PDA

View Full Version : Cetme/C308 Century arms question

HeavyMetal
05-23-2016, 11:09 AM
BIL just flashed one of these at my sister birthday get together.

Nice rifle shoots well like the 308 round, but this thing beat the brass pretty good.

I expected the striations on the case body but man this thing is hard on the necks of the case, add in a few dents lower down and I can see issues keeping brass decent.

Load was 150 grain FMJ LC case trimmed 2.005 Federal primer powder was 42.0 grains WW 748 which is a start load supposedly in the 48 K pressure range.

Do they make buffers for this? It's basically an HK 91 so aftermarket stuff should fit.

Looking to stop the mangling of the case if possible.

JSnover
05-23-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't own one of those but my FAL does the same thing and I don't know if a buffer would help. Most of the damage is inflicted after the case is flung out and bounces off the edge of the ejection port or the top cover.
In spite of being pretty banged up I've reloaded them without any failures.

HeavyMetal
05-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Maybe some de burring and polishing of the ejection port will help?

Kraschenbirn
05-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Don't have one but a shooting buddy does and, every time he brings it to the range, I end up with a bunch of mangled milsurp brass (he doesn't cast and reloads only handgun) that goes straight to the recycle bin under my workbench.

Bill

JSnover
05-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Maybe some de burring and polishing of the ejection port will help?
In my case I'm certain it would, though it would be more a matter of changing a small gouge to a small dent and I doubt it would have any effect on the damage to case mouth as it spins backwards and hits the top cover. I suppose the same thing is happening to the OPs brass. Since none of them have been ruined yet I may just live with it.
I have an ancient Bushnell HoloSight on top and I did glue a strip of rubber to the side of the mount, so at least my 'poor mans red dot' didn't take as much of a beating.
The fix for the CETME might be as simple as taping over the spots where the brass hits the receiver, though a made-for-the-purpose cover would look (and probably work) better.

5 RING
05-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Looking to stop the mangling of the case if possible. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh god that's rich.

to tell you the truth you can not but mangle the brass in a CETME. the fluted chamber is what makes them so reliable shooting any type of **** ammo in any type of climate,weather or environmental conditions, sorry.

you can buy a case lot sale of steel cased ammo and just have fun with it, wolf ammo works great in my CETME, never had a hiccup with that stuff. but as for brass and wanting to reloading more then twice after firing from a CETME not happening. the H&K has a fluted chamber like the CETME but not as hard on brass thou.

I own a few Milsurp rifles that will never get brass ammo because of the fluted chambers (SVT-40, PSL-54, CETME)

here's a link that shows what i'm talking about the CETME http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=56126&mobile=on

GONRA
05-26-2016, 05:49 PM
GONRA sez - some Tokarev's require a VERY LIGHT grease rubbing
on the CARTRIDGE CASE (NOT bullet!) to function properly.

LAGS
05-26-2016, 09:43 PM
I have always had a Ejection Port Buffer on my HK 91 after the first magazine I shot thru it, and saw how badly the casings got dented.
The buffer also helps direct the ejected rounds in a consistant direction where they are easier to find at the range.
I think the HK buffer will work on your model.

HeavyMetal
05-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Lags
Thanks for the info, I'll start looking for one.

I expected the fluted chambers to leave carbon marks on the brass and they would clean up with SS pins in a wet tumble solution.

Plan to try that this weekend and see how it works.

The CETME is actually the forerunner of the HK91 so the buffer should work.

LAGS
05-28-2016, 10:02 AM
I bought my HK back in 1979 and the buffer a week later.
I just picked up a scope mount and Bi Pod for it to replace ones I sold off over the years.
Check out RTG Parts @ www. robertrtgparts .com that is where I found the BiPod.
My HK is one of the reasons I moved to AZ from Garden Grove Ca.
The Assault rifle regestration and ban were too restrictive for me.
Ouestion, ? How are you buying a CETME in Ca ?
I have a Brother who wants to sell his HK but cant in Ca. but he wants an arm and a leg to sell it to me out of state.
The Brass will clean up a bit, but the flutes wont go away.
I have some LC-78 cases with the flutes still showing that I have retired to cast bullet loading from the original case of ammo I bought with the rifles.
We Bought 10 HK's in '79 and wish we hadn't sold them off that first few years.
Now they are worth their weight in gold.

HeavyMetal
05-28-2016, 10:57 AM
CETME belongs to the BIL who lives near Carson City, NV.
Buying the CETME was no issue there.

He's kinda new at the shooting game but seems to be buying right, no AR syndrome yet, LOL!

As I've been at it most of my life I'm the go to guy for gun problems and this is my current project.

LAGS
05-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Most ranges in Ca. wouldn't let me shoot the HK because I had the Bayonet mount on it, it had a flash hider , Threaded Barrel and the magazine held 20 rounds, even though the rifle was registered per their restrictions.
But I couldn't sell it in the state. I had to transfer it out of state thru an FFL or Take it out of state myself.
South Coast Gun range would let me shoot it only with a 5 round magazine, or if I single loaded rounds.
Things may have changed in the last 22 years, but I cant see where they are coming from with their restrictions.
I am suprised that they dont make you put a sticker on the guns permenetly attached that says, ' Materials used in the manufactur of this product are known by the state of California to cause cancer. "
I still love the state, but not their Politics.

Artful
05-28-2016, 02:25 PM
If your going to load for him I suggest IMR 3031 powder - you can get a ejection port buffer but it only handles the dings on the side - the fluting is sort of a part of it but they reload ok - if you notice the ejector marking the bottom of the case badly the bolt velocity is too high and you need to reduce the load - if you use too slow a powder it will bend/rip the rims on cases, but still eject them just fine. My HK has pretty good accuracy so his PTR should as well if assembled right. Does work well with cast boolits as it still cycles with lower pressure loads, some so low as I didn't expect it to work and it still did.

LAGS
05-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks Artful.
I was wondering how the HK did with Cast Loads.
I had never tried any in this rifle.
Since I have dusted off the cobwebs, and will be shooting it a little more, you may see it down at Casa Grande some Sunday.

gnostic
05-28-2016, 07:13 PM
I used to own a HK 91 and didn't reload the brass, that's why I no longer own it...

Geezer in NH
06-04-2016, 06:47 PM
The brass is reloadable. But the new internet guys won't think so. Brass should be good for 3 reloads anyway.

The question is did the angry beavers who assembled it made it correct enough to actually function.

CIA has had many function problems in the past (hence angry beavers) and when I had my shop many got sent back right away.