PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever made a bullet mold out of graphite?

dominicfortune00
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
While at work today, I watched a guy Cad Welding electrical equipment grounds.

Since Cad Welding turns a metallic powder into molten bronzelike metal, which is very,very hot; a thought struck me, why couldn't a bullet mold be made out of graphite?

While a graphite mold is more fragile than aluminum or steel, it would be easier to make a mold out of graphite.

Whats everybody think about this?

leftiye
05-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I like the idea of a mold that neither absorbs nor conducts heat. I don't like the idea of the mold disintegrating over time. Is there a variant that is held together better by something that isn't sensitive to heat. Kevlar is both very hard to machine, and I don't think it is invulnerable to heat. Maybe meerschaum?

Wicky
05-15-2008, 01:01 AM
I suppose anything can be done - be no good for me, my hamfisted casting would break the mould. You could say that your boolit is a one off 'cause after it was made they broke the mould.:-D
I know that is a little sad, couldn't help myself.[smilie=1:
An upside would be you could write any casting notes with the corner. :veryconfu

:kidding:

Bent Ramrod
05-15-2008, 02:22 AM
They used to make them out of soapstone occasionally. The problem with graphite is that the same tooling and trouble would be needed to make them as to make aluminum, brass or iron moulds and then the mould could break at any time for any reason at all or none. I think foundry people recognize that graphite crucibles need to be retired after a certain number of cycles. A pitcher full of molten metal that has gone to the well once too often is an unhandy thing.

It wouldn't collect lead deposits or rust, though:mrgreen:.

jswaff
05-15-2008, 06:37 AM
It won't collect rust or lead deposits, but it will collect moisture. I have to use a torch on my graphite cadweld molds and heat them until the moisture disappears. I wonder how that would react with molten lead??

Tom Herman
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi Dominic!

Take heed of what the others have said. I do Cadwelding as well, and moulds have a definite life, especially if you're not careful!
The material is very soft, and will wear in no time, especially if you're over aggressive. Bullets that stick in the moulds might actually break off parts of the mould.
And yes, the moulds also have moisture issues. They need to be heated before use.
Then there is the issue of slamming the moulds together: Graphite would be very unforgiving! Your investment would be junk in no time.

Happy Shootin! -Tom

QUOTE=dominicfortune00;339108]While at work today, I watched a guy Cad Welding electrical equipment grounds.

Since Cad Welding turns a metallic powder into molten bronzelike metal, which is very,very hot; a thought struck me, why couldn't a bullet mold be made out of graphite?

While a graphite mold is more fragile than aluminum or steel, it would be easier to make a mold out of graphite.

Whats everybody think about this?[/QUOTE]