PDA

View Full Version : Lee Minie Core Pin - can it be shrunk?

C. Latch
05-22-2016, 12:22 PM
I recently sold all of my unfinished muzzleloader projects.

I kept one, though: A .45 T/C Hawken rebarreled with a .50 GM LRH barrel and a Lyman 57 SML sight.

I've considered casting and using the Lee Minie bullet for use in this rifle, but my experimenting with the same bullet ina .54 caliber leads me to think the thin skirt on the base of the bullet couldn't handle heavier powder charges.

This brings me to my question: I notice that Lee sells replacement core pins for these molds. Would it be possible to remove the .50 core pin and replace it with a .45 core pin, in order to create a thicker-skirted mold? Such a mold, powder coated or lubed, with the base filled with lube and an over-powder wad, might make a great setup for the fast-twist .50.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

swamp
05-22-2016, 02:41 PM
On my Minnie moulds I take down the height of the base pin to 1/8 inch. Have no problem with the skirt.
swamp

mooman76
05-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I don't know if it will fit but I have heard of people removing them and spinning them in a drill press and taking down some metal to make the base skirt thicker.

bubba.50
05-22-2016, 10:33 PM
if the 45 pin is smaller diameter than the 50 you could likely sleeve it up to fit yer mould.

country gent
05-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Would need to measure each to see what the dimensions actually are but It could be made to work. Another way would to buy a second 50 cal and set it up in a lathe and recut it to what you want. Simply a smaller dia on the angle base or shorter with a radious on the end what ever you want could be done here fairly easily. How does the core alighn in the blocks? If off a 50 cal base ring then the 45 pins base ring will be for 45 can dia not the 50s for alighnment.

Hellgate
05-22-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure the base pin/plug can be easily removed from a lee HB mold. I have had base pins turned down on Lyman molds but they are a separate part.