PDA

View Full Version : Needing Help With Reloading

Tamitch
05-27-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry to have to repost this in order to get my thoughts known.

I am reloading: 44 mag, 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim.

Looking for a load or loads that would be just for plinking.

And a load or loads for home defense.

I have the following powers on hand:
Alliant Unique, Hodgdon Tightgroup, Winchester AutoComp and Winchester 296.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

dudel
05-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Of the powders listed, Unique would be my choice for those three calibers.

mdi
05-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. Not being a jerk, but to any new reloader I recommend reloading manuals as a first source of load data. Get some. In 30 years of reloading I have used manuals 99% of the time and also a little from powder manufacturer's websites.

FWIW; I pay very little (no) attention to any forum expert, range rat, pet loads web site, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru as far as load data is concerned. Not being mean, but published manuals from "real experts" is plenty good and has supplied hundreds of loads for the 13 firearms it reload for...

Shawlerbrook
05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Agree 100% with^^^^^****

bangerjim
05-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Do not EVER rely on any load data from forums unless you can verify them in the published loading manuals you OWN. All the load data you are looking for above is printed in great detail in the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook Manual. I know a lot of people on here really try to avoid spending any $$ at all, but that is a book you will use over and over.......it is the bible for casters.

Buy one! It is not that expensive. You will use it a lot! All your questions will be ansered and verified.

banger

triggerhappy243
05-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Bangerjim nailed it. no punn intended. mdi did too. Now someone will comment on what I call task specific loads. all my guns I reload for... have a task specific load. So you ask yourself what is the MAIN task this firearm has? Well to be blunt, each gun has a load I use to turn some critters head into a canoe. My 45 has one load. It is the one that best functions.... period. Same way with the 44 mag, same way with my prairie dog rifles. If you start having 2-3-4 different loads for each gun you have to remember what each of those 2-3-4 loads do in each of those guns. Me? I want to pick up whatever firearm it is, aim, fire and hit what I aim at without second guessing.

OptimusPanda
05-27-2016, 06:02 PM
As far as manuals are concerned the ones I use most frequently are the Lyman 49th edition, and the lyman cast bullet handbook. If I'm loading jacketed rifle rounds I'll also see what the Hornady, Lee, or Sierra books have to say but frankly, I seldom need to go that far.

.455 Webley
05-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Panda is right. If i had to only have one manual it would be the Lyman. Since they don't make Jacketed Bullets they test a few different brands offerings and it gives you a nice cross section of whats on the market. Look for used manuals one or two editions off of current publication. They can be had for a fraction of the price and the data is still good.

bangerjim
05-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Both Lyman's are good, but I do not load FMJ's so the #49 is pretty worthless to a 100% cast boolit shooter like me. It just sits on the shelf.

The 4th is the bible for all things cast.......only. I also have the Lee hardbound book which has some data in it the Lyman #4 does not. You can always get load data from FMJ makers on thier websites and the powder maker's also.

But EVERYBODY on this forum should own a #4 if you cast anything! Buy a new one - - they are not THAT expensive! Any LGS worth their powder will have them on the shelf. That's where I get all my books. And used ones are usually all dirty, rat-eared and most times hard to find. You can buy a reprint of #3 from Cornell's on-line. Good people.

Spend a little $$......be a safe and happy re-loader!

banger

Paper Puncher
05-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Tamitch

The information the guys are giving you is really good advice. I assume you are new to reloading based on your question. The caliber or cartridge, the particular bullet, the gun they are being used in, and even loading technique all interact to determine what is a proper charge weight and best propellant for you to use.

Get a loading manual and use that to get started.

For home defense I would use store bought ammo. Especially being new to reloading.

country gent
05-27-2016, 11:15 PM
I fully agree with those who said get a loading manual and or even a couple . The one calibers are nice as they have data from manufacturers all in one book. Also given "data" from another loader shooter needs to be verified from the books or other sources. Another recomendatioon is a note book to store record your data and results in. so in the future a load can be duplicated even after several years of not loading it. My notebooks are as if not more important now after many years of loading and shooting as the manuals are. Having the complete data wrote down and test results with it can be a big plus in the future.

JSnover
05-27-2016, 11:32 PM
It's pretty easy to duplicate factory loads if you have a favorite for defense. From there you tuned them to your gun / your preference. Factory ballistics are available, all you have to do is get a manual and find the bullet/powder combination that matches the load you like for defense, then get to the range and see if it shoots and functions the way you need it to. That'll get you started. For plinking, use cheaper bullets and lighter charges.

EDG
05-27-2016, 11:44 PM
If you ask for help on the internet there is no way to know that the guy might only have 15 minutes more experience than you.
Some people think they can load for a month or two and know it all. Some can load the same old thing for 40 years and not know much either.
You need all of the relevant manuals you can find.

SUPERKNUCK
05-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Like Ol' Reagan said "trust but verify". Read every thing you can and pay close attention.

OS OK
05-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Here's a clue…
Use the W 296 in the .44 Mag.
The other three powders are interchangeable in the other two pistols.

Now go buy a load manual or two and find out what the starting loads are.

str8wal
05-28-2016, 11:23 AM
I'd also go with 296 in the 44 for mangum loads. I like Titegroup in the 45 ACP, and the auto-rim would work with it as well. Hodgdon's has free data on their website so you might want to give it a look.

1_Ogre
05-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Best bet would get the Lyman manual. They may be conservative, but you won't be abusing your firearm and the loads are all SAFE. I've been loading a day or two, and when I'm working up a new load I've never been shy by going to the Lyman References, they WORK.
Loads from ANY forum, post, "I like this load" should all be approached with dire caution. Knew a guy that had an OLD Colt, and a "FRIEND" told him what to load for his 38 Special. Well, it was an OLD COLT and 38S&W not 38Special, and now the gun is in the junkyard, old steel/new steel don't use the same loads.
Get the Lyman manual and you'll never be disapointed.

mdi
05-28-2016, 11:41 AM
You've seen what most reloaders think, but I'll give you one hint http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

bangerjim
05-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Guess all this honest advise scared him off! Or he at his LGS buying a #4!

OS OK
05-28-2016, 05:32 PM
You know that's one of the things that 'irk' me a bit about some posters, new and old alike…sometimes you might go out of your way to look up something or run downstairs to the shop to find literature or take a picture and they don't bother to respond to your efforts, one way or another.
After a couple incidents I don't bother anymore.

OS OK

Kevin Rohrer
05-28-2016, 09:38 PM
It always amazes me how people refuse to trust-in or buy reloading manuals. There are no secret recipes to reloading pistols calibers.

mdi
05-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Yep, that's the anonymous world of the internet...

runfiverun
05-28-2016, 11:25 PM
I think I went overboard with manuals and stuff for a while there.
I have duplicates of just about everything I own.
one set in the reloading room and another set here on a shelf under the computer monitor.

quite often I just go through and re-read some of the stuff I didn't understand when I read it the first time 35-40 years ago.
now I understand what it is saying, and some of it I disagree with. [slightly]
I also just peruse through some of the older manuals looking for data for some of the older powders I have, it might prove out to be pretty useful at some point.

anyway all of the powders the OP posted having will work in all of the calibers listed.
they will give different results in all of the calibers.
some will be full speed loads, some will be soft shooting slower loads with the same powder.
so a change will be needed to get into the middle range of the round.

I can give loads for all of the powders in all of the cases from memory, but I don't remember what I had for lunch today and I load for about 75 different calibers [shrug] so I might be off a little.

wrench man
05-29-2016, 12:07 AM
I agree that one can not have to much info on hand!, just last Saturday I picked up Lyman #45 and #49 to supplement #'s 46, 47, and 48, have cast bullet #'s 3 & 4, three Speer manuals an OLD Hornady manual and others I reference, I make sure they agree, typo's can and do occur.

L Erie Caster
05-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Midway USA is selling Lyman’s 49th soft cover for $13. Likely clearing shelf space for the 50th edition.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064217655/lyman-reloading-handbook-49th-edition-reloading-manual

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-31-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry to have to repost this in order to get my thoughts known.

I am reloading: 44 mag, 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim.

Looking for a load or loads that would be just for plinking.

And a load or loads for home defense.

I have the following powers on hand:
Alliant Unique, Hodgdon Tightgroup, Winchester AutoComp and Winchester 296.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.
Can I assume you've been mentored or read some instructions on how to reload ammo? If not, and you prefer your reading on a screen, instead of a paper manual as others have suggested. There will be some loads listed here as well, if you have some specific projectiles in mind?
http://www.j-how.net/test/Lyman%2048th%20Reloading%20Handbook%20%5Bblackatk% 5D.pdf

Also, Hodgdon's website is a great source for loads for 3 of your 4 powders.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/