PDA

View Full Version : 5 grains Unique -- Sticking Cases in .38 Special

Thomas Traddles
05-26-2016, 12:49 PM
I have been loading 5 grains of Unique under a 158 grain RNFP and shooting them out of my LCR .38+P. This is a near max standard pressure load, but I am having to push the cases out of the cylinder with a small screw driver. It takes a goodly amount of pressure to push them out. The cases do not stick in all the cylinders all of the time, but there are at least 3 cylinders that stick all of the time. I've been using Federal Brass that has been reloaded more times than I care to count. Other than an over charge, which doesn't seem likely given that I weigh the charges frequently while loading a batch and the meter throws uniform charges, I'd be interested in hearing what else might be causing this.

Thanks.

thegatman
05-26-2016, 01:21 PM
When I had that problem I wrapped some 800 grit sandpaper around a dowel and honed out the sticky cylinders just a little. It worked for me.

Char-Gar
05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
You don't have a cartridge problem, you have a revolver problem. Clean each of the chambers thoroughly down to the metal. If that doesn't do it, you have some rough metal in those chambers. Polishing the chambers will cure that.

Outpost75
05-26-2016, 01:34 PM
If you are loading 158-grain RNFP bullets in .38 Special brass at an overall cartridge length of less than 1.50" you are running the pressure up. Most of the Cowboy type bullets have short noses so as not to exceed the SAAMI overall cartridge length of 1.59" when loaded into .357 cases. If you crimp them into .38 Special brass your Ctg. OAL is likely to be around 1.40" or less, which is running your pressures up above +P. Measure the OAL of your rounds. If less than 1.50" REDUCE the charge 10% to 4.5 grains and you will be fine.

Char-Gar is also correct that you may have rough chambers. Ruger DA revolver cylinders are ordinarily roller-burned to ease simultaneous extraction, and the chamber walls should have a near-mirror surface finish with NO circumferential tool marks being visible in the chamber body area. If you can see tool marks in the cylindrical chamber area well behind the ball seat, it is possible you may have gotten a cylinder which missed the roller-burnish operation. If this is the case, you should return your revolver to Ruger customer service for repair. Before doing so, CLEAN the chambers well, and try some factory-loaded +P ammunition and see if they extract OK. If they don't, send THOSE extracted cases and the box flap with the manufacturer's lot number with the gun to Ruger.

bangerjim
05-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Clean your gun. You have "stuff" in your cyl chambers. Try the above suggestions.

Works for me every time.

banger

LAKEMASTER
05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Just went through this with my 3006 pump.
Confused the hell out of me. Then, I cleaned the gun and it didn't happen anymore. This is embarrassing to mention cause I'm usually over kill with maintenance....

dverna
05-26-2016, 02:29 PM
If cleaning and polishing do not help, check your powder. I nearly dumped powder in the wrong canister once. This would only cause sticking if your are overpressure - say if you dumped some Bullseye in with the Unique.

Thomas Traddles
05-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I clean my guns after each range session with an oversized bore brush, using Ed's Red on patches until they come out clean, so I can't imagine that being the problem, but I will be sure to give them an extra scrubbing. I will also check the cartridge length. I've not noted any machining imperfections in the chambers. I'll also run some manufactured +P ammo through the gun and see how that works as well.

I appreciate the help.

rototerrier
05-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Just ran some 165gr Miha over the top of 6gr unique for a +P and didn't have any sticking cases. It was a very crisp load, but everything functioned and looked normal afterwards. Cases dropped right out. I echo the cylinder cleaning advice. Don't think it's load related.

243winxb
05-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Well used Nickel brass may not spring back after firing. Took me a while to figure it out, using my standard load in 357 mag. Compared brass vs nickel. The micrometer showed little to no spring back with the nickel. I load 5.3 gr Unique in 38 specials with 163 gr home cast lswc.

smkummer
05-27-2016, 07:41 PM
5.1 grains unique and a Lee 158 SWC cast is what I am shooting for a plus P load and the cases all drop from all of my Colts. And those are nickel federal cases.

runfiverun
05-27-2016, 07:51 PM
double check those brand new cases.
you might be seeing the scratches causing you the problem.
also marking the cylinders giving you the grief and noting a pattern of trouble would indicate the rough cylinders.
if it's not the same 3 all the time then you need to look at something else.

35remington
05-30-2016, 04:08 PM
FWIW, 4.7 Unique is the top end of the standard pressure range. 5.0 would be Plus P.

6 grains Unique with a 158 or 165 would be very generously past Plus P and less "crisp" (potato chips anyone) than inadvisable for usage in a 38 revolver.

Geezer in NH
05-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Use a chamber brush as the chamber is bigger? :popcorn: