PDA

View Full Version : 1895 Marlin: What to do with it?

DanWalker
05-15-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi guys. I bought an 1895 marlin a while back from my buddy and have been meaning to do "something" with it for over a year now.
The gun is in fine shape mechanically and shoots well, but it's ugly as a mud fence.
The blueing is worn off in several spots, the stock is all beat up. There's an ill fitting Limbsaver recoil pad installed, and at one time or other he took a file to the front sight to slim it down.
So, if it was yours, what "something" would you do with it?

StrawHat
05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Post a photo and let's see it.

Option 1

Sight unseen, if mine, I would start with new wood with a slimmer profile than what Marlin supplies.

After the wood is too my liking, I would go with a decent set of sights, Sourdough front and some sort of aperture rear.

Than I would shoot it, a lot.

If it was a good shooter I would work on the finishing touches, stock finish and bluing.

Or, if the stock now matched the bluing, I might just leave it alone.

Option 2

Rework the wood that is on the rifle.

Resight as above.

Start shooting.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

MT Gianni
05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
If I have a couple of guns that look good I can live with a couple that are ugly if they shoot. You may consider replacing the front sight and fiddleing with the pad. Gianni

Irascible
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Treebone carving has some nice old style, semi-finished stocks for these guns. www.treebonecarving.com What model? What caliber?

hyoder
05-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Sounds like it has personality. Take it out and shoot it - can't hurt it.

Ranch Dog
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Shoot and hunt with it!

Jack Stanley
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Shoot it and see how ya like it . If it comes to replacing the wood , look into the curved buttplate type like some of the early ones had . Mine I think was made in the seventies , has the curved plate and it fits really well on me . It seems as comfortable as any other up to about four hundred thirty grain bullets and seventeen hundred feet per second .

Jack