PDA

View Full Version : Wont Fire Rifle Primers

smokemjoe
05-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I have a Rem. 40 X- 700 action that I was on a custom 22 PPC, I open the bolt up to 35 Rem. It wouldnt set off large rifle primers, I put in a new firing pin spring, It will set maybe 4 out of 10 ten now, But for the last 7 years I have used large pistol primers. Whats is going on, Thanks- Joe

Ricochet
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Got adequate firing pin protrusion?

Headspace within tolerance?

danski26
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Firts thing I would look at Joe is firing pin protrusion. Make sure the pin is able to come out far enough or if there is something stopping it. Or even if the tip of the pin is worn or broken. I had a model 70 that developed a burr near the safety that had to touched up and that fixed it right up.

smokemjoe
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Headspacing is .002 to .003, Puts a deep dent in Large Pistol primers and rifle primes no to just a little and then just enought to set off, Where do you get a longer firing pin. This rifle may of been a 222 at one time, Joe

danski26
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Well replacement pins you can get from brownells, midway or anyplace like that. I don't think anyone make a pin longer than "factory spec" for the 700.

danski26
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Any burrs on the firing pin hole in the bolt face?

fishhawk
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
had a problem like that once and it was the shape of the nose on the fireing pin, would not set off LR primers reshaped the nose and no troble since

felix
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM
The 35 remmie case design is critical in the headspace requirement arena, more so than any other in my arsenal. It very well could be that 003 slop is just too much for your gun-die combo. Make sure your dies do not alter any dimensions around that shoulder area. Fire form your cases quite hard, like with a 50K load using the primers that work well. Remington cases are very tough in this caliber. ... felix

Larry Gibson
05-15-2008, 01:41 PM
smokemjoe

"It wouldnt set off large rifle primers, I put in a new firing pin spring, It will set maybe 4 out of 10 ten now"

That tells us what the problem is. Worked fine...replaced spring....doesn't work fine. When the spring was changed something was done incorrectly, something is blocking the firing pin travel or the spring is too weak.

Either you didn't get it reassembled correctly and there isn't enough firing pin protrusion or the new spring is too weak. If you have the old one put it back in. Make sure there is no debri inside the bolt body to partially block the firing pin or soften its blow. Since it worked before you changed the spring there is nothing wron with the length of the firing pin and a new one is not necessary.

I'd go back to the beginning and find out what is wrong. If it weren't broke why the new spring?

Larry Gibson

danski26
05-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I think you miss read Larry.....Joe said it WOULD NOT set off large rifle primers then he tried a new spring and it would set off 4 out of 10 now.

smokemjoe
05-15-2008, 06:25 PM
It worked fine in the 22PPC, When I put the 35 Rem. on it, then it wouldnt set off any rifle primers at all, Thats when I got a new spring and help a little, I also put on 4 custom barrels all headspaced tight and still wouldnt set off rifle primers. If it dose it a hit and many misses. I got other 700s in 30 brs and maybe trade a pin or spring around also, Any more ideas will help, Been using pistol primers for 7-8 years now, But with 33 grs. V133 and LBTs 325 gr. bullets the primers are showing pressure. Thanks for the help. Joe

oneokie
05-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Have you used LP primers with the 35 Rem loads? What brand of LR primers are you using? Have you tried other brands of LR primers?

Everything that you have posted points toward slow lock time or insufficient firing pin protrusion. When you changed springs, did you check to see if the firing pin was free to move in the bolt with sufficient protrusion? Did you clean the bolt body?

fishhawk
05-15-2008, 07:45 PM
also went from small rifle primers to large rifle primers. starting to sound more and more like a spring problem

jfl1950
04-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I was looking on the web for what primers to purchase as I have a 35 Rem and 4 primers I used didn't work out of 20. I found out that there are different brands that have different pressures like the winchester brand in in the middle and the federal brand is on the low side where the CCI is highest. What brand did you purchase?

John Taylor
04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Take the spring out and make sure the pin moves freely in the bolt with the shroud in place. There could be some binding that is making the pin drag which will slow it down. Firing pin protrusion should be .060". Make sure the spring is not dragging in the bolt body. A bent spring can have enough drag to cause a problem. Firing pin tip should be rounded, if it loos flat on the end it will cause a problem. You can get heavier springs here http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/REMINGTON/700,%20721,%20725%20-%20Long%20Actions/cID2/mID108/dID212