PDA

View Full Version : Bubba does a Sav. 99

blixen
05-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Stumbled over this .308 Sav. 99. The photos don't do it justice--the forearm seems to be from another rifle or shot gun and painted brown and held on with common Phillips head screws.

the PO didn't even attempt to shape the recoil pad and WTHeck is up with the compensator?!

sooo tactical. I'm checking on parts prices to see its worth rehabbing.

salpal48
05-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes, Another Custom By " Bubba Custom Rifles and Basement Gun shop. There is no end . To The word " BUBBASIZED"
We should Have a Form Topic On them. as a show & tell

victorfox
05-27-2016, 08:23 PM
whoa.. not that bad. sometime ago I saw a bolt shotgun .410 (imbel brand built in a 98 original action -- yes the boneheads at the factory drilled those nice carbines and made ugly unbalanced shotguns though very functional) that had the barrel "reblued" that is bubba took a can of ocean blue paint and brushed it all over the gun. I made an offer to save it but he didn't accept...

TXGunNut
05-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Must admit it has a certain rustic charm. From the pics it seems that comp is pretty good work.

bikerbeans
05-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Without duct tape or bailing wire I don't think it is from Bubba's custom shop.

BB

pietro
05-27-2016, 10:45 PM

Words fail me................................

RogerDat
05-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Umm what I want to know is how does it shoot?

Just like with a woman, kissing and a pretty face don't last, good cooking does. So how does she cook?

Artful
05-27-2016, 11:06 PM
simple you don't want the comp - unthread it and put on a thread protector.
Refinish the existing forearm wood - finish fitting the recoil pad and done.

richhodg66
05-27-2016, 11:07 PM
How much do they want for it? I'd look at making a project out of that one, I bet it could be made into a great hunting rifle.

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Umm what I want to know is how does it shoot?

Just like with a woman, kissing and a pretty face don't last, good cooking does. So how does she cook?

Yeah, just gotta know.

nagantguy
05-27-2016, 11:25 PM
I've think I've seen that work before, noticed it's flow and quality but sir please don't take this wrong, I'm not calling you out or any thing of the sort, but I do believe you are mistaken as to the artist, I am fairly certain that work belongs to bubbas cousin, twice removed on his mothers side, his name is Cletus, his favorite tool for smithin' was always a 9 pound hammer, old English brown paint and a very small flat head screw driver cause it fit all size o them pesky screws.

OS OK
05-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Without duct tape or bailing wire I don't think it is from Bubba's custom shop.

BB

Think you are right…Looks like it came from Bubbas cousin BillyBobs Gun Werks.

blixen
05-28-2016, 01:12 AM
$300.

Artful
05-28-2016, 02:09 AM
I'd snap that up for 3 bills.

missionary5155
05-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Good morning
I would buy it. A Savage 99 in 308 would ride real nice in the trunk of a car or "behind the seat" and be ready to tackle any condition. As it is it looks odd... But there may have been good reasons some one decided to do all that. The brake ???? But the forearm may have been done up in the "way back somewhere" when a busted forearm was a situation.
Mike in Peru

richhodg66
05-28-2016, 07:03 AM
After market wood for 99s is available and not too unreasonable. If the muzzle break can decently be removed, you'd have a good shooter. Much better lever gun than any Winchester or Marlin would be on it's best day. I think $300 would be about as high as I would consider, though.

salpal48
05-28-2016, 07:17 AM
The BUBBA Shops in Our area. use a wide variety of material. to give them there trademark. This varies from shop to shop. most popular small finish nail to repair stocks,. ( after gluing Remove them). Flat head or Philip sheet metal screws. The true trademark of a Bubba. is the un-sanded rubber recoil Pad

stubbicatt
05-28-2016, 07:51 AM
I hesitated to open the thread out of fear of what would meet my eye. Actually, that isn't as bad as it could be.

WRideout
05-28-2016, 08:18 AM
I once visited an old bear hunter who used hounds. His "custom" gun was a chopped single shot 12 ga with a bolt hose-clamped to the end of the barrel for a front sight.
Wayne

Mica_Hiebert
05-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Get a new used for end. Masking tape the stock and take the recoil pad to a belt sander and send it off the jes for a 358 win rebore.

dragon813gt
05-28-2016, 10:12 AM
And I was getting ready to post up one I have in 300 Savage w/ an asking price of $400. It's freckled and has been ridden hard. But at least it's all original. I think I will raise the asking price ;)

I don't get the comp at all. The rest can easily be fixed. You can get NOS wood for around $300. It has a high comb for scope use. Turnbull can bring the lever back. Send if off to JES for a rebore. And then reblue it. No saying this will be cheap but 99s deserve to look their best :)

richhodg66
05-28-2016, 10:25 AM
That's a 99E (post 1 million ser #, no counter hole on the receiver and trigger safety) so not much collector value as 99s go. I bought one in .308 that while a bit rough, was way better than that for $350 four or five years ago and have seen others in that range. Mine required me refinishing the stock and giving everything a good scrubbing, but was and is a good shooter. I killed a decent eight pointer with it using the Ranchdog .30-30 bullet.

I wouldn't pay anymore than $300 for it, and would try for less, but with a little work, there isn't a better deer rifle available. They truly are great guns.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-28-2016, 10:53 AM
He looks to have been the better sort of bubba, who finds metalwork beyond him. Except the muzzle brake which might have some point if the barrel had been much shortened... if he was the sort that believes in finding point in things. Otherwise if the bore is good, it looks no worse than any other Savage 99 you would buy to restock and refinish, and cheape than most.

blixen
05-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Believe me, I was tempted to buy it and rehab it on the cheap--strip the wood and refinish, replace the plated phillips-head screws, put a thread protector on it and finish the recoil pad. But I've already got too many projects and i'm painfully saving pennies for a rifle in .22 hornet.

BTW, I think there's a difference in Bubbaed rifles and, for lack of a better word, "Cowboy expediency". I've got a 1903 win. Mod. 94 that has had the wood replaced, the tang brazed back on, the barrel shortened and rechambered and an old Lyman peep attached with brass screws and a hand-crafted front blade. I'd love to know what that rifle has seen. Shots like a dream, btw.

Artful
05-29-2016, 01:10 AM
So if your going to pass on it are you going to share where it's hiding?

44man
05-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Needs a new pad long enough to form the toe. Can't fix that one. All else can be fixed.
Why a pad and comp on a .308 anyway? Bubba must have pain with a .22! :violin:

blixen
05-29-2016, 04:25 PM
i passed a heads up along to some friends and family. I shot my .300 Sav. 99 today and it was such a pleasure, i just might 180 and buy this one.

376Steyr
05-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Ha. A while back I saw a 99 that supposedly had come from "the Rez." It had zero finish on metal or wood, and the lever hinge screw had been replaced with an appropriately sized hex-head bolt and nut.

Artful
05-30-2016, 02:58 AM
i passed a heads up along to some friends and family. I shot my .300 Sav. 99 today and it was such a pleasure, i just might 180 and buy this one.

If they pass on it and you don't snap it up keep us posted.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-30-2016, 07:08 AM
...the lever hinge screw had been replaced with an appropriately sized hex-head bolt and nut.

Appropriate sized would put him on a higher level than some of them. I don't think the toe of the stock is a big issue, as long as there are no cracks from the blow that probably made someone smooth it off. It is slight enough to reduce the bottom of the butt to a straight line.

nekshot
05-30-2016, 08:00 AM
if you don't buy it (assuming the funds are available) you will kick your self in a couple years!

Geezer in NH
05-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Silencer ready dude!!!! The muzzle brake was to cover the threads,