PDA

View Full Version : Promo results

singleshotbuff
05-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Gentlemen,

We have discussed Alliants Promo powder here, mostly in chat, so I decided to give it a try. I bought an 8lb jug locally for $79.50 tax included out the door, and used Red Dot data as a starting point to work up loads.

Here are my first results;

38 Special (6" bbl Colt Officers Model Target revolver)

Primer: Win small pistol
Case: Winchester
Charge: 3.1grs Promo
Boolit: 148gr WC

Ave velocity: 753 f.p.s.
High: 781 f.p.s.
Low: 705 f.p.s.

380 ACP (Bersa)

Primer: Magtech 1 1/2 small pistol
Case: Mixed headstamps
Charge: 2.5grs Promo
Boolit: 105gr LRN

Ave velocity: 865 f.p.s.

Notes: I think I have found my new target load for the 38, pending further accuracy testing.

Be aware, when loading extremely small charges of Promo, such as the 2.5gr/380 load, that Promo doesn't meter very well. At least in my Lee powder measure (disk type). My first batch with this load had a few near squibs, with extremely low velocities. At first I thought it was the primers (first try with Magtech primers), then as I loaded another batch, I CLOSELY inspected the powder level inside the charged cases. A few looked a little low, so I dumped them on the electronic scale. They weighed between 0.7 and 1.2grs. Too low obviously. May not be a problem with other powder measures, just something to be aware of. I'll probably switch to my Hornady measure for loading the 380s, since the Hornady did fine with the 3.1gr load in the 38 Special. The proper 2.5gr charges worked perfectly, no squibs.

So far I'm liking Promo, especially for the price. 8lbs will load a LOT of ammo with these charge weights.

I have also loaded some 45 Long Colt rounds with Promo, I'll post those results as soon as I run them over the chronograph.

SSB

runfiverun
05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
you running what 5 gr or so in the colt?

35remington
05-15-2008, 08:31 PM
You found the downside to all flake powders in many measures - light charges. There are a great many powders that will have the same problem - Unique, 700 and 800 X, Clays, and others.

rbstern
05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
SSB, thanks for posting this.

How dirty was it?

Also, regarding 380acp: After trying a bunch of powders, I settled on AA#2 for 380acp. It leaks out of the Lee disk meter a bit, but it's remarkably consistent in metering and at the range.

I generally won't load flake powders like Red Dot and Clays into a recipe less than 3.5 grains, and prefer 4.0 grains as a minimum, when using a Lee disk measure.

singleshotbuff
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Gentlemen,

Sorry for the delay in reporting further results, I've been busy loading shotshells for trap shooting.

As far as how dirty the powder is, it seems about the same as, or a little cleaner than Unique.

Today I finally ran the following load over the chronograph;

38 Special
Primer: Magtech #1.5 small pistol
Powder charge: 3.1grs Promo
Boolit: 358156 (w/o gascheck) at 163grs

First string

Ave velocity: 672 f.p.s.
High: 704 f.p.s.
Low: 644 f.p.s.

These were fired without thought to powder position. I noticed the velocities seemed to drop as I fired the string, so I wondered if recoil was settling the powder forward in the case. I fired the next string, elevating the muzzle before each shot was fired.

Second string

Ave velocity: 724 f.p.s.
High: 737 f.p.s.
Low: 710 f.p.s.

Much more consistent, which led me to try another string, pointing the muzzle down before each shot.

I didn't even bother to record the velocities. They were all in the 200 f.p.s. range!!

So it seems, at least at this charge level in a 38 special case, that Promo is position sensistive. I'm going to work up in charge weight to see if/when this tendency goes away. I'll keep posting the results.

SSb

HeavyMetal
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Something you might try is plastic shot buffer material loaded on top of the powder charge.

You want just enough to keep the powder in place once the boolit is seated but don't really want to get into huge amounts of powder compression.

I've found this is much better than COW as mositure absorbtion is not an issue.

I've had reasonably good success in both 38 special and 45 Colt rounds. I've used thumbler's plastic buffer material.

singleshotbuff
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Gentlemen,

I finally got around to chronographing some 45 Colt loads with Promo today.

The load was;

Primer: WLR
Powder charge: 6.7grs Promo
Boolit: 260gr LRNFP (Lee mold)

Ave. velocity: 865 f.p.s.

Gun used is a Ruger Blackhawk, with a 4 5/8" bbl.

Notes: I plan on using this load with Promo as my everyday plinking load in the 45 Colt, pending accuracy testing of course. Seems like a good load so far, and right in the velocity range I was looking for. Also, Promo didn't seem to show any position sensitivity with this charge, in this case. I'll be getting back to the 38spl loads soon to work on that problem.

SSB

rbstern
06-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Keep it coming, SSB. Thanks!

James C. Snodgrass
06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds good where did you find the powder at? I ain't heard of it but the wife says I'm under a rock any how.

singleshotbuff
06-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Accuracy test update:

The weather was so nice yesterday that I got a chance to do a little accuracy testing with Promo. I used the 45 Long Colt load listed above, and I shot at 25 yards from sandbags with my Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8".

I fired 5, 5-shot groups. Average group size was 2.974". If I discount 1 group with an obvious flyer, the average would be closer to 2.75".

Either way, I'm happy with sub 3" groups at 25 yards, considering the sight radius and my bad eyesight. This load has replaced HP-38 as my daily using 45LC load.

James,

Promo is a shotshell powder made by Alliant. I get mine from a local supplier of shotshell reloading goodies.

SSB

MtGun44
06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Lack of position sensitivity is why Titegroup is my favorite for pistol loads.
I won an 8lb bottle of Clays, and will slowly shoot it up in 4 gr incriments in
my .38 Spls, but TG is my std powder for low/normal pistol loads. Magnums
not included, just 'regular' stuff. Also ran across an 8lb bottle of SP8 nearly
for free, so am shooting that up in 9mm (which appears to be darned near
the only caliber it is good for!), when it is gone - TG. I haven't checked Clays
for *** sensitivty, but 4 gr isn't much in a .38 spl case ! The SP8 fills the case
full.

Promo tempted me for a while, but TG is pretty cheap, too and really is accurate
in the loads that I have tried. Thanks for the test data, I'll stick with TG, you
saved me running the same tests.

Good luck with it, everybody needs to find their best price point for their particular
set of calibers and load levels. Lots of good choices out there, often due to
'special deals' - like my two oddball 8lb bottles. Neither would be my first choice,
but for free and nearly free - take the bottle and run. [smilie=1:

Bill

singleshotbuff
06-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Bill,

I've heard lotsa of good things about TG, including the good price and reports of excellent accuracy. I went with Promo primarily because I'm shooting a lot of trap now and I can use it for 12ga loads. Trap is starting to get EXPENSIVE, with shot going through the roof and primers not far behind, so I'm looking to cut corners there anyway I can. Plus, FWIW my scores at trap have gone up since I started using Promo in 1 1/8oz 12ga loads. Coincidence of course, practice is the real reason for the higher scores, but trap is a mental game.

Promo is turning out to serve my needs well in handguns too, so I can minimize my powder inventory and stock up on a multi use powder. I'm also wanting to try it in milsurp rifles, substituting it for Red Dot in "the load" with cast boolits.

SSB