PDA

View Full Version : 475 Mold - Freedom Arms

kobol
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Good Day,
This is my first post here and I have a couple of questions for those who own the Freedom Arms in 475 linebaugh. I want to purchase a couple of molds and was curious if anyone here could share their specs (nose-crimp, etc.) that work well in this revolver. I just picked up a Lee mold from Midway and I emailed Veral at LBT with this same question. He replied that he has not heard any complaints about using the .4 nose in the Freedom. Would anyone have any experience with LBT's molds.
I was also thinking about Mountain Molds, but again I would appreciate any tried and true specs that has worked well for others (nose-crimp / front band length/crimp groove, etc.).

I was thinking about something in the 375 - 400 grain range. Any information and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bobthenailer
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
i dont have a 475 L but i do have 3 FA 454 casulls 6"" 71/2 " and 10" i have a lbt lfn 300 grgc a tack driver in all 3 guns with many different loads. i also have a 260 grgc lfn mountian mould i bought this one while verl was on vacation , its not quite as accurate as the lbt bullet but ok for general use , both moulds are of excellent quality.

jwp475
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Can't go wrong with one of Veral's molds IMHO. I bought my first one from him in 1988, if Veral recommends it then it will work..

freedom475
05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I have a FA 475L 6in. You can't go wrong with the LBT.

The nose can't be any longer than .400. I had a RCBS 400gr. SWC and the nose is .430. This is .025 tooo long. I now have a 430grLBT LFN plain base and it works great. When I spoke with John Linebaugh he seemed to think that the 385gr. LBT was probly the best all around boolit and weight.

I sure like my 430gr. I had to order the next taller sight from freedom in order to get the big boolit down to point of aim. I have a bunch of 425 LBT WFN GC's that really shoot well too but I sure don't see much need in the GC's unless you've got the extra$ to spend.

I would suggest slowing these down to 1200fps or a little less.
I tried every powder known and finally found a real good load.
H110 really booms em out there, when I told my load to Mr. Linbaugh he told me I was running just short of 80,000, (oops)FA are tough! 2400 works well and is what John uses now. TiteGroup and BlueDot started gas cutting the top strap. LilGun=don't do it.

My favorite...Ramshot Enforcer

Hope some of this helps and keep us posted. Alot of 475 fans here.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2008, 03:27 AM
the best mold ive found in the 475s ive owned and fooled with is the 420lfngc from ballistic cast. its cut for a fa gun but works great in all of them. It looks like a hybrid cross between a wfn and a lfn. Little bigger metplat then most lfns. What you need to be conserned with is not only that the bullet fits but it has a little room for bullet crimp jump. the 475 at speed has enough recoil that bullet jump IS going to happen sooner or later and it will tie up your gun. something you certainly dont want in a hunting situation. My buddy is a good friend of johns. He is worse then me and has 6 guns john build and just got a 500 max and i was at his house when he was on the phone to john and they were discussing just the thing freedom was talking about. Guys have taken these guns and even the powder companys that publish data have taken them past what john is comfortable suggesting for loads. Alot of guys are out there shooting proof loads in there guns and it makes john unconfortable. I know more int he 475 then in the 500 it doesnt take much. I can be loading a 400 grain bullet in the 475 and have no pressure signs at all and add just a 1/2 grain more powder and the pressure goes sky high. Ive had to pound cases out of my guns. Stupid thing is a guy is gaining nothing by doing it and just beating up a precision made gun. theres noting on earth a 400 grain 475 bullet wont kill at 1300 fps and trying to gain another 100 fps is just causing damage to the gun and makes them much more unconfortable to shoot. the 500s dont seem to show pressure jumps as fast but you have to keep in mind that theres even less metal in one to give you a safety zone. Anymore i load them for accuracy instead of max power. Most of my linebaugh loads shoot slightly heavy bullets at about 1100 fps. they penetrate and hit like a freight train and i dont feel a need for more.

44man
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Pressure is something I have been wondering about. My BFR shows the greatest accuracy with these loads;
400 gr Lee with 26.5 gr's of 296
429 and 420gr with 26 gr's
392 with 26.5 gr's
I know the seating depth will effect the pressure but is there a ball park way to find out what the pressures are?
Cases fall out and if the loads are reduced any, groups start to open. If increased any, groups will open.

jwp475
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Gas checks lower pressure over plain base bullets. Ross Seyfried did an article on this several years ago.
For me I use 296 or H-110 this is the best powder in the 475 IMHO.

kobol
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Thank you all.
This was the information I was hoping to get. I will be starting with reduced loads using Trailboss and TiteGroup starting at around 800fps and working up from there before loading heavier with H110, 296, etc. Is that the general consensus that Lil'Gun doesn't work very well in the 475? I've never used it before. My main experience has only been with H110 and W296.
I want to slowly get used to the firearm and get a sense of what it likes. Not to mention conditioning my body to the recoil. My previous experience has been with the 454 in a Ruger SRH and heavy 45 colt loads in a Ruger Bisley.
I'm still waiting on the Freedom to arrive, it's been about 4 weeks now. So I am using this time to gather all the reloading supplies for it. I have some Beartooth 420 lfn's and a box of Speer 325 jsp's right now to start loading with until I get a mold cut.

Whitworth
05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
With 26.5 grains of 296 behind a 420 grain WFN, my .475 runs right around 1,330 fps consistently. It is the most accurate load I have found so far, and I think this is the most critical issue and not speed. Recoil goes up considerably jumping from 1,200 fps to over 1,300 fps with this weight bullet.

44man
05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
JWP, I have an exception to that! I have a gas check boolit and a PB that are almost identical in weight, (same alloy) seating depth and diameter.
Working a load for the GC boolit had it stick brass long before the PB so I have to shoot a reduced load with it.
The thing is that when at the brass sticking point it is easily the most accurate boolit I have and I lose a little accuracy when I lighten the load.
Most boolits show a preference for accuracy when loaded under max but not this one. It shows pressure faster then a jacketed bullet too.
Just shows that every boolit needs a workup to see what is going to happen. Sometimes strange things happen.

jwp475
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Jim, I am not familar with your bullet, but the pressure test that I am aware of all showed lower pressure with a GC over the same bullet without. Not a big deal either way, but lower just the same.

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
those are about max loads in my gun. Anymore then 26 with a 420 and pressure spikes. I can run 27 with a 400 but thats about it.
Pressure is something I have been wondering about. My BFR shows the greatest accuracy with these loads;
400 gr Lee with 26.5 gr's of 296
429 and 420gr with 26 gr's
392 with 26.5 gr's
I know the seating depth will effect the pressure but is there a ball park way to find out what the pressures are?
Cases fall out and if the loads are reduced any, groups start to open. If increased any, groups will open.

dubber123
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
One thing to take into consideration is the twist in the F/A .475's, they are a little on the slow side. I have one, and had a 440 gr. WFN cut for it, and it is my most accurate boolit, but only when run at full power.

I tried running it at 800 fps. once, and it became my LEAST accurate boolit. 1,325 fps. will shoot into an inch at 50 yards, (when I manage it), 800 fps. will do well to stay in 2 FEET.

The twist is marginal for really heavy boolits. I would go for a 400 to 425 max. I have the 400 Lee, and that will shoot in 1-1/2"/ 50 yds. at 550 fps. The extra weight, and mine goes to pieces at slow speeds.

jwp475
05-16-2008, 05:46 PM
The twist in the Freedom 475s is the same as every other maker except Magnum Research's BFR. Most maker use a 1 in 18 twist except for the BFR which is 1 in 15

44man
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
JWP, what Dubber is saying is EXACTLY what I have been saying on AR and getting beat to pieces over. Heavy boolits must be run FAST in the Freedom. Then you reach a limit where you can't increase the velocity. That also goes for every other gun with the same twist rate.
BFR is the only gun that gets it right. How can you dispute that? [smilie=1:

44man
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
JWP, here is the boolit from my home made mold.

jwp475
05-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't shoot reduced loads in any of my 475s. I able to hit what I am shooting at therefore I see no accuracy issues.
I recieved my first 475 and killed gam with it in 1988 and have taken a good number since. I see no issue with the twist..

Whitworth
05-16-2008, 11:25 PM
The Freedom twist rate is indeed 1:18 -- same as my SRH.......

dubber123
05-17-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't shoot reduced loads in any of my 475s. I able to hit what I am shooting at therefore I see no accuracy issues.
I recieved my first 475 and killed gam with it in 1988 and have taken a good number since. I see no issue with the twist..

I too like my F/A, and would not trade it for any other brand. That said, this thread started with a guy looking for suggestions on mould selection. I know you may run full throttle all the time, and thats fine, but if this guy spends 150$ to have a 2 cav. LBT cut in a real heavy weight with the intention of it being able to be loaded hot as well as running it at plinker speeds, he WILL be disappointed.

If he wants to run at 1,300+ all the time, sure stuff in whatever weight will fit. Keeping weight down a bit allows some flexibility in loads. Makes sense to me.

44man
05-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Very well said!
It is strange that the firestorm has not started against you. :mrgreen:
When I say something like that about the Freedom, I get smacked BADLY! :drinks:

Ed K
05-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I apologize for getting the thread any further off topic by saying this but I'm needing to purchase a 454 mold so I'm gonna do it. I think what dubber is saying is probably true even more so in the 454 - which is the only FA I have. Most manufacturers are setting a 45 revolver twist @ 1-16" whereas FA goes with a 1-24" rate. As far as I understand these revolvers are designed/optimized to shoot a 240-260gr j-bullet as fast as possible. So in looking for an "all-around" cast mold for the 454 that fits dubber's comment I'm thinking LFN over WFN and not more than about 300gr such as bobthenailer is reporting success with. Make sense? I'm not looking for cowboy loads - I'd just shoot a Colt for that. I would however be dissapointed to not get decent accuracy as low as about 1000fps.

jwp475
05-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I too like my F/A, and would not trade it for any other brand. That said, this thread started with a guy looking for suggestions on mould selection. I know you may run full throttle all the time, and thats fine, but if this guy spends 150$ to have a 2 cav. LBT cut in a real heavy weight with the intention of it being able to be loaded hot as well as running it at plinker speeds, he WILL be disappointed.

If he wants to run at 1,300+ all the time, sure stuff in whatever weight will fit. Keeping weight down a bit allows some flexibility in loads. Makes sense to me.

Then every 475 on the market has the wrong twist except the 1 in 15 twist BFR, because every one else uses a 1 in 18 twist barrel including but not limited to Huntington, Bowen, Linebaugh, Clemens, Reeder, etc.

jwp475
05-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Then every 475 on the market has the wrong twist except the 1 in 15 twist BFR, because every one else uses a 1 in 18 twist barrel including but not limited to Huntington, Bowen, Linebaugh, Clemens, Reeder, etc even Ruger with the 480.

felix
05-17-2008, 10:20 AM
That is a correct statement for those wanting to shoot circa 45-70 boolits in a 475/480. ... felix

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
dont know what twist john uses but my old 475 is the most accurate revolver ive ever owned. It will shoot under one inch groups with 375-400 grain bullets at as low as 850 fps. and as high i can load it without pressure signs. I thought at one time i was told he uses a 1-20 twist but like i said im not sure. Never felt the need to check as i think i could put sand in a case and top it with a rock and it would be accurate. Ive also had no problems finding light loads for my 500 linebaughs. If anything my big bores have been easier to load down then even 44 mags or 45 colts. Ive got two linebored 45s that dave clements did for me and they act just like your talking. they need heavy bullets pushed right to the limit to shoot well. Now ive never shot a fa 475 but have shot them in about every other caliber and id about bet a dime to a dollar that if you can make it shoot your doing something wrong and its not the gun. My 454 will shoot a ragged hole with many many loads and i rarely push it much past what a guy could do in a stout 6 shot 45 colt.

leftiye
05-17-2008, 01:09 PM
This thread has been very enlightening vis-a-vis the .475. Of course I'd hesitate to rebarrel a Freedom arms gun. But this problem with twist rate seems enough to warrant a new barrel. 400 grains actually isn't very heavy in that caliber.

dubber123
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Then every 475 on the market has the wrong twist except the 1 in 15 twist BFR, because every one else uses a 1 in 18 twist barrel including but not limited to Huntington, Bowen, Linebaugh, Clemens, Reeder, etc even Ruger with the 480.

NOW you're catching on!, if you want to run much over 400-420 grains at plinker speeds, then yep, it's the wrong twist. These guns were designed around those weights, and the 1/18" works fine there.

This fella was asking for mould suggestions, and my suggestion was to not go too heavy if he intended to download it to plinker speeds. I was pretty sure that point would be obvious by my previous responses, but I guess not....

I said a 400 would shoot VERY well at 550fps., and I doubt anyone will go that low. Before he wasted the money getting an over 420 gr. boolit mould cut for a do-it-all weight, I thought I would mention how poorly it will likely shoot at 800 fps or less.

Maybe he should just load full throttle all the time, like you said, it works for you.

dubber123
05-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I apologize for getting the thread any further off topic by saying this but I'm needing to purchase a 454 mold so I'm gonna do it. I think what dubber is saying is probably true even more so in the 454 - which is the only FA I have. Most manufacturers are setting a 45 revolver twist @ 1-16" whereas FA goes with a 1-24" rate. As far as I understand these revolvers are designed/optimized to shoot a 240-260gr j-bullet as fast as possible. So in looking for an "all-around" cast mold for the 454 that fits dubber's comment I'm thinking LFN over WFN and not more than about 300gr such as bobthenailer is reporting success with. Make sense? I'm not looking for cowboy loads - I'd just shoot a Colt for that. I would however be dissapointed to not get decent accuracy as low as about 1000fps.

ED, I just picked up a Lyman 2 cavity stamped "FREEDOM ARMS", it casts a LFN profile GC that weighs a little over 300 grs in WW's.

F/A must have had faith in them shooting well to have them cut in this weight. Let me know if you want me to cast some up for you to try.

kobol
05-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for all the responses. I've been learning a lot from this thread. I am almost positive that I am going to start with a 385gr. LBT LFN mold. I'll give that a try and then slowly purchase more getting an assortment from light to heavy. I think it's going to be fun for a while expirmenting with different bullets and loads.
Right now I'm just waiting for the call that my FA has arrived.

dubber123
05-18-2008, 12:59 AM
If your gun takes as long as mine to come in, you only have about 5 more months to wait!. I hope they are delivering quicker now, but mine was about 2 days shy of 6 months. What barrel length did you get? Options?

Ed K
05-18-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't see this as a design fault at all. These guns were designed to strike a specific balance of power/weight and that goal has been accomplished admirably. They represent the category of "top-power" revolver with much more grace than a S&W X-frame. They may not be as powerful as some single shot handcannons but really that is a different game.

The twists are correct for their intended purposes. I purchased a 454 because:

It was a unfired premier grade on the used rack at an unbelievable price
Size and weight are very close to a comparable Bisley Blackhawk
I had come to realize no amount of "common" gunsmithing could make a Ruger come close (all due respect to the Bowen/Linebaugh guns though)
The workmanship held some kind of magnetic attraction on me

Still, I had no real reason to shoot anything more than "Ruger" loads or therabouts - certainly not 240gr mag XTPs on the 2000fps threshold. No, more like 250-300gr cast @ 1200-1300 so I set about using a FA as glorified Ruger (shame on me?). Funny, but right away on these internet forums there were folks trying to tell me I could not do that - why not?

I was not savvy as to the twist issue at the time of purchase but learned about it as I lived with the gun. Really though, I do not see it as a limitation. Why? More twist is not always better. I know it typically comes up here on Cast Boolits as an RPM issue but also as the load gets hotter, a 1-16" twist 45 is going to torque your wrist noticeably more than a 1-24" twist. Then you have the fact that twist limits velocity although marginally so.

Now as to shooting low velocity loads (meaning say sub 1000fps) I do see a design issue: 10 oz too much steel. I love the 45 in a revolver but that means for me that I like a FA mod 83 and a USFA Colt copy. The lighter gun is a joy to have on the hip while the FA cries for a shoulder rig.

I think it all comes down to the right tool for the job.

44man
05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
JWP, you keep posting about all of the custom guns with the 1 in 18" twist but I have no idea how cylinder length compares between them. Seems to me a Ruger conversion will have a longer cylinder like Whitworths SRH. This allows a longer nose and overall length so a heavy boolit can be loaded faster at a lower pressure.
There is nothing wrong with the 1 in 18" twist as long as loads are compatable.
I have always loved the Freedom's workmanship and beauty but the limitations are more then I care to fool with because of all the different molds and boolits I have. I don't like being resricted to an overall length!
I have many boolits that won't even fit Marko's gun. Even the hollow point we were blowing up water jugs with would not fit. He is lucky that the WFN I designed will fit both his and the Freedom.
I will have to have Marko send you some to play with. It weighs close to 420 gr's depending on the alloy. If I were to make one any heavier, I would extend the nose so I do not have so much boolit in the case. I think mine is at the limit for the weight now. Any deeper and I would be shooting a high pressure .480! No sense having the longer case if heavy boolits need to be so deep.
I have found the most consistant accuracy (under 1" at 50 yd's) from the Freedom will be had from 350 to 385 gr's. Accuracy will go down slowly as boolit weight increases and once over 420 gr's is reached, velocity decreases and pressure will rise and accuracy will be less then I want.
My BFR will shoot anything from 400 gr's to 460 gr's with extreme accuracy, many groups at or under 1" at 100 yd's if I do my part. My 430 gr WLNGC has kept 4 out of 5 on a 6" swinger at 400 yd's. This boolit fits Marko's gun but not the Freedom. It shoots well from his gun but not as tight as mine does. You can see right off what the difference in twist makes. He would need a hotter load with my boolit and it would exceed the pressure limit.
So if I may stick my foot in my mouth again! [smilie=1: I would say the Freedoms accuracy range is 350 to 420 gr's.

jwp475
05-18-2008, 11:10 AM
There is the 1/4 rule when it comes to velocity and pressure a 10% increase in case capacity at the same pressure will onlynet a 2 1/2 percent in crease in velocity ..
John Linebaugh shoots reduced loads and does not find an accuracy problem with 1 in 18 twist barrels

This was shot with 420 grain Buffalo Bore factory loads.

The setup;

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/jwp475/420Grain47518Twist001.jpg

The best that I can do with open sights at 100 yards

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/jwp475/420Grain47518Twist002.jpg

That's with a 1 in 18 twist.

Whitworth
05-18-2008, 12:07 PM
jwp -- what distance was that target shot from and how big did it measure?? Just curious.

Ed K -- I think in the case of the .454 FA that they could have used a bit faster twist. Have you ever handled/shot a full custom from the likes of Huntington, Bowen, or Linebaugh? I don't think you will see the FA revolvers in the same light. I think the price of admission for a premier grade FA is a bit high. While I really appreciate the fit and finish of the Freedom revolvers, my revolvers are hunting tools that see the elements on a regular basis, and not safe queens, so I don't mind if they aren't all that pretty! I hope this doesn't draw fire from all the FA owners out there, but I really don't have anything against them, they are just pricey for what you get IMHO.

jwp475
05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I had come to realize no amount of "common" gunsmithing could make a Ruger come close (all due respect to the Bowen/Linebaugh guns though)
The workmanship held some kind of magnetic attraction on me

If you are refering to the fit and finnish by the custom smiths, then I whole heartedly dissagree..

Naphtali
05-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay, let's put Freedom Arms' bullet limitations to rest. When I acquired my Model 83 .475 Linebaugh, two buckets of bullets accompanied it, 400-grain Speer Gold Dots and a 420-grain unknown "super" bullet. I invested a great deal of effort to find the bullet mold for making the bullet. BUPKES!

And then Veral Smith (LBT) had a sale last month. I bought the .476-inch 340-grain .4 WFN gas check. When it arrived, the bullet is my "super" bullet design -- with wider lubrication grooves -- shortened to account for its lighter weight. To obtain the bullet whose graphic I show, with improved grooves, I merely order the same bullet mold model I got from Veral, then identify the weight wanted, with or without gas check. And that's that.

And, yes, the bullet also works in Super Redhawk .480 Ruger (six shot versions).

Did I mention that I do not shoot heavy loads?

Dimensions are accurate ±.002 inch.
1. Overall length of jacketed bullet is about .928 inch; cast bullet is about .933 inch.

2. O.D. of both bullets is about .475 inch.

3. Meplat of jacketed bullet is about .327 inch; cast bullet is about .395 inch.

4. Length from crimp to nose is about .355 inch for both bullets.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Naphtalitlk/475_noses.jpg http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Naphtalitlk/475s.jpg

leftiye
05-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I've got to agree with jwp475. One needs to pay very careful attention to where his foot is when he criticizes the work of H. Bowen. If only in view of the obvious limitations of the alternative being a prodiuction gun.

Whitworth
05-18-2008, 04:06 PM
So what's your point? There are limitations with the FA cylinder as there are with the SRH, forcing some bullets to need to be seated deeper in the case, limiting capacity. That is the point that .44man is trying to make. I don't really see it as a problem, even though my custom Ruger cannot use a wide selection of bullets -- I have found the one that I will use for everything and it is a 420 grain WFN.......

Ed K
05-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Some clarification:

"Common gunsmithing" is what comes to mind as being typically accomplished by a professional gunsmith associated with or operating within your local gunshop or independently within a reasonable driving radius otherwise (perhaps extended to include mechanically inclined enthusiasts). Hence the term "common". The revolver work typically involves action jobs, custom grips & sights, base pin installation, reaming tight throats, recrowning, etc.

Bowen, Linebaugh et al are most certainly not "common gunsmiths". Where did that idea come from?

If I really thought these two gentlemen were a couple of "common" hacks why would I take the time to dole out a measure of respect for each? Yes I have handled their work and with their high degree of workmanship coupled with the ability to get a blued gun and have it tweaked just about any way one could imagine I would have to admit they are in a number of ways superior to FA.

dubber123
05-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I think everybody probably is saying the same thing, I'm not bashing F/A, I personally don't care what the twist is, as long as it shoots. Up to 420 grains or so, I bet most any load will shoot well. I can tell you from experience, go to 440 grs, and they WON"T shoot slow.

At full power, anything that will fit in a F/A will shoot well. My 440+ gr. shoots very well to at least 220 meters, (the farthest I have tried), as long as I start it fast.

This fellow mentioned loading his .475 to 800 fps to start, (which I think is a darned good idea), and I didn't want him to order a real heavy weight, and get terrible groups from his brand new gun. It sounds now as if he's going to go on the light side, so I doubt any of my arguements really matter.

Thats a pretty good iron sight 100 yarder, Jwp, about 3"?

kobol
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
dubber123
I ordered a field grade with 4 3/4 barrel. I also asked for the micarta grips and premium sights. Thats it. We were told around 4 months for delivery.
I also ordered a Bianchi Frontier Gunleather model 100 holster/cartridge belt "Duke rig" for it. I should have that by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week.
I will be starting out light and then will probably progress to heavier as I gain more experience and shooting time with this revolver. But in the mean time I have been ordering a variety of different weight bullets to load.

dubber123
05-19-2008, 02:37 AM
dubber123
I ordered a field grade with 4 3/4 barrel. I also asked for the micarta grips and premium sights. Thats it. We were told around 4 months for delivery.
I also ordered a Bianchi Frontier Gunleather model 100 holster/cartridge belt "Duke rig" for it. I should have that by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week.
I will be starting out light and then will probably progress to heavier as I gain more experience and shooting time with this revolver. But in the mean time I have been ordering a variety of different weight bullets to load.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 4-3/4" Premier grade, but did not order any options. One that I wish I did, was the trigger job. It will likely come in at 4 pounds. You may be fine with this, but I was not.

F/A will not go under 3 lbs. and they want plenty for even that service. I sent mine to a gunsmith in CA, and had it set to 2 pounds, and it is worlds easier to hit with now. It cost 40$ for the trigger job, a fraction of what F/A wanted.

The recoil on the 4-3/4" can be interesting. I bought some 375 grainers to try once, and actually found max loads to be MUCH less pleasant to shoot than the 440's, very sharp recoil. Starting with reduced loads is a good idea, and they are very easy to make in the .475.

If your gun comes in assembled as well as mine, you will be very happy.:drinks:

44man
05-19-2008, 07:48 AM
This is really getting me down!!! I can't get a post here from my upstairs computer since I had it crash and put XP back in it. As soon as I submit reply, it shows a blank response page and tells me my message isn't long enough?????
I have no problem with the other sites.
JWP, that is good shooting but what gun do you have there?
Is that thing on the end for swatting skeeters? [smilie=w:

44man
05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Excuse me for a minute, need to get my flame proof suit on! :mrgreen:

44man
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
The Freedom is super easy to do the trigger on. I did my friends .357 for him and all I had to do was make a new trigger spring. Nothing else needed touched. I got it to 1-1/2# first try.
I don't understand why they charge so much. Just need to put the original spring back if you sell the gun.
Rugers and BFR's are harder and I have to put the hammers on my grinder to start, to get rid of the creep.
Colt actions need shim stock soldered to the hammer to move the trigger out. Have to use low temp stuff and a copper iron. By filing the shim, it can be made great and can be put back to normal real fast by wiping the shim off with the iron. This trick also works on Rugers.
I have always wanted to drill and tap the hammers for a setscrew but they might be too hard. I need a scrap hammer to test it on.
Now the RH is a pain in the butt! :???: I have gotten some good triggers without reducing the mainsprings. Everytime I take one apart I ask myself why they designed it like that!

jwp475
05-19-2008, 09:08 AM
What is a Boolit Bub?

Whitworth
05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
What is a Boolit Bub?

You are a boolit bub! :-D

jwp475
05-19-2008, 09:30 AM
You are a boolit bub! :-D

Yea, but what is it?

leftiye
05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I think it's the bubbles when you fire a boolit into water.

44man
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
A boolit bub is a hillbilly thats makes his own! Whitworth played boolit bub last week! [smilie=1:

dubber123
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Jwp, it's based on how much hot air you vent on this site, a few posts, your are a boolit bub, some more hot air, boolit buddy, run your mouth alot like me, boolit master and so on.

Whitworth
05-20-2008, 08:15 AM
LOL! THat's really funny! jwp, is it clear now??:-D

44man
05-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Dubber took the fun out of it! :drinks:

jwp475
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I know that the post count is how you gets the moniker.
Still not sure what a Bub is. "I am what I am and that's all that I am." Popeye
Just not sure what I am.

44man
05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
JWP, you mean you never had an old drunk come and say "Hey bub, got a quarter?" [smilie=1:

jwp475
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
What is a Bub?

jwp475
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
How long must I continue on as a "Bub" that no one seems to know what it is?

44man
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
:mrgreen:

dubber123
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
How long must I continue on as a "Bub" that no one seems to know what it is?

Well, Whitworth is a "Boolit buddy" with 70 posts, so you can't be too far off from escaping your "Bub" moniker.:drinks:

Merriam Webster says it is short for "Bubby" meaning "little boy". Dates from the mid 1800's.

jwp475
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Now we know what a Bub is, that's good. Kinda of like the Skipper and his little buddy ( Gilligan the "Bub")

Whitworth
05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
jwp, you keep posting like this and you'll make Buddy before the night is through!

jwp475
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I am a buddy did you not see the definition of "Bub" it is a little buddy kind of like Gilligan to the Skipper. Yea know what I mean

Whitworth
05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Congratulations on the promotion to Buddy!

44man
05-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Watcha two guys been doin to be "buddys" together? [smilie=w:

jwp475
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm a former "Bullet Bub"

Whitworth
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Uh, jwp, we're all former Bubs.........