PDA

View Full Version : i have an old star 38 super that needs love...and a few parts.

mozeppa
05-22-2016, 05:24 PM
it breaks down exactly like a 1911.

i'd like to get new grips, a barrel, barrel bushing, slide spring and cap.

anyone know where a guy can get star parts?

LUCKYDAWG13
05-22-2016, 05:37 PM
maybe this can help you http://www.gun-parts.com/star/

Der Gebirgsjager
05-22-2016, 07:35 PM
mo-If it breaks down like a 1911, and has the swinging link under the barrel like a 1911, and will shoot .38 Super, then it is most likely a Star Model A. Firstly, you shouldn't shoot .38 Super in it. If it's stamped 9mm/38 it is referring to the standard .38 ACP. Super is too hot and will eventually damage the pistol. That having been said, parts are hard to come by because the Star people have been out of business for going on 20 years now, and most available parts are cannibalized from existing guns that are "parted out." However, you can get a correct recoil spring replacement from Wolff Gun Springs, and you can get attractive custom grips from 4sgrips.com, Reine Smith. The other parts are going to be harder to come by. It may help to know that all of the parts except the barrel will interchange between the Star Models A & B. The B model is a 9mm Luger version, whereas the A model is 9mm Largo. If you run across a good barrel for a Model B before you find one for a Model A you could convert your A to a B just by swapping out the barrel. Your best bet to find these parts is just to haunt the internet sites where they are likely to be offered for sale, such as e-bay, and check sites such as Gunbroker and GunAuction's parts for sale sections. You can also check periodically with the Gun Parts Corp. and Jack First Corp. because they buy guns just to strip for parts, but the supply comes and goes and you have to keep checking back. Don't overlook SARCO which not too long ago had a supply of parts for these pistols, also J&G Sales which was selling the Model B very recently and had some "gunsmith specials" sold as-is needing repair. You could consider buying one to strip for the parts you need. I speak from experience because I once had a Model B that was missing the magazine catch assembly and it took almost a year to find one. Good luck in your search--they are fine pistols that definitely are worth fixing.

mozeppa
05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
many thanks to the 2 responders!