PDA

View Full Version : revolver sights

BigMagShooter
05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
wondering what is out there and what do most people use for sights on their revolvers.

scopes are not the subject here, just iron sights.

I have found that the standard black front blade and black notch rear are not the best for hunting lo light conditions and brown targets.

I'm starting to look around at what's out there so, show me and tell me what works for you.

Outpost75
05-23-2016, 09:47 PM
On my hunting revolvers, which are Ruger single-actions, I like the Hamilton Bowen Rough Country sights, and have a vertical white metal inlay placed in the front sight blade. You must settle on one load and zero, but once set they are very rugged and stand up to field use very well.

bdicki
05-23-2016, 10:02 PM
I did this for my two blackhawks. My old eyes aren't what they used to be. Added benefit of the dovetail is the ability to select a front sight height. The original sight was too short.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/DSCN0247.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/bdicki/DSCN0243.jpg

imashooter2
05-23-2016, 10:04 PM
On the guns I use for action games, I like SDM Fiber Optic fronts with S&W white outline rear blades.

DerekP Houston
05-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Im cheap/lazy...I just dabbed some white out on the black blade.

Hick
05-23-2016, 11:19 PM
OK-- don't laugh at me too much-- but when I first got my S&W M&P 38 Special I had never fired a pistol and only used peep sights on my rifles. I couldn't hit a thing with the pistol. So-- I drilled out the primer pocket of a 223 case and glued it to the top rear of the pistol and used it like a peep sight. This worked really great for months-- until the glue came loose and the case fell off. By then, I had gotten to know my pistol better, and discovered I could shoot standard small bore rifle targets at 50 yards by just putting a dab of orange paint on the front blade (so I could see it). That's all I use now.

joatmon
05-23-2016, 11:25 PM
I just started changing out to the One Ragged Hole peep sight and really like them!
Aaron

leftiye
05-24-2016, 05:22 AM
I pretty much only have S&Ws that I've put new (changed) sights on. I really like the old (now discontinued) Millett white outline rear sight. White refrigerator paint on front sight carefully scratch line down the middle and apply black ink to groove.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-24-2016, 07:10 AM
On my hunting revolvers, which are Ruger single-actions, I like the Hamilton Bowen Rough Country sights, and have a vertical white metal inlay placed in the front sight blade. You must settle on one load and zero, but once set they are very rugged and stand up to field use very well.
yep Bowen Rough Country sights 168747

justashooter
05-24-2016, 07:42 AM
a cheap improvement for 4 screw smiths and other guns (with drill and tap) is the Wondersight:
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

bdicki
05-24-2016, 07:56 AM
yep Bowen Rough Country sights 168747
How do the front sights mount?

LUCKYDAWG13
05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
How do the front sights mount?

The front sights on my Ruger Blackhawk and super Blackhawks are soldered on so no changing the front sights on these unless you take to a gunsmith to resolder them on

Thumbcocker
05-24-2016, 09:17 AM
A gunsmith can also mill off the front sight on a Ruger then mill a slot in the base allowing you to use Ruger pin on front sight blades. Stainless Ruger single actions already have pin on front sight blades.

bdicki
05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
The front sights on my Ruger Blackhawk and super Blackhawks are soldered on so no changing the front sights on these unless you take to a gunsmith to resolder them on
That's why I milled off the blade and went with the dovetail, many sight options with a dovetail.

tja6435
05-24-2016, 11:19 AM
XS Sights on my revolvers if I change the factory ones out. I like a small dot tritium front sight for my Speed Six and 3" GP100. Also have a big dot front tritium sight and rear blade on a 4" Security Six

rancher1913
05-24-2016, 02:22 PM
my wife has a hard time with pistol sights, tried the florescent paint, tried all kinds of tricks and nothing helped her, so gave up and put a crimson trace on, now she can hit what she means to.

Mytmousemalibu
05-24-2016, 02:47 PM
I couldn't see the original red ramp front sight on my 686 so it got a HiViz fiber optic blade. Much better now!

kir_kenix
05-24-2016, 03:54 PM
Red paint marker works wonder on a ramped front sight. I like the white outline rear, like most of the new s&w come with.

Fiber optics are ok as long as they are rugged enough to survive being holstered thousands of times. Some of the cheap ones seem to break midway between the unsupported portion. Not tough to slide a new one in, heat the ends up with a lighter and make them so they can't slide out again...still a pain in the butt.

Tritium for most of my carry guns.

376Steyr
05-24-2016, 04:15 PM
If you feel like experimenting, nail polish comes in all sorts of colors and if you don't like a combination it can be easily removed. I have a bright yellow front sight on a S&W M15 and like it.

Silver Jack Hammer
05-25-2016, 09:16 AM
I've always favored yellow over red, yellow is supposed to be the center of the color spectrum for the human eye which is a fancy way of saying it shows up the best. Quick draw ramp from sights with a steep angle are a pain compared to partridge sights, but some slope is OK for most light conditions. I've been using yellow plastic model paint dabbed on with a toothpick for years with success. A red ramp front sight is the worst idea yet.

Mytmousemalibu
05-25-2016, 05:37 PM
I've always favored yellow over red, yellow is supposed to be the center of the color spectrum for the human eye which is a fancy way of saying it shows up the best. Quick draw ramp from sights with a steep angle are a pain compared to partridge sights, but some slope is OK for most light conditions. I've been using yellow plastic model paint dabbed on with a toothpick for years with success. A red ramp front sight is the worst idea yet.

I agree! Not only does the red ramp stink for the above reasons but I am colorblind, as you might have guessed, a red/green deficiency. With as terrible as the red ramp was that S&W factory equipped my 686 with.... Might as well have not even had a front sight. Sight picture was appalling for me. I fitted it with an Amber HiViz fiber optic because it actually stands out well in contrast and draws my sight to it. Much, much better now. I wished mine had a quick-change style blade but in spite of that, not too hard to install if one takes his time fitting it properly. It seems well constructed for the price and the light pipe seems secure and I think it is serviceable for replacement of the light pipe. For the same reasons my M&P Open gun I went with an Amber dot Trijicon RMR. I wished more companies offered other colors than red for dot-style optics. I love that RMR with exception to 2 things, the first being the amber and green versions are the dual-illuminated model which works very well, very rugged since it is non-electronic but shooting in a dark into bright area, the dot washes out bad. Very difficult to see then but it doesn't happen too often. The other issue is the size of the window, it's one of if not the most compact micro dot optics which is great for a carry gun or something of that nature. For competition compactness doesn't matter in Open Division, bigger glass is better! I just ordered a C-More to give a try so back to a RED-dot.... Hope it works out!

M-Tecs
05-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Same for me. I have the same red/green deficiency but red dot work well for me. Yellow or fluorescent green front sights work the best for me.

Scharfschuetze
05-26-2016, 01:08 AM
I'm old school I guess. Flat black ramp or patridge front sight and a plain black rear sight. My S&W Mod 65 has a yellow insert to get rid of the SS glare of the factory front sight in the sun and that works OK, but I really wish it was a plain black unit. I usually spray it black when doing any serious accuracy shooting with it.

Petrol & Powder
05-26-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm also a bit old school and prefer fixed sights on most revolvers. Fixed sights don't get "out of adjustment" and are a bit tougher than adjustable sights. The Bowen sight solution used by Outpost75 provides a good balance between a tough set of sights and a good sight picture.
The factory fixed sights, like the ones displayed by Scharfschuetze in post #23 are my choice. While the simple rear notch doesn't provide the same excellent sight picture of the larger rear blade of most adjustable sights, it is acceptable and far tougher. I also tend to paint front blades black or smoke the blades it improve contrast and reduce glare.

One of the great myths of adjustable sights is that adjustable sights are more accurate than fixed sights. I often tell people that adjustable sights do not make your groups smaller, they only allow you to move that group around on the target!

I've had very good experiences with fixed sights and had 1 S&W model 64 that shot poorly with 158 grain bullets until I pushed the loads faster. Most of the S&W and Ruger revolvers I've shot that had fixed sights - shot to P.O.A. with the fixed sights.
On the guns I have that are equipped with adjustable sights, I set them once and never fool with them again. To me they are semi-adjustable.

44man
05-26-2016, 01:11 PM
I hate ramp sights. Undercut is best. and flat black but hunting might mean what you see. Carry is also different. What works is what counts.

sixshot
05-26-2016, 02:11 PM
44man is correct & age has a lot to do with it. With iron sights it all comes down to what you can see, you can't hit it if you can't see it. Black sights work great at the range but very seldom are they the best when hunting. You usually get a shot early in the morning or late in the afternoon & black sights on a dark target in the shade isn't a good combination, at least for a lot of us old timers.
For me, I have to have some contrast, I've always narrowed the front sight to 1/10" & then painted it white, then let it dry & then paint it your favorite color, I usually use orange, but yellow or green also works well. You just have to experiment.
But one things for sure, you will lose valuable time with black sights when hunting unless you have young eyes. A scope or red dot can be the answer if you like them, I don't but that's just me, use what works best & eat venison.
Oh yes, the reason to paint it white first, the second color shows up much better if you do. On my competition guns for USPSA I always used fiber optic green, very fast to find but not the best for precision at distance. I just missed a badger last week at about 50 yds using my 45 Mountain Gun with a FO front sight, slipped it just over him as he lay flat to the ground facing me, he looked like the front end of a coke bottle. With a post or patridge front sight I would have nailed him.

Dick

Ballistics in Scotland
05-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Partridge sights are great for horizontal alignment, for the eye is very good at seeing whether those two bright spaces on either side of the front side blade are equal in thickness. The width of the notch might have to be tailored to the length of your arm - or the thickness of the blade, but the notch is usually easier. The trouble comes when the target visible through those narrow slots isn't bright.

But who made the rule that says those bright lines have to be a view of the target? It would surely work well if they were part of the front sight. It could be white or any colour of plastic (the thermoplastic used for electrical fittings would be good, or even the ceramic used to make kitchen knives, possibly with a black filled line for the "blade". The part hidden by the rear sight could be as wide and rounded as you iike.

It could even be translucent and illuminated internally by a tritium capsule, less dazzling than they normally are. I believe it is true that red is less visible than yellow in poor light, for the reason stated. But that goes hand in hand with an advantage. Many decades ago I worked (in an earthbound capacity) in the basic pilot training school for British Airways. In nearby Southampton there was a street where ladies used to sit in the window surveying the neighbourhood with a red light close by. That would obviously puzzle anybody, but one of the flying instructors explained it to me. Red light impairs the night vision less than any other colour.

Alternatively a given and small amount of tritium or electricity will make a green light seem brightest to the eye. Yellow would be better in daylight, since so much foliage is green. But at night green might be best.

Mal Paso
05-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Hamilton Bowen has an excellent article on revolver sights in his Classic Arms Journal this quarter: http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/

I have his Rough Country Sights on my 629 along with a fiber optic Improved Ramp from Cylinder and Slide in front. My other revolvers have Patridge fiber optic front sights. Hi-Viz Steel I think.

That Red Ramp was the first thing to go on each of my revolvers.:-)

imashooter2
05-26-2016, 10:35 PM
I tried green fiber. Science aside, it was gone PDQ. Red might not be as bright but it is way more visible and contrasts better against most backgrounds. Orange is better yet, but not a common factory offering.

Blackwater
05-26-2016, 11:04 PM
If anyone gets the sights issue all figured out, please explain it to me! All I really know is that for me, at this stage in my life and with my vision definitely not getting any better with the passage of time, I do best, at least generally, with a white outline rear and white insert front. Part of this is because if I'm shooting in low light, I've come to understand Ben Franklin's reference to "the dimming of old eyes" a LOT better than I really wanted to! As Ballistics pointed out, I like to see a good sliver of light on both sides of the front sight when looking through the notch of the rear. That, for me at least, goes a long ways toward keeping me aligned pretty well.

I just got a pair of MPA white outline adj. rear sights for my pair of Combat Commanders, and I chose them because the white outline is more prominent than most others I've seen, and the rear notch is a bit bigger and wider than most. My eyes just are more reliable, most particularly if I have to shoot quickly, as might be the case with one of my defensive guns. However, the same is true for a field pistol as well, regardless of action. I've been looking real hard at those Bowen sights mentioned, and I'll probably wind up with several of those on my Blackhawks. I like the view in the shooting position - flat, and not "busy" with other lines and features to draw any of my attention (which also isn't getting any stronger with years) away from those sights.

I really think this is one of the best and most fruitful "custom" features on any handgun - sights that just plain WORK for us as individuals. MORE than worth the additional cost, IMO! I'm of a long line of old Scots blood, and about as "economical" as anyone you'll meet, but when it comes to handguns, those sights are what it's all about when you want to actually HIT something! That and good technique, and you can really surprise yourself. But as someone above already said, you can't hit if if you can't see it, and can't align those sights. Good post!

44man
05-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Red sucks in low light, you will lose it faster then anything but green is still bright. I made a Flint lock with original type sights, brass front and could not hit a deer since all I seen was a ball of light back in the hemlocks. I did the worst and best by putting a more modern sight on and deer then had no chance. Too bright is not good either, like turning a red dot to full.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Yes, if it's too bright you can't see past it. But toning it down by a touch of varnish or tape is a whole lot easier than brightening it up.

Ola
05-27-2016, 04:04 PM
Just in case someone needs a very high quality adjustable rear sight (target style):

http://www.finnsight.fi/en/the_sight

It is not cheap, but THE BEST usually isn't cheap. I have couple of them and they are worth it.

dvnv
05-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Bowen Target rear with a quality Patridge front works best for me. I'll concede others are better in dim light, or quicker up close...but day in and day out I'll take black on black.

Sean357
05-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Had a bunch of trouble picking up the blued front sight on my SP101 3" when I first got it. Started looking around for a replacement but didn't want to spend upwards of $100 on something I might have ended up not liking. So I did the economical thing and stole my wife's white and fluorescent orange enamel nail polish. Some tape, 1 coat of white and 2 coats orange. Works great, has helped me increase my speed and accuracy.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

RedHawk357Mag
05-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Just in case someone needs a very high quality adjustable rear sight (target style):

http://www.finnsight.fi/en/the_sight

It is not cheap, but THE BEST usually isn't cheap. I have couple of them and they are worth it.
OK I will bite just how much are these? It's a crying shame to even consider out sourcing this to Finland. I can't believe that Bowens is the only answer to after market sights.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ola
05-28-2016, 10:55 AM
OK I will bite just how much are these? It's a crying shame to even consider out sourcing this to Finland. I can't believe that Bowens is the only answer to after market sights.

There wasn't any high quality sights available, so there is no shame involved here..

Tell me what gun you have and I'll ask the availability and price. Or just ask yourself: info@finnsight.fi

ole 5 hole group
05-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Depending upon your firearm, a lot of guys will just order a thinner front sight - problem being, you usually have to order these front sights from a custom gun smith, such as Dave Clements. The price will be a tad higher if you have him blue the sight and then you just might want to add a gold bar (brass) and that will be a tad extra as well.;-)

All my removal front sight revolvers have 0.100" thickness blades but I should have went 0.090" I think? On one 1911, I opened up the rear sight a tad and that seemed to help some.

For hunting and target work, I've just went to the red dot on a couple revolvers/pistols and lighten the trigger pull to my liking. On the 1911 you just can't go wrong with milling the slide to accept one of the micro red dot sights such as the Leupold DeltaPoint, J-Point or the RMR - highly recommended for hunting, target or everyday carry - just do your homework on selecting a gunsmith to do the milling.;-)

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2016, 11:43 AM
no colors for me. I like a black bowen target rear and some type of a black post front (flat blade not ramp) thinned to .10. that gives light on both sides of the blade when its centered in the back notch. The light shows up much better in low light then any color insert does. Basically ive found a colored insert might give 5 more minutes of use over a black set up and then washes out too. the light on the sides of the blade holds up till there is not more light and really stands out if theres some snow on the ground. I fooled with fiber optic and found them to fragile to trust. If I can afford tritium I do the black set up. I had Dave clements make me a couple front post style front blades for ruger single actions that he inletted a tritium insert but did it verticaly so it was the whole length of the front blade face. they worked the best but weren't cheap.

RedHawk357Mag
05-28-2016, 11:58 AM
I don't blame you in the least bit... Sorry if my might have carried that. I am miffed that there seems to be no one really dealing with this demand, ~insert bold font here~, well. Sights are what really drive the train with good accurate shooting. Hi viz sights seem to Starburst in bright sunlight. Anything painted seems to catch glare. Birchwood Casey sight black does a OK job on the range line for the most part but doesn't take well to any holstering gun bag or casing. Red ramp sights are functional in loosest of terms. I will contact him and see what he has to offer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mal Paso
05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
The Hi-Viz style front sights I have look like a plain Patridge at the range where the shooting benches are covered and the optic isn't lit. There is some bloom from the fiber optic when I'm out in the woods but the front sight is easy to find and I know where to put it in relation to the rear sight. I think the speed of target acquisition is worth the mental adjustment.

roundgun
05-28-2016, 01:05 PM
I use big dots on my competition revolvers. very fast for combat accuracy. at 25 yards plus they tend to cover any fine point you are aiming at. I usually just cover the center of where i aim at that distance, they are quite accurate. you do have to run them through their paces until you get used to where point of aim and impact is. Good shooting to you.

Blackwater
05-28-2016, 04:26 PM
One other related but not quite on topic note: One of the neatest little .22 pistols was made up by a friend of mine years ago. He simply took a Ruger Std. Auto .22, cut the barrel down to @ 3.5", and installed the right heighth Lyman Shorty ramp base and a 1/32" white bead slide in front sight, and a Ruger adj. rear with W/O, and gee golly wow is that one neat "river gun." That little front bead is just the right size for shooting snakes' heads off when the fishing is slow, and the snakes need thinning or are poisonous. It'll work on single actions, or whatever as well. Sure makes you focus tighter and shoot better. Sights are a real boon when they're right for whatever your target is, and different sights tend to work better for different types of targets. For bullseye shooting, I like plain black, with undercut front, but for the field, which is where I've always done most of my shooting, a W/O rear and white insert front do better for me than anything else I've ever tried, bar none. But that's with MY eyes. Others' eyes can and will definitely differ. And the older I get, the brighter I need my sights to be for the field.

Just thought I'd comment on those little Ruger .22's. They stay well out of the way until you need them, and then do a first class job from a boat or anywhere you need a really accurate but still compact gun that mostly needs to stay out of the way.

44man
05-29-2016, 09:31 AM
One other related but not quite on topic note: One of the neatest little .22 pistols was made up by a friend of mine years ago. He simply took a Ruger Std. Auto .22, cut the barrel down to @ 3.5", and installed the right heighth Lyman Shorty ramp base and a 1/32" white bead slide in front sight, and a Ruger adj. rear with W/O, and gee golly wow is that one neat "river gun." That little front bead is just the right size for shooting snakes' heads off when the fishing is slow, and the snakes need thinning or are poisonous. It'll work on single actions, or whatever as well. Sure makes you focus tighter and shoot better. Sights are a real boon when they're right for whatever your target is, and different sights tend to work better for different types of targets. For bullseye shooting, I like plain black, with undercut front, but for the field, which is where I've always done most of my shooting, a W/O rear and white insert front do better for me than anything else I've ever tried, bar none. But that's with MY eyes. Others' eyes can and will definitely differ. And the older I get, the brighter I need my sights to be for the field.

Just thought I'd comment on those little Ruger .22's. They stay well out of the way until you need them, and then do a first class job from a boat or anywhere you need a really accurate but still compact gun that mostly needs to stay out of the way.
Who could live without a Ruger Mark? Best ever and has stood the test of time when others went away, even good ones. I had a Mark I standard and it was dead on at 25 and the bullet crossed the line of sight at 80 yards. I hit little birds on power lines at 80. Feel bad about it now because I love birds. Why did I do that?

sixshot
05-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Wondered why there were so many power outages back that way.....44man!!!!

Dick

Blackwater
05-29-2016, 10:01 PM
44man, for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there. I too once did such stuff, but grew out of it. Dad taught me to eat whatever I shot, and as a kid, I shot about 60+ sparrows with my BB gun, and we ate every one of them one night for supper. Boy! Did I ever feel some real pride in being the "provider" of that meal, and Mom and Dad ate heartily, though Mom was a little skittish about it at first. We learn and develop. We don't come into this world with a good mind and conscience. We develop them over time .... at least some of us do.

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2016, 05:29 AM
I'm a retired lineman and just want you to know that shooting at or near a power line that could possibly cause an outage is a federal offence. Not only because it can cause an outage that could effect someone on life support but because shooting insulators (a popular sport believe me as ive spent days changing them out) can actually cause wires to come down and kill you. We had one section of transmission line that went through a popular duck hunting area that we had to work every year! Not one to lecture though as I did dumb things when I was a kid too.