PDA

View Full Version : .243 Win Savage Axis first shots=WOW!

dualsport
05-24-2016, 01:41 PM
I have just bought a new Savage Axis II XP in .243 Win. from 'Bud's'. First range report using jacketed handloads; easily going .5moa! Hooray for Savage! And this is a lightweight 6.5 .lb hunting rifle with a really cheap stock. I may not change a thing. The Accutrigger adjusted down to my favorite, 2.75 lbs. It's purpose is to be a coyote rifle for windy days but I'm set up to load cast boolits for it so that's next. Great gun for the money. Thought Savage earned a little pat on the back.EDIT: And I believe Savage is still an American owned company. Win win.

izzyjoe
05-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Those are great rifles, have one in 223 and love it!

kungfustyle
05-26-2016, 09:50 PM
I have one in 06 and it outshoots my $500 TC Venture. Savage makes a great gun. Good for you.

Peregrine
06-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I don't like the way that savages are put together, and I especially dislike the AccuTrigger.
However I cannot deny that dollar for dollar they are the most accurate rifles i've shot.

koger
06-04-2016, 12:41 AM
I have 9 Savages, all built on small shank actions, and some bone stock factory rifles. A lot of folks don't understand, that ugly barrel nut makes very tight tolerances on headspace possible, and acts like an extension of the action, supporting the barrel over a longer area, stiffening it. I have a factory 112, long action 22-250, that has outshot rifles costing 3x its price, for years. Savage actions are one of the strongest, and one of the fastest lock times out there, not to mention they learned how to make great shooting barrels from Dieter Anschutz! They dominate any stock target shoots around here, my customs I have built myself shoot with bench rifles costing 2x what they do. I admit some of the factory rifles can be plain, or ugly, till you shoot them, then the proof is in the results!

trails4u
06-04-2016, 01:47 AM
I bought my son an Axis (the old one...no accu-trigger) in 7mm-08 last year. Loaded up some mid-range loads, off to the range for grins, as he really wanted to shoot. No load development...brand new rifle, who knows? where the load was....still shot just over MOA at 100yds. Looking forward to dialing it in this year......he's very excited about hunting with it! And enjoys punching paper as well. It won't quite hang with my Tikka......but for a sub $400 rifle....no complaints here!