PDA

View Full Version : The type of person I am, powder related.

9w1911
05-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Today, I received an 8# of 2400. I ordered from Recobs and it was about 195.00 to the door. Not bad pricing, it is about 10.00 more than PValley.
I hear the UPS guy, and I make it out the door before my girl knows what just showed up.
The UPS guy hands me the package and says: "hazardous material, I wonder what's in there?"
I look at him and smile and shrug my shoulders. I say nothing.
he then gives my oldest dog a treat, I thank him, and away he goes.
I am not at my house, I am at my girlfriends, and this was a younger driver I had not seen before.
So, I am so much of a weirdo I get paranoid when people ask me things like this, my past UPS driver, reloaded, so he was alway cool about what was delivered and chatted often about it. Now I am here thinking, did I answer that right? why ask me whats in the package?

Budzilla 19
05-23-2016, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, but next time tell him any kind of bs that you can think of, like it's just a can of spray paint,or my moms ashes, or whatever! Car parts are good answers also. He had already forgotten about it by the time he got back in his brown-mobile!!! Not ranting, just letting out some suggestions for the next time. Have fun with it!! Lol

9w1911
05-23-2016, 03:16 PM
haha yea I was thinking the same!

JSnover
05-23-2016, 03:39 PM
He doesn't have a need to know whats in your package. Given all of the crazy stuff being shipped, I'd bet it's not the first time someone opted not to tell him.

mdi
05-23-2016, 04:11 PM
My FedEx guy did the same with a Garand he delivered from CMP. He was just being friendly. And he prolly forgot about it by the time he made it to the corner, looking for his next delivery. I don't advertise my hobbies, but I don't think there's a drone following me or some Fed. making note of every thing delivered to my house or what I bring home...

Not yet at least...

jonp
05-23-2016, 07:56 PM
No, you are not paranoid. I had a package pick up slip for the post office a while back. It was for a $3 watch I ordered on Ebay from China (watch lasted over a year). When I went to pick it up the nosy old lady behind the counter got and and turned it over in her hands a few times and said the same thing "wonder what is in here from China"? I reached across the counter and took it from her and said "none of your business".

Petrol & Powder
05-23-2016, 08:03 PM
I seriously doubt the drivers care even a little bit. It's just a box and a stop to them.

OS OK
05-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Just tell him 'it's a new hammer.'

MrWolf
05-24-2016, 11:01 AM
If memory serves me, Mihec would put tools on his boxes for customs. Generic works!

gsdelong
05-24-2016, 11:29 AM
If you think powder is the most interesting thing that was on the truck that day you may be really surprised.

Kraschenbirn
05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
The last time I received an order of powder, my UPS guy saw the 'ORM-D' sticker, glanced at Graf's shipping label, and asked "Powder or primers?" as he held out his electronic doofus for me to sign. He doesn't reload, himself, but occasionally helps his brother.

Bill

tazman
05-24-2016, 09:03 PM
I was in Bass Pro today. When I checked out, the clerk asked for my phone number and address. When I told her she didn't need to know that information, she got a little huffy with me. I told her I don't give out that information for just anyone and if she felt I should , I would take my money elsewhere. She complained a bit more but completed the transaction.
I expected to see security arrive before I got out of the building but it didn't happen.
The three people in line in front of me all gave out the info without hesitation. I wonder how many of them are getting calls now.

dragon813gt
05-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I was in Bass Pro today. When I checked out, the clerk asked for my phone number and address. When I told her she didn't need to know that information, she got a little huffy with me. I told her I don't give out that information for just anyone and if she felt I should , I would take my money elsewhere. She complained a bit more but completed the transaction.
I expected to see security arrive before I got out of the building but it didn't happen.
The three people in line in front of me all gave out the info without hesitation. I wonder how many of them are getting calls now.

I never give this information out. When they ask for a phone number I politely tell them no. If they start to cop an attitude I become rude and still don't give them the information. They don't need it. Harbor Freight and many others ask for it.

It amazes me how many people willingly give up their personal info for no reason. To many people are sheep and don't question anything.

As far as packages go I never say what's in it. The delivery driver doesn't have a need to know. Many things are Hazmat these days so the sticker doesn't mean much.

tinsnips
05-24-2016, 09:47 PM
When asked question about my address or phone number I just make one up an go on my way. Everybody is happy.

Paper Puncher
05-24-2016, 10:35 PM
You could always tell the driver " I hope it is the new flux capacitor for the Delorean"

Outpost75
05-24-2016, 10:39 PM

When I was working I would give them my work address and just tell them to call 911...

hutch18414
05-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Lowes used to ask for my phone number and zip code. I would give them the number for the Sheriffs office and their zip.

9w1911
05-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Yea I always think of what to say, after the person walks away. :)

runfiverun
05-25-2016, 12:33 PM
867-5309.
everytime, everywhere.

merlin101
05-25-2016, 02:20 PM
867-5309.
everytime, everywhere.

I hear that number on some add on the radio, don't remember what or who the ad's for but every time I hear I break out singing!:)

376Steyr
05-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I hear that number on some add on the radio, don't remember what or who the ad's for but every time I hear I break out singing!:)

Tommy TuTone, 1980s. "Jenny" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

Char-Gar
05-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Why do you care what some delivery truck driver thinks? I don't know why folks think they have to answer questions they don't want to answer. If folks get to pushy, "None of your damn business" work for me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I know all the delivery people and post office clerks in my area. I probably chat with them too long and tell them too much, but when they know you, they are more likely to lookout for you and your packages.

I guess if a new person delivered some powder or such, and I had a sneaky feeling they were a nosy liberal, I might be tight lipped.

this reminds me, years ago, before I was a reloader, I was knee deep in Mil surp rifles and would order mil surp ammo by the case to feed them. I don't recall which seller it was? but I ordered 1k of 8x57 mil surp ammo "bulk packed". I received a cardboard box filled with loose ammo, no packing, no nothing. A corner of the box had a bruise and torn a bit. When I picked it up off my porch, I noticed powder was streaming out that corner...I looked closely at my sidewalk, and seen a wispy trail of powder going down the sidewalk and out to the street :shock:

I opened the box and 50 to 100 rds of that ammo had no projectiles...they were in the bottom of the box in a bed of powder..Lots others were corroded. Most of the headstamps were dated from the 40s. I called and had words with the seller. they sent another box of ammo, packed about the same, but it arrived in better condition, and none were corroded.

what were we talkin' about again??? LOL

Geezer in NH
05-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Well, let's see, you had to pay for the Haz-mat paperwork that goes with the shipment. It is on his paperwork or in the pad he carries. He knows what is in the package when he is doing his job correctly.

Lot's of paranoia around this post.

Flinchrock
05-31-2016, 12:45 AM
867-5309.
everytime, everywhere.

1600 Pennsylvania Ave

30calflash
05-31-2016, 01:20 PM
If memory serves me, Mihec would put tools on his boxes for customs. Generic works!
When I worked for a small specialty store we made shipments to Canada with USPS. There's a manifest attached for customs and it would state "jacketed cores" for Sierra's, had other names for other stuff. Nothing firearms related listed on the packaging. The recipients liked it better that way.

Spector
06-01-2016, 11:37 AM
This would have been a great comeback line.

''We got a great deal on imported glow-in-the dark sex toys, but are you sure the glow stuff makes em hazardous. I didn't see that is their ad. Sure hope it's not lead based.''

Bet he'd smile every time your girl friend opens the door. She might kill you if you tell her though.

Mike

LabGuy
06-01-2016, 03:05 PM
My answer is "just some flammable stuff, you know all those crazy shipping regulations".

jonp
06-04-2016, 03:46 PM
My ups guy just came. While signing for the box he asked "what ya blowing up now"?

crowbuster
06-05-2016, 04:32 PM
My ups guy just came. While signing for the box he asked "what ya blowing up now"? HAHAHAH sounds like me and my guy. He's a great dude, same with my rural mail lady. Always told her if the pkg is to big give me a slip and i'll go to town and pick it up. and she has a few times

William Yanda
06-05-2016, 06:13 PM
I seriously doubt the drivers care even a little bit. It's just a box and a stop to them.

Until the guys in sport coats set them down to answer a few questions to "help" with their investigation.

leeggen
06-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Just tell them it is batteries, even flashlight batteries are list hazardous. They probably already know what it is they are just making conversation.
Our ups and usps both know I buy lead. If they happen to ask it is fishing sinkers,230gr 45 cal. look a likes.
CD

RP
06-05-2016, 10:57 PM
A lot of places ask for your address and or phone number the clerks are required to do so and if they fail to get a percentage I am sure they are spoken to. They track sales to areas and most likely sell your number to some marketer not sure why they want it with all the cell phones now days not much data collection worth.
When the person ask for my number I just say I am married or I asked if i can have theirs and where they live. Keep in mind they are doing what they are told to no need to beat them up for doing their job I am sure it gets old to them fast.
And if you do not give them a address your junk mail would slow down lol.

BTW this is a sure fired way to cut junk mail down. When you get any mail with postage paid return envelope stuff all the junk mail into it that will fit. The postage they are charged is by weight you will be removed off that mailing list fairly quick. Added bonus the PO gets more money and they need it I hear.

nvbirdman
06-07-2016, 06:54 PM
There was a place that insisted on your name and address. They would send out their flyers with your first initial and last name. I used to tell them my name was Frank Raud. The flyers would come addressed to Mr. F Raud. I guess Paul Honey would have worked just as well.

izzyjoe
06-07-2016, 11:09 PM
I worked with a fellow years ago, and he would have packages shipped to work occasionally via ups, we'll come to find out dude was dealing dope out of his house, needless to say he got caught. But it pissed off the boss and me, cause he could have gotten the shop closed for a while till they found out what was going on. I couldn't afford to be out of a job!

10mmShooter
06-10-2016, 08:59 PM
You guys are funny my powder deliveriess from UPS, have a hazmat tag "4" flammable solid, smokeless powder. Your mail man and UPS guy take care of your packages, so I'm friendly to them. Don't kid youself your word games are not fooling them. I prefer to engage the driver so he knows I know him and recognize him, so he take care of my deliveries. I don't advertise my gun or reloading hobbies but you are not fooling your UPS/FedEx driver.

leebuilder
06-11-2016, 11:06 AM
I smile and say "my insulin, thank God it is here"
I have had comments from postal clerks at the post office, even had a customer threaten to call the police, I told her she could use my phone and I would stay until they arrived, I was in uniform too. Some people. She never called. The clerks now just laugh and I leave.
Be well
My attitude is usually dependent on who's mouth is open and how I feel that day. As my grandfather said "play with a bull you my get the horns"

Shiloh
06-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Today, I received an 8# of 2400. I ordered from Recobs and it was about 195.00 to the door. Not bad pricing, it is about 10.00 more than PValley.
I hear the UPS guy, and I make it out the door before my girl knows what just showed up.
The UPS guy hands me the package and says: "hazardous material, I wonder what's in there?"
I look at him and smile and shrug my shoulders. I say nothing.
he then gives my oldest dog a treat, I thank him, and away he goes.
I am not at my house, I am at my girlfriends, and this was a younger driver I had not seen before.
So, I am so much of a weirdo I get paranoid when people ask me things like this, my past UPS driver, reloaded, so he was alway cool about what was delivered and chatted often about it. Now I am here thinking, did I answer that right? why ask me whats in the package?

None of their business. His business is to get you the package and thats the end of it.
Years ago, I ordered in another case of Wolf 7.62x39. The UPS guy made a comment about that much ammo and the weight on his dolly.

My normally mild mannered bride told him it was NOT a lot of ammo and none of his business anyway. In the future to keep his comments to his self.
I was so proud of her.

Shiloh

swheeler
06-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Why do you care what some delivery truck driver thinks? I don't know why folks think they have to answer questions they don't want to answer. If folks get to pushy, "None of your damn business" work for me.

I don't think being rude is the answer to anything, certainly not Christian. By the way it's "too pushy"

Bookworm
06-16-2016, 08:19 PM
362-4368
From AC/DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".
Used it at Lowe's once, the frumpy 50-ish cashier sang the next line - " I lead a life of crime....."
I was still chuckling in the parking lot.