PDA

View Full Version : Post-64 Mod.94 value

blixen
05-25-2016, 11:11 AM
I saw a it in a pawn shop for $350. Not much wear. Good bore.
finger pin screw cover missing. Along with receiver-sight cap screws. But it functions smoothly.

What's it worth?

I'm not in the market but my son's birthday is coming up... And he loves him a lever gun.

Is there an expedient way to fill the finger screw hole until I get a replacement?

Der Gebirgsjager
05-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Last question first: Probably not. A screw is a screw. You need the right one. Unless your son's birthday is very soon you can get a replacement screw from Gun Parts Corp. But if you couldn't get a replacement screw in time, the rifle could still be used. Just operate it gently and keep an eye open for the pin working it way out of the hole. Push it back in if necessary. When you get the replacement screw, put it in with a little blue Locktite to help keep it there.

What's it worth: From your description $350 is a fair price, and is about what they go for on the internet auctions.

But--since it's missing the screws I'd offer a bit less--$325--and use the missing screws as the reason for my offer.

Hick
05-25-2016, 03:24 PM
I bought a very nice post-64 last year for $375, and the shop that had it was selling them for 300-400 depending on how good they were (they were all pretty good). Price sounds about right.

TXGunNut
05-25-2016, 09:50 PM
I'd buy it even though last thing I need is another 94, lol. Homestead firearms may also be able to help you with the screws you want. Personally I'd cover those receiver sight holes with a receiver sight but your son may not need that crutch yet, lol.

blixen
05-26-2016, 03:03 PM
I'd cover those receiver sight holes with a receiver sight but your son may not need that crutch yet, lol.
He loves my '03 M94 that has a old peep on it. But he actually prefers open sights--what does his ol' man know? I was hoping the post-64 would keep his mitts off my '03. but he wants MY M94, he likes how trashed it is. Go figure.

I told him he'll get to peel my cold, dead fingers off it someday.

TXGunNut
05-26-2016, 10:16 PM
I've been watching the post-64's climb a bit in value. The serious collectors generally won't give them a second look but I think other folks are seeing the value in the post-64's.

izzyjoe
05-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Most of the post rifles didn't get much love, and still don't to this day. $325 sounds about right, but 300 would be better!

modified5
05-27-2016, 12:04 AM
I have three post 64 m94's.
One is a 80's AE that is a great shooter with a laminate stock. Paid $200 from a friend.
One is a 80's top eject that was a pile of parts with a destroyed barrel. I rebarreled it and have $67 into it. The pile of parts was given to me from an old retired gunsmith who said it wasn't worth fixing due to the putting on the receiver and other parts. It's another great shooter.
The one I just put together is a 1966 vintage that I bought the receiver and a rusted out barrel from an antique store for $19. The tang was broken off. Bought a tang and the rest of the parts and fit it all together. Have less than $200 into that one.
I guess long story short, I would buy a post 64 for around $300-350 depending on condition without blinking an eye.
I have shot plenty of others also and never saw one that wouldn't shoot.

blixen
05-27-2016, 02:18 AM
A few months ago I saw a post 64 Sears m94 with a birch stock fly out the door for $450. Prices are all over the place. Think I'll pass on this one.

Saw two today: Post 94s in good shape $450, pre-64 in good condition $600 and a totally pitted, finish-long-gone pre 94 for $350--the bore was great and it functioned smoothly.

historicfirearms
05-28-2016, 04:21 PM
I've got a nice 94AE that I have been thinking about selling. Took it to the last gunshow and the dealers were offering me $250 to $275 for it. I passed because I wanted to sell it to someone that would use it. Most of the ones on dealer's tables were marked between $350 and $400.