PDA

View Full Version : lee C press compared to Spartan single stage

CITYREPO61
05-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Any thoughts on which would be stronger
I would like to set one up for 300 BO forming.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Steve

aspangler
05-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Go with the Spartan. Much stronger press.

CITYREPO61
05-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Thanks

LUBEDUDE
05-26-2016, 12:52 AM
Spartan!

At some point that little C Lee press WILL fail/break. Maybe at case number 60, or 10,000.

The Spartan will not break or fail unless you let it rust up.

flyingmonkey35
05-26-2016, 01:54 AM
Spartan but lee for Cost.

But I found a used rock chucker for 75 bucks so that be better if you want a solid press to last a life time.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

380AUTO
05-26-2016, 05:06 AM
My only press is a Lyman Spartan. For what it is It fits me fine I won't be letting go of it anytime soon

dudel
05-26-2016, 07:19 AM
I have a Lee C press dedicated to depriming tasks. The way it flexes on a military crimped primer, I would not use it to form 300 BO.

It's an adequate press for depriming; and push through boolit sizing. The arm is about half the length of my RockChucker. Not as much leverage. Forming 300BO on my RockChucker is a breeze.

Green Frog
05-26-2016, 08:04 AM
I generally prefer orange to red, but if I were going to be forming many cases as you propose, I wouldn't use either of those presses. Rather I would go with green (RCBS Rockchucker, etc) or brown (Herter's Super U.) This latter, which is long discontinued of course, generally doesn't bring as much on the used market as some of the others, but is virtually indestructible... just don't let it fall on your foot! ;-) JMHO, YMMV. :coffeecom

Froggie

1989toddm
05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
I have used the Lee C press to form 300 BO, and it did not make it to case #1000 before snapping in two. I welded it back together and it held for about another 600. Then I bought a cast iron C press. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith
05-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Unless someone is giving you a press haunt eBay. You can pick up a used press (they don't wear out unless abused!) for less than a Spartan new.

jmort
05-26-2016, 09:24 AM
For $30 the Lee Reloader press is now the $37 Lee Breech Lock Reloader Press. I think most every one should have one around for simple tasks. But not for case reforming. Since I already use the Breech Lock systems on some of my presses I will probably add one of the new style Breech Locks to my old style Lee Reloader. Really handy little open presses. You can get a used Spartan for the same price and it is a stronger design.

CITYREPO61
05-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all input. I have both that I've picked up from the forum. I was going to give one of the 2 to a friend that is just starting out and save the other for the case forming and when not doing that it would be my decapping station.
Looks like he is getting another lee from me.

troyboy
05-26-2016, 07:43 PM
If you are going to be case forming, an investment in a compound linkage o-frame would be prudent. The Lee reloader is adequate for what it was designed to do

salpal48
05-27-2016, 07:48 PM
I should Be a Crime against Hanloaders That Lyman and lee are used in The same Comparison. . If Lee was the last handloading equipment In the US. , I would be forced to Buy Factory,s

country gent
05-27-2016, 08:44 PM
I would really perfer a well built cast iron O frame press with compound leverage or similar, Rock chucker, Oarnge crusher, Big Boss. or other heavy models for stiffness and easy of use, the compund leverage really helps. The o frame of heavy steel has very little flex or give to it making for better consistancy in forming. Once fire formed and to size resizing takes less force usually. I have seen the little lees break off at the base junction and the flex is harder to deal with.