PDA

View Full Version : Need source for getting a stronger coil hammer spring

Swagerman
05-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Taurus hammer spring is making too lite of strikes on the primers, causing mis-fires on my model 441 in .44 special.

This is also in single action mode which is mostly what I shoot the gun in.

The double action mode is butter smooth, but still need a stronger tension hammer spring.

Anyone know of a source, I tried Wolff springs.com but they only make reduced tension springs for some reason.

Taurus won't sell a hammer spring to me, and I won't ship the gun just to install a hammer spring.

Jim

Morgan Astorbilt
05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Measure the OD, ID, length and wire gage diameter of your spring, and I'll see if I have something in my spring kit.
Morgan

Swagerman
05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Email sent.

Thanks, Jim

scrapcan
05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Jim,

I think Wolfe Gunsprings are making springs for the large frameTaurus revolters. The highest power hammer spring is standard 14 lb. Not higher power but it might help you out.

You might be able to order direct or from Brownells.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolver/Taurus_RvNF.html

Swagerman
05-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Our machinist friend on the forum, Morgan, is sending me a spring to try, and he also suggested try putting a small washer or nut on the hammer spring guide rod where it fits into the bell bottom bushing.

I managed to get a small washer on the hammer spring guide rod, but kind of doubt its going to be a permanent fix...but it seemed to work. The hammer seems a tad stronger, and on his suggestion I put some CCI large rifle primers on a dozen pieces of brass to test fire without powder or bullets being in place. Just want to fire the primers to see if the hammer has enough juice.

I went bang all 12 times without a misfire. But had to shoot them one at a time as the dang primers would keep backing out of the primer holes and binding up against the rear flash plate on the frame...hence, the cylinder wouldn't turn. I figured that one out quick enough, been there, done that before with my 2nd model S&W in .45 Colt caliber...when the powder loads were too small and not enough recoil force against the flash-plate.

Will attempt to get to the range tomorrow and run a few live rounds through this Taurus .44 special.

Thanks, guys for your help.

Jim

scrapcan
05-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like you are on your way to better results.