PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on using 209 shotgun primers vs percussion caps

oldracer
05-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Well I went to the range yesterday to do some serious testing with my newly completed 45 caliber underhammer. I used the Mag Spark 209 adapter the whole session without any issues this time and here are some observations.
- I do not feel there is much of an accuracy gain with the 209, especially with a light load as I was using, I.E. 90 grains of Goex FFG.
- There is no soot or other goop around the 209 area as it is pretty much enclosed.
- You need a short drill bit or other small tool to clean out the soot after each shot to allow primers to easily be inserted.
- I did wet the 209 primer with some spit and they do seem to come out easier.
- Fouling in the barrel seemed about the same as with a #11 cap but it is hard to say. I wipe with a wet Ballistol/water patch and then a dry one after each shot. I think it was a bit softer and not sure why?
- My underhammer does NOT have the small vent hole like the rifle I have that Johnson1942 made a couple years ago. I am not sure if it is totally necessary? Further investigation will be conducted.
- The ease and cost of the 209 primers is much better than the #11 caps so I'll probably use them on several of my rifles.

I did try two different bullets, 540 grain BACO Creedmoor, unsized with Doug Knoell's lube and at 100 yards the shots were all within 1 inch of each other. The other was the Pedersoli flat nose 520 grain Gibbs bullet, also unsized and it put 4 shots into one hole although slightly to the left. I used a fiber 0.060 wad and will try shooting with none as that is how many Gibbs shooters load.

Squeeze
05-22-2016, 11:30 AM
the advantage of 209 is use of Blackhorn powder. Ease and reliability could be argued either way. The drawback is the 209 produces more gasses, and some theorize the primer gasses are enough to move the projectile before actual combustion, creating a variable in aiming and timing. With a misfire, it will move the charge up the bore, so after a wait time, diligence must be given to reseat the charge before another primer is fired. I use them in closed system inlines, but not in sidelocks, or slam fire inlines. with real black, seven, or pyrodex, a cap primer is fine. they each have their following and purpose.
I think a primer will foul the bore a bit more, and a cap fouls the action more. they both have repercussions and require a bit different shooting/cleaning regimen.

bdicki
05-22-2016, 12:02 PM
All 209's are not the same.
Winchester Triple Seven Primers are specifically designed for Muzzleloading and are milder than typical 209 Shotshell Primers. Milder primers do not force the powder charge forward, helping to maintain consistent velocities and minimize formation of crud rings. These primers are rigorously tested for consistency and sensitivity at temperatures and conditions far beyond the range of normal usage. Winchester guarantees better sensitivity for more positive firing in all guns, consistency in size and quality and stability in extremes of temperatures and humidity.

flyingmonkey35
05-22-2016, 02:45 PM
Neat tool. Mag spark Not useful for primitive competition shooting. As time for swapping out the primer is a delay when you prime on the line.

But for hunting a big plus

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

oldracer
05-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys. Before I asked Pecatonica River to drill/tap the hole for the nipple/MagSpark I measured the location of the hole in the barrel of the rifle I bought a few years ago from Johnson1942. Since the gun was to be an under hammer I had some slight leeway, actually more than a side lock since the Allen lock has a longer hammer than the H&A lock. The location came out about the same so I did not feel there would be any movement of the bullet (45 caliber, 540 grain) before the powder lights off completely.

The slightly better ignition and also the better sealing of the ignition area were my main goals. Also 209's are cheaper and also easier to find most times although Gun Broker has a couple of weird ads that list them and I did try to order some BUT they are then "back ordered"! So I try to find them from local sources or someone I have dealt with. I do have Doug Knoell's mountain rifle with a loser bore, shallow rifling and light weight barrel that can do a full set of shots on a woods walk without any wiping and it is a gem to shoot with #11's.