PDA

View Full Version : dillon 650 ?

shotman
05-15-2008, 02:09 AM
i just got a dillon 650-- a guy at the range said they were the best-- well i will wait on that but my question-- i have all or most all Lee dies the lock rings dont seem to let die go down far enough --do i need to change rings? - i like the O ring that Lee uses shotman:confused:

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Most dies wont lock down in them. you can either use dillon dies or do what i do and dont worry about it.

hotwheelz
05-15-2008, 07:31 AM
you can either turn the Lee lock nut upside down and loose the o-ring or get the locking nuts from dillon they are thinnner and you shouldnt have any issues then I have done it both ways and they both work

kodiak1
05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Loose the "O"ring and you will go to reloading with out a hitch.
Ken.

swabbie
05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm a hardcore Dillon fan..been using them since 1996.Competition pistol shooter..have approx 100 buddies with Dillons..you have a minor problem so far

when you get tired of trying to time the 650, most of the ppl I know will tell ya..step up to the 1050, or drop back to the 550B...the 650 is (IMHO) Dillon's least satisfactory product.

just complicated enuf to be unreliable for the new/partially experienced reloader.

my .02

shotman
05-16-2008, 02:33 AM
thanks for info about turning lock ring over rick

slughammer
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm a hardcore Dillon fan..been using them since 1996.Competition pistol shooter..have approx 100 buddies with Dillons..you have a minor problem so far

when you get tired of trying to time the 650, most of the ppl I know will tell ya..step up to the 1050, or drop back to the 550B...the 650 is (IMHO) Dillon's least satisfactory product.

just complicated enuf to be unreliable for the new/partially experienced reloader.

my .02

Hmm, been using my 650 since 96. Have about 5 toolheads and shellplates. Adjusted the timing once, about five years ago.

runfiverun
05-16-2008, 10:20 PM
i didnot like the primer set-up on the 650..
cannot say enough good about the 550.

hicard
05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I know it hurts for someone to say you should've gotten something else after the purchase so I will just say that I really like my 2 Dillon 550B's and let it go at that.

shotman
05-17-2008, 01:39 AM
well guys i have loaded on a Lee loadmaster since they came out ---have been on phone to Lee many times-- some of the Afro E is used on the newer Lees---they didn't do all but some things the primer feed i "worked" on ---the shell feeder is still plastic ---would be much better if it was AL---boolet feed sucks--and that i found after i bought all "new" Lee dies
the Dillon has some flaws too No 1 is the cost-- No2 is cost of cal change-- No3 is time to change things --I will Afro E to make it easier---their shell feeder is just a good example of all 3 above the one I made works better--quicker and cost 10 times less----i have some pic but how do you post here --is it the Photo bucket deal? rick/shotman

mechdriver
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Another option to locking dies in the dillon heads is to bore a hole through the side and thread it for a set screw. Read this somwhere but I'm using the lee rings upside down on several calibers for my 550.

Johnch
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I had a problem with Lee lock rings on my 550
The Lee rings were a touch to big to allow all 3 to turn on without touching

So I install the final crimp die lock ring on the UNDERSIDE of the shell plate

On the 650 it might not be a problem

John

Dale53
05-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I have two Dillon 550B's. I use their new "slim" lock rings (Dillon) - they work with ALL of my dies (Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, etc). They work really well, leaving enough space to easily adjust the dies and use the new Dillon wrench on them with ease.

Dale53

river-rider
05-18-2008, 07:48 AM
I have a Dillon 650 and I use the new slim nuts. It makes adjusting the dies a lot easier.:Fire:

Southern Son
05-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I have the 5500B and I was thinking of moving up to the 650, but when I bought the case colator for the 550B I could see no reason to. I don't need the extra die station (I have an empty one on the 550B), and the auto case indexer don't really ring my bell, I already have my hand next to the shell plate when I put a bullet into the case, so I just spin the shell plate one place and continue on.

Before the 550B I had a Lee Loadmaster (or ammomaster, can't remember and it is packed away in the closet now). It was a marvel of ingenuity, the way it worked, how one thing pushed this and another thing happened, but so much of it was made of plastic crap it drove me nuts. The advertising blurb was that in the same amount of time it took someont to load the Dillon primer tube, the Lee would have loaded the primer tray and have 50 rounds made. And it was right, until something didn't quite line up and then primer feed locked up and you had 50 rounds with powder leaking of the hole in the bottom of the case. Or the case feeder for some unknown reason started to bind and nothing moved. If Lee had have made the primer feed and the case feeder out of aluminium or steel and the bloody thing worked, I would probably still be using that Lee. I really did like the way you could set the depth of your primer and it did not matter if you got a little ham fisted, it would keep the primers all at the same depth, I find that the Dillon can put a little too much pressure on the primers if I am not careful.

Just Duke
05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
i just got a dillon 650-- a guy at the range said they were the best-- well i will wait on that shotman:confused:

Dillon 650? Is that a reloading press?

:drinks:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DILLONBENCH.jpg

All is well with mine. :)

Dale53
05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Duke Nukem;
Looking at your photo brings to mind the phrase "Dillon envy":mrgreen:.

Dale53

runfiverun
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
the dillon seaters are adjustable also.

hey duke you need the dillon auto-prime.....or two. i am gonna get another one and leave it set up for small primers.

shotman
05-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I have a couple of pics of the shell feeder will try to see if i can get them on here --- SS that is what i thought about the Lee loadmaster also --That was one of the first things i wanted Lee to change was the plastic shell feed--i tried all kinds of dry lube worked good with clean or new shells found that gun oil worked the best---primer feed is a pain but found that if i watched the slot for primer movement it works ok---my next Afro project is the primer feed on the dillon--waiting on a couple of parts -think i got that worked out--well mabey i dont have the photo thing yet shotman/rick

Southern Son
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Shotman, I tried everything for lube on that case feeder in the Lee from dry graphite through to high pressure grease. I had to get a new rod after I went away on holidays and when I got back I found that a flatmate had taken the sheet I used to cover the reloading bench. Of course dust settled on everything and that started just a fine patina of rust on the rod, and when the little box that sits on the rod moved up and down the rod, it got all bound up. Like I said, if the primer feeder and the case feeder were better made, it would have been worth the extra cost to buy, even if it was $100.00. The 550B I bough just worked when I opened the box, then it kept working, and provided I keep the grit cleaned off the primer feed area I have no doubt that it will keep working. I keep threatening to get some of the parts that gave up on the Lee and get it back into working and use it only for pistol rounds I don't shoot alot of, like 7mmTCU, but the spare parts are expensive when you consider that they don't really last (the first time it broke down after I bought it the salesman that sold me the spare parts said that the primer feeder was designed so that if something went wrong, it would just break a peice of plastic which sould be cheap and easy to replace, then the cost of the parts got more and more expensive).

cohutt
05-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Dillon 650? Is that a reloading press?

All is well with mine. :)

Duke,

those things seen any powder yet? :twisted:

Baldy
05-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I just sold my SDB Dillon and bought the XL-650. What a press. I have run about 400/.223's through it and about 2,000rds of .45 ACP's. It's one slick deal with that case feeder on it and the way it works. It's no big deal to change over. I am sold on it.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/4Baldy/08NB002.jpg

pjh421
05-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Been using a 650 since '94. If you listen to the sounds it makes as it cycles you will become accustomed to what to expect. If you don't hear that case drop into station one, get one in there. If you don't hear a spent primer drop into the bin you may be re-seating that same primer. It only takes a couple seconds to check. Keep the moving parts clean and lubricated. If the handle suddenly stops on the down stroke you are about to crush a case mouth against the resizing die in station one. Its real simple to align it with your left index finger and thumb. Move the handle smoothly and completely along its path.

This is a well designed and robust reloading press. I have never had to time one and didn't even think to wonder whether you could. It works every time. It's not designed for bullet swaging but hey if it was, it wouldn't reload ammo so quickly and effectively. WW231 in particular meters so well through the Dillon measure I have been using it in maybe 90% of my handgun loads. You can't argue with Dillon's "no b-s" guarantee either. I wish all my stuff worked as well as this press.

Paul