PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 / 32 Win Velocity using Black Powder

boise outlaw
05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
I was hoping some of you could share your experiences reloading either of the two cartridges with black powder and the bullet weight you are using. I am planning to reload the 35 Rem for black powder which is just slightly bigger case capacity and am trying to decide between the 158 and 200 grain boolit.

dtknowles
05-23-2016, 11:44 AM
I would use 32-40 as a guide for what you could get out of a 30-30 or 32 Win SPL. I think that with typical bullet weights that 1400 - 1500 fps is about all you can expect even if you have excess powder capacity.

32-40 , 165 gr. bullet, 40 gr. BP, 1440 fps.

If you go with light bullets in the .35 like the 158 gr. that would be like an express load and velocities can be higher, like maybe 1800 fps. if you have a longer barrel.

Tim

Tim

boise outlaw
05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks! That is exactly what i was looking for!

Outpost75
05-23-2016, 03:39 PM
You will be hard pressed to get over 1400 with modern brass and black powder, due to the quality of today's powder and lesser capacity of heavier brass. With fixed ammo and Goex powder expect about 1300 fps in a 20" barrel, you might get 1400 fps in a 24" and a bit more in a 26".

I have a .35/.30-30 with 16" twist barrel and loading Accurate 36-245D bullet, Swiss powder, long drop tube and a compression die you might get 40 grains in... I get about 1300 fps. This bullet does have enough lube capacity for black powder. Other modern cast bullets for the .35 don't. This is as heavy a bullet as I have gotten to stabilize subsonic in a 16" twist.

boise outlaw
05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
I was planning on a 158 or 200 grain boolit depending on which performed better, why does black powder require more lube though?

Outpost75
05-23-2016, 09:24 PM
I was planning on a 158 or 200 grain boolit depending on which performed better, why does black powder require more lube though?

To keep the fouling soft. SPG lube works well, or if mixing your own use 50-50 beeswax and tallow or lard.

boise outlaw
05-24-2016, 10:06 AM
To keep the fouling soft. SPG lube works well, or if mixing your own use 50-50 beeswax and tallow or lard.

ah i see! so it sort of leaves a trail in there that the fouling adheres to. I use a 50/50 with my lee moulds so we will have to see if it lubes enough. If not maybe i can play around with the lube a bit to see if i can find a ratio that'd work. The BP i've been making has a pretty clean burn compared to factory but I'm definitely concerned with repeated shots without wiping in between like i do with the flintlock. This is my first attempt at a black powder cartridge so all the extra input helps!

dtknowles
05-24-2016, 10:35 AM
ah i see! so it sort of leaves a trail in there that the fouling adheres to. I use a 50/50 with my lee moulds so we will have to see if it lubes enough. If not maybe i can play around with the lube a bit to see if i can find a ratio that'd work. The BP i've been making has a pretty clean burn compared to factory but I'm definitely concerned with repeated shots without wiping in between like i do with the flintlock. This is my first attempt at a black powder cartridge so all the extra input helps!

While the fouling adheres to the lube, we would rather it get blown out the muzzle. What the lube does is keep the fouling soft, fluid so each shot carries as much fouling out the muzzle as possible instead of getting hard and crusty and sticking to the barrel.

Tim

boise outlaw
05-25-2016, 04:42 PM
question on primers, to ensure a complete burn I've read that some are using magnum primers, is this absolutely necessary? also what about drilling the case to accept a 209 shotshell primer instead?

Outpost75
05-25-2016, 05:16 PM
question on primers, to ensure a complete burn I've read that some are using magnum primers, is this absolutely necessary? also what about drilling the case to accept a 209 shotshell primer instead?

Modern primers are much hotter than those used during the black powder era. Magnum primers are not necessary, nor are they harmful. Obsolete blackpowder cases which were originally inside primed or using Berdan primers are sometimes reworked to use 209 shotgun primers, but people do so only because those cases are very hard to get and impractical to make from an existing case. Not needed in your situation.

In some black powder actions having a weak hammer blow, such as Ballards, it is common to use pistol primers, because they are more sensitive and easily set off. If your rifle reliably sets off standard large rifle primers, those are what I would use.

boise outlaw
05-25-2016, 05:48 PM
thanks again! I was hoping 20" of barrel and a standard rifle primer should be enough for a complete burn in the 35 Rem. I'd feel bad to have special ordered these cases and then go and drill them.

Outpost75
05-25-2016, 06:10 PM
When shooting black powder you will want to bring a jar with a 50-50 mix of vinegar and water with a bit of detergent in it, to drop your cases in as you fire them. When you get home brush the cases out with a soft nylon bore brush large enough to scrub the interior, then decap and rinse in clean water. Case necks will turn black, but cleaning out the fouling will save your brass from corrosion.