PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck slug gun.

Surp
05-21-2016, 04:58 AM
I have always been interested in rifled shotguns/slug guns but never really had a need but now that I have started casting I feel that's changing and I have started the search for a cheaper slug gun with good accuracy.

I think I would probably like to stay with a bolt action and accuracy is pretty much my number one point of interest.
So far for a cheap yet accurate rifle like I have described I have come up with the Savage 212 (yes I know about the ejection) and that seems like an alright pick (although I wish I could get it in stainless) but I was interested in what others though were some good picks in this realm.

Earlwb
05-21-2016, 11:02 AM
That is a good choice for a slug gun. Everything pretty much goes up in price from it. So I see nothing wrong with it. Granted one may get a better gun spending more. But if you are on a budget the Savage is a good one to get.

NavyVet1959
05-21-2016, 11:50 AM
After seeing some of the tests they did in the development of the "12 Gauge from Hell", I wanted one of the H&R Ultra Slug break action shotguns.

jmort
05-21-2016, 12:04 PM
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter is a good place to start. Very happy with mine. An 870 or 500 with a slug barrel are also good places to start. I have a three 500s and a lot of barrels for them including 4 rifled slug barrels. The Savage 212 makes sense. My ultimate is the Ithaca Deer Slayer III. Someday I will have a Deer Slayer III. There are a few of us who really enjoy shooting slugs. A whole lot of good info here.

cpileri
05-21-2016, 01:44 PM
If I could find one, I would go for a Savage 210 over the 212; but only minorly. The ultra Slug Hunter is probably best bang for buck.
C-

CLAYPOOL
05-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Marlin 512 Bolt action's. Clips are not easy to find. DON"T loose it or them....