PDA

View Full Version : Little Dandy Rotor Problem

alamogunr
05-25-2016, 09:34 AM
The Little Dandy powder measure has been pretty much universally praised in several threads but I don't remember seeing this particular problem brought up. I haven't been using the measure a lot, mostly because I didn't have a lot of rotors. Recently I decided to fill out my collection and started using the new ones in doing some load development for 9mm.

Immediately, a problem reared up. I was getting powder throws that didn't come near to the published charge. While I didn't expect it to be exact, I didn't expect to see such differences. In checking, I found that these new rotors apparently had oil or something in the cavities that caused the powder to adhere. Cleaned all(old & new) with brake cleaner and started over. Kind of changed the appearance of the bluing on the rotors but now they throw charges closer to the chart data.

Doc Highwall
05-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I clean all mine with break cleaner also.

Char-Gar
05-25-2016, 10:23 AM
I always clean new rotors with rubbing alcohol and sprinkle a little fine graphite powder on it for lubrication. I have never found one of these that threw the exact powder change, but they care close enough for my purposes.

I not longer use brake cleaner after one of my cats got poisoned after walking around on a table where it has been sprayed a few days before. The cat survived, but I learned my lesson about that stuff.

alamogunr
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't have a cat but you do have to be careful with all pressurized chemicals. I forgot and sprayed into the rotor cavity and almost got a face full. I thought I had learned my lesson a long time ago cleaning new molds.

toallmy
05-25-2016, 03:40 PM
I use my wife's finger nail polish remover with a Q tip , and then a Woden pencil to graphite the hole in the router .

Doc Highwall
05-25-2016, 10:07 PM
I spray the break cleaner over the opened trash bin letting it drip into the trash.

Green Frog
05-26-2016, 08:07 AM
I like Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning off the oils... it evaporates without leaving any harmful residue. Don't forget to put some sort of preservative back on when finished using the rotor though, or you will have a rusty lump when the moisture gets to it. :(

Froggie

fishingsetx
05-26-2016, 11:24 AM
I always clean new rotors with rubbing alcohol and sprinkle a little fine graphite powder on it for lubrication. I have never found one of these that threw the exact powder change, but they care close enough for my purposes.

I not longer use brake cleaner after one of my cats got poisoned after walking around on a table where it has been sprayed a few days before. The cat survived, but I learned my lesson about that stuff.

Im interested in how the cat was poisoned after a few days. that stuff evaporates so fast, I couldnt see any still being there. I have a cat and a couple dogs and just moved my reloading bench from the garage and into a spare bedroom. I dont use brake cleaner in the house, but use quite a bit in the garage (including some stuff that would make brake cleaner seem like baby oil) and want to make sure I dont kill my wife's 14 year old cat! is there something in it that leaves a residue that can be that toxic to cats that long after use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Chill Wills
05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
I like Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning off the oils... it evaporates without leaving any harmful residue. Don't forget to put some sort of preservative back on when finished using the rotor though, or you will have a rusty lump when the moisture gets to it. :(

Froggie

This is a good point. Like so many things we do, there are a lot of "right" ways to do it.

I like to use Johnson's paste wax on the rotors.
....Wax on, wax off. You have to put it on and go back later and wipe off the dry excess. Use a Q-tip to get the cavity.

The wax address both the rust issue and keeps the rotor turning free with nothing clinging to it.

kenyerian
05-26-2016, 12:15 PM
I use the Johnson Paste wax also on mine.

Sam Casey
05-26-2016, 03:34 PM
I like the LD as well and went thru same learning process about needing to clean factory preservative from new rotors. Someone suggested storing in plastic shotshell box and enclosing some vapor paper.

lcclower
05-29-2016, 01:36 AM
I like the LD as well and went thru same learning process about needing to clean factory preservative from new rotors. Someone suggested storing in plastic shotshell box and enclosing some vapor paper.

Vapor paper here. Had to polish rust bumps from several rotors, paper stopped the problem.