PDA

View Full Version : Effect of grooves on cast bullets using powder coating??

248dm
05-22-2016, 03:01 PM
I've been buying cast bullets from various suppliers for several years. For the last year I've been buying powder coated bullets and have been pleased with them. The PC I have been buying do not have lube grooves. Some of those I've bought for my .308 I've had to re-size to .310 and have not noticed any degradation in how they shoot.

I have a couple thousand lead pistol and rifle bullets. I would assume it would be necessary to remove the lube before trying to powder coat my existing stock of lead bullets, correct? If so how can I get the lube off?

I cannot find any bullet molds that do not have lube grooves. I'd love to find something like this http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30_333&products_id=2357 without grooves. Do the grooves hurt performance in a PC bullet?

I do not currently have a casting set-up but do have about 100 lbs of lead I've been saving from various sources and am about ready to get into casting if I can use the powder coating method.

bangerjim
05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
NLG molds are generally custom made by folks on here in group buys. I have 2 of them and see absolutely ZERO difference in performance compaired to my standard grease groove or microgroove boolits that are also PC'd.

Strip your grease off. Do a search on here in the white above for SEVERAL (!) methods of removing grease. It has to be removed 110% or you will have problems. I have my method that wrorks perfectly every time but am not going to go into that detail. It has been posted at lease a dozen times on here.

Get more lead to cast! I can go thru 50# of Pb in just one trip to the range!

Have fun!

bangerjim

flyingmonkey35
05-22-2016, 03:46 PM
I like to get the lube off my lead 2 ways.

Shoot it off
Or smelt it off.

Other then that ..

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

C. Latch
05-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I would assume it would be necessary to remove the lube before trying to powder coat my existing stock of lead bullets, correct? If so how can I get the lube off?

Just shoot them. Life is entirely too short to clean lube off of bullets.

Do the grooves hurt performance in a PC bullet?

No. Period. As I type this I have a batch of PC'ed bullets cooling off in the toaster oven. They have lube grooves. They shoot fine.