PDA

View Full Version : not cast bullets per say but

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2016, 12:38 PM
don't know if this qualifies or not http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/Smileys/default/shocked.gif I have a chipmunk infestation in the pole barn. Shot two this morning with the model 15 smith with some 9 shot loaded. 50 more and I an have back straps for breakfast!!!

thegatman
05-27-2016, 12:41 PM
YUMMMM YUMMMMM. Sounds like a new stew meat I need to try.

Hardcast416taylor
05-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Skin `em and tan their hides, only will take about 75 per foot for house slippers! Save the tails for toothpics.Robert

tdoyka
05-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Skin `em and tan their hides, only will take about 75 per foot for house slippers! Save the tails for toothpics.Robert

thats a good idea!!! i don't get much meat off of them, i think cuz i use a 444, the skinnin part is already done.;-)

blikseme300
05-27-2016, 05:32 PM
thats a good idea!!! i don't get much meat off of them, i think cuz i use a 444, the skinnin part is already done.;-)

Are you using enough gun? I quit using the 444 on jackrabbits and upgraded to a 458WM as the stopping power was marginal at best. :kidding:

runfiverun
05-27-2016, 06:54 PM
infestation?
I'm on my way.

joatmon
05-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Sounds like we all need to unite to help a brother caster, I've got some #12 shot for the reloads and if Lloyd's got a little room for the tents and RV's we could swarm in and take care of this infestation
real quick like! Who's in?
Aaron

Lloyd Smale
05-27-2016, 08:23 PM
never was into trapping but I figured id branch out. So I set a rat trap with some peanut butter to see if I could get some pelts that way too.

tdoyka
05-27-2016, 08:32 PM
Are you using enough gun? I quit using the 444 on jackrabbits and upgraded to a 458WM as the stopping power was marginal at best. :kidding:

i don't know if the 458wm is good enuff. i'm barely putting them down with a 444. i'm thinking of using a 700 nitro express, but if that has a problem i will go with the 950 jdj!!!!:kidding::lol::lol:

JWT
05-27-2016, 08:52 PM
I've got a "chipmunk infestation" here as well. I can't seem to trap them fast enough to make a dent in the population.

runfiverun
05-27-2016, 10:49 PM
well Detroit is on the way, i'll need back-up in case I make a wrong turn around there though.

richhodg66
05-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun could be had with an air rifle.

RP
05-27-2016, 11:32 PM
Seems like all we have are fireants and skeeters both kind of hard to shoot well sure are not going to skin them

OS OK
05-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Chipmunk Dumplings…ummm…what time is dinner?

NavyVet1959
05-28-2016, 01:20 AM
Seems like all we have are fireants and skeeters both kind of hard to shoot well sure are not going to skin them

Not sure how well shooting a fire ant bed at close range with a high power firearm would turn out. If anything like hitting one with a power washer at close range .... well .... I wouldn't recommend it... :(

Jeffrey
05-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Track down a cat that is a proven "mouser". Mine put a serious dent in my MIL's chipmunk population. The story about how he brought one alive but missing its tail (bleeding) into the house still puts a smile on my face (terrified my mom and sister in law). Their screams scared the cat that then took refuge under the couch, leaving the panicked, bleeding chipmunk dashing round the carpeted living room. Finally a well aimed broom stroke got it out the door.

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2016, 11:29 AM
problem is I detest cats more then chipmunks!

NavyVet1959
05-28-2016, 12:13 PM

All chipmunks, or just Alvin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBAshnF0HwY

:)

leeggen
05-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Hey can you cook them so the bones do like fish and turn to mush so they are eatable also???? Dang one would have to get a couple hundred to feed just a couple people. Dang I'll shoot but let the ants have the left overs. Chipmunks and ants, 2 of the most useless things I know.
CD

Lonegun1894
05-29-2016, 05:21 AM

You must not be using enough garlic and BBQ sauce on the cats, and a couple fresh jalapenos in the crockpot with the cat and sauce don't hurt it any either. Can't help with the chipmunks, or at least not with the recipes, but would love to help shoot them.

Ural Driver
05-29-2016, 06:17 AM
I love cats...........I just can't eat a whole one by myself............:mrgreen:

6bg6ga
05-29-2016, 06:54 AM
I suggest German Shepherds to the rescue. I had a shepherd a while back that was hell on anything that moved. No more mice, squirrels, rabbits, ground squirrels, or possums in my yard anymore. She didn't eat them but rather unleashed the jaws of death with one little crushing blow and then left them where she found them.

44man
05-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Neighbor had 2 dogs, weimariners or some spelling??? Killed any chuck or deer that got past the fence. His carpeted computer room is above the garage so they took the animals up and ripped them to pieces in there. Mice and Alvin were just swallowed whole.
They were death on crickets and for the little critters they tore apart stuff in the garage to get at them. Neighbors lost a lot of cats too.
With a half mill house, dog would be on the menu!

richhodg66
05-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Find yourself a big king snake or two and put them in there if you don't like cats.

We have a big outside tom cat now, but he's so friendly and nice, I have a hard time believing he could be a killer of much of anything.

oldcanadice
05-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey richhodg: I'v had lots of very friendly tom cat buddies. Even a few females. We'd walk down our back-woods road and they'd come along just for the company. If we went too far, they'd lay down in the bushes and wait there for us to come back and walk with us back home.

One thing. They all liked to hunt as much as the guys that frequent this board.

Tom W.
05-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Cats are good, just a bit stringy.

I still like to put a bottle rocket or three into a fire ant bed, wait for the residents to board, and send them to the clouds.;-)

Lloyd Smale
05-29-2016, 01:19 PM
My old pouch is out of breath just going out to pee. I doubt he could catch a fast turtle anymore.
Neighbor had 2 dogs, weimariners or some spelling??? Killed any chuck or deer that got past the fence. His carpeted computer room is above the garage so they took the animals up and ripped them to pieces in there. Mice and Alvin were just swallowed whole.
They were death on crickets and for the little critters they tore apart stuff in the garage to get at them. Neighbors lost a lot of cats too.
With a half mill house, dog would be on the menu!

44man
05-30-2016, 10:03 AM
My old pouch is out of breath just going out to pee. I doubt he could catch a fast turtle anymore.
My little girl is under my seat after a bunch of treats. Spoiled rotten and when I have coffee she gets some chicken jerky and a milky bone or some snaps.
She is funny, walk an hour and she will poop but go down and pee too. Never seen a dog do both at the same time.
Life without a dog is a huge loss. I ask her if she wants to go for a ride, looks me in the eye and runs to the truck or Polaris. Ask a cat once. I say go to our favorite store, Yeah booze store where they give her a treat. She goes nuts. I break the law because she sits on my lap so I drive real careful. She knows when going to the vet too, cries when close.
She thinks she is a people but I call her a poople. The worst ever is a dog's shorter life and the pain.
Anyone without a dog is kind of sad.

Hardcast416taylor
05-30-2016, 12:10 PM
People often asked me what I needed a .416 Taylor for? I usually answer that there are 2 reasons for having it. The first is field mouse control out in my pole barn, the other reason is to keep the feral elephants in check!Robert

blikseme300
05-30-2016, 02:32 PM
People often asked me what I needed a .416 Taylor for? I usually answer that there are 2 reasons for having it. The first is field mouse control out in my pole barn, the other reason is to keep the feral elephants in check!Robert

I have had people ask me the same thing and I tell them that the Jackalope might be small but vicious and hard to kill. Also, the crazy scientists are fiddling with DNA and will probably unleash T-Rex and friends some day. Can't wait! :bigsmyl2:

Bloodman14
06-25-2016, 12:49 AM
Not sure how well shooting a fire ant bed at close range with a high power firearm would turn out. If anything like hitting one with a power washer at close range .... well .... I wouldn't recommend it... :(
Try molten aluminum. Check youtube for videos.

Goatwhiskers
06-25-2016, 08:43 AM
What's the backup plan for when you only wound one? Worse than a cape buffalo with those fangs!! GW

Smoke4320
06-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Build a chipmunk launcher (you can decide the landing area/trap/punji sticks/ kiddie pool, ect)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chipmuck+launcher&view=detail&mid=096D044A1A5D42883E75096D044A1A5D42883E75&FORM=VIRE

Smoke4320
06-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Cats are good, just a bit stringy.

I still like to put a bottle rocket or three into a fire ant bed, wait for the residents to board, and send them to the clouds.;-)

cats are good .. taste just like Spotted OWL :) :)

Ole Joe Clarke
06-25-2016, 09:21 PM
I thinned them out with a tiny little BB rifle. Took about 15 shots before I figured out how low to hold. Shot 5, the rest packed their bags and left. I'm keeping an eye out for them though.

popper
06-27-2016, 01:10 PM
I have a ****zu that got a rabbit, then the other day a field mouse. Didn't eat it, just played with the carcass. She upchucked last nite and the runs this morning about 5AM. I got to clean up the mess & toss her outside, then back to bed.

lostsixgunner
06-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Not nearly as much fun, but effective. Fill a plastic bucket half full of water, cover with a coating of sunflower seeds, then place a board for a ramp to the top. Start sharpening your skinning knife...

fastdadio
06-29-2016, 10:24 PM
Got kids? I was over run with those striped rats one time. It was just about the time my son was ready to move up from his red ryder BB gun. School had just let out for summer vacation so i went and bought a new Sheridan .22 pumper. I gave him a good block of instruction on the proper use and precautions of such a powerful rifle and then told him there was a dollar bounty on them pesky critters. They're wary little buggers but he quickly learned the lessons of patience, concealment and stillness. He had 5 on the garage floor the next day when I got home from work and several more every day there after. This went on for a couple weeks but he got them all. Good times and good training.