PDA

View Full Version : Firelapping out a barrel/frame constriction

Blackwater
05-25-2016, 01:48 PM
I have a 50th Anniv. Ruger Flat Top in .357 that I love, EXCEPT for the fact that it's got a distinct and significant constriction due to being turned in way too hard at the factory. This causes the constriction just ahead of the barrel's forcing cone. It really shoots pretty poorly by my standards, and I need to correct it. Ruger said they'd replace it, but couldn't with a 50th Anniv. marked barrel, and I just like that and want to keep it, so I declined.

Best option seems to me (unless someone has a better suggestion?) to be firelapping. I have read a good bit on it and advice varies, as does experience. I know if you have a problem in the throat, you use soft lead. If it's farther down the barrel, you use a harder alloy so the throat is not worn any more than absolutely necessary. At least this is what I've gleaned from all I've read.

Before I proceed with it, and try to "fix" this, can any of you relate advice and/or experience to help me with this specific task - removing a barrel/frame constriction? If so, I'd really appreciate it. It's really a VERY neatly sized and proportioned gun that I WANT to like very much, but if she won't shoot, she's gotta' go. Too many out there who won't be able to tell the difference to let it stay here! Thanks for any advice/experience you can relate to me.

DougGuy
05-25-2016, 02:18 PM
You might try something first.. Send it to a good smith who can unscrew the barrel and shave a couple thousandths off the barrel shoulder and screw it back in. This *may* relieve the choke entirely. If it doesn't, they could throat the barrel with a throating reamer for a 9mm auto pistol barrel, OR send the barrel here and I will gladly do it. A Taylor throated barrel is basically what you would have and they shoot great. MUCH better than firelapped even.

Firelapping a choke severe enough to stop a tightly patched cleaning jag when it gets to the frame will eventually relieve the choke but it will also smooth and round the rifling which would promote boolit skidding and once this starts, it will never seal in the bore when it gets to the good rifling. If the choke is moderate to light, firelapping may fix it good enough to cut groups significantly and cut down on any leading. It really depends on how bad the choke is, whether you could firelap it and call it good, or if it should be addressed in a more serious manner like removing the barrel and turning back the shoulder.