifle with no stock, no scope, a 5" barrel, and a 50 yard cartridge?"

jrayborn
05-28-2016, 10:27 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The TRP seems to have everything I want without being a custom. I am really into it.

Swindler1
05-29-2016, 12:06 AM
I own two :) The stainless and the armory kote. Stainless sits in the safe and has less than 200 rounds through it. The armory kote gun has over 10,000 rounds through it and has NEVER failed. It will feed anything I load in it. I swear I think I could pound a rock in a case and it would feed. This is what I carry when I carry.

From SA web site,,pistols are intentionally designed to work under the worst conditions you’ll encounter.

Lloyd Smale
05-29-2016, 06:10 AM
I'm not a big fan of springfield 1911s. Ive had a couple lemons. That said I had a trp back when they first came out and it wasn't one of them. It was actually one of the best 1911s ive owned. It got traded years ago when I was flush with 1911s but I sure wouldn't pass on a good deal on one today.

harley45
05-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I have one with a rail that I use to make holsters with. I have about 1k rounds thru it and it has been flawless! I'd rate it at about 90 percent of what my Wilson Combat is.

Tradhunter
05-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Can't go wrong! I have a stainless model. Shoots great and runs flawless.