PDA

View Full Version : Help with Winchester value

KYCaster
10-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Can anybody tell me the value of a Win. 1886-1986 Canadian Commerative. It appears to be fired very little and outside is in very good overall condition. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Frank46
10-23-2005, 04:13 AM
KYcaster, I bought the carbine version about five years ago. Paid about $250 for it. Was in nice shape and shoots very well. There are two versions the carbine with 20"bbl and the rifle with 24"bbl. Think the dealer was asking $300 for the rifle. These are nice rifles. Haven't seen the rifle version since I bought the carbine. And didn't have the bucks to get the rifle at the time. Frank

KYCaster
10-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Frank. The one I looked at has a 24" octagon barrell and the guy's asking $475. I thought that may be just a little high. Very nice looking rifle though.

Jerry

onceabull
10-24-2005, 05:01 PM
KYCxxxxx.. $475.00 seems a tad strong to me,FWIW.. I paid $315 less than 2 yr.ago for one that saw rangetime only,shooting Cast bullets only.. still doing same, and right well..Onceabull

C1PNR
10-25-2005, 11:37 PM
That does seem a little strong!

Mine is the 1967 SRC version, so it's not a straight up comparison, but I can tell you I didn't pay any $400 for it!

beagle
10-25-2005, 11:46 PM
KYCaster...what part of KY are you in? I'm located in Lexington./beagle

Thanks, Frank. The one I looked at has a 24" octagon barrell and the guy's asking $475. I thought that may be just a little high. Very nice looking rifle though.

Jerry

KYCaster
10-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Beagle: I'm in E-town, a little over an hour from Lex. I usta shoot IPSC at the Wilmore range every month but kinda got out of the habit when they changed their format.
I notice one of the new guys is from Hodgenville, about fifteen min. from me, and another says "central KY", so we're getting a pretty good group of locals here. It might be time to start thinking about a "Winney East" CB shoot. Do you think the board at Bluegrass would be interested in hosting it? Would be fun to meet some of the members.

Jerry

beagle
10-27-2005, 11:08 AM
They might be open to that. Seems like they're open to anything long as there's a dime in it for them.

We ought to be able to find a better place than that to hold an eastern shoot. Don't think that's open enough.

What's Knob Creek like???? I've lived here a while but have never been over there to a MG shoot.

Now, KYwoodwrker is from Hodgenville also./beagle

Beagle: I'm in E-town, a little over an hour from Lex. I usta shoot IPSC at the Wilmore range every month but kinda got out of the habit when they changed their format.
I notice one of the new guys is from Hodgenville, about fifteen min. from me, and another says "central KY", so we're getting a pretty good group of locals here. It might be time to start thinking about a "Winney East" CB shoot. Do you think the board at Bluegrass would be interested in hosting it? Would be fun to meet some of the members.

Jerry

KYCaster
10-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Beagle: I suppose I can hijack my own thread if I want to.
I haven't seen the rifle ranges at Bluegrass, don't know if they'd be suitable or not, but getting everybody through the gate would probably be a hassle.
Kenny at Knob Creek is pretty easy to get along with. That might be a possibility. He'd probably put us on his lower range. It's one big berm about 125 yds. X sixty or so wide. IIRC it has two or three concrete benches and no other improvements at all.
The fellow that owns the IPSC range in Bardstown may be receptive, but he's kinda pissed at some rifle shooters right now. They've shot some holes in his steel pistol targets and he's banned rifles from the range. He's a BPCR shooter though and might be willing to host something. I'll talk to him.
I think it's time we came up with something around here, those guys on the left coast sound like they're having alot of fun at Winny and I feel kinda left out. (sob, sniffle).
Anybody else got any suggestions?

Jerry

Scrounger
10-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I haven't seen the rifle ranges at Bluegrass, don't know if they'd be suitable or not, but getting everybody through the gate would probably be a hassle.
Kenny at Knob Creek is pretty easy to get along with. That might be a possibility. He'd probably put us on his lower range. It's one big berm about 125 yds. X sixty or so wide. IIRC it has two or three concrete benches and no other improvements at all.
The fellow that owns the IPSC range in Bardstown may be receptive, but he's kinda pissed at some rifle shooters right now. They've shot some holes in his steel pistol targets and he's banned rifles from the range. He's a BPCR shooter though and might be willing to host something. I'll talk to him.
I think it's time we came up with something around here, those guys on the left coast sound like they're having alot of fun at Winny and I feel kinda left out. (sob, sniffle).

Jerry

Did he perhaps let a swat team use the range? That's what happened at LASC... Another range I went to had 'mischief' perpetrated by the local cops. Unfortunately, some 'LEOS' feel they're above anyone else's rules. Definitely not referring to 'our LEOS' here on the forum. They're tame.

Bret4207
10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Lead by example I always say. At least I retained one thing from the USMC.

beagle
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd say that we'd need a couple of hundred yards at least. BGSL has a 300 yard/meter range that would do all right. It's covered, has multiple concrete benches and target frames at 100, 200 and 300. Possible to put up 50 yard frames as well. Ample camping facilities and restrooms and it's what, 17 miles from Lexington.

It would work but I'm kind of tied down with an invalid mother and don't have all of the time to coordinate it as I'm held pretty close here.

I'd sure like to have one here on the east coast. One of these days I'll make it out to Nevada. Jumptrap has a place over at GRayson that would be all right. Maybe 100-150 yards and a big assed hill to shoot into. Don't know what the neighbors would say though.

What we need is an old strip mine about 5-600 yards long/wide so we can let it all hang out./beagle

Jerry

Jumptrap
10-27-2005, 07:35 PM
I mentioned this in the past...which was also before other Kentucky boys had joined the crowd.

I live in Greenup County, out in the sticks, but just nine miles from I 64...getting here is easy.

Across the road from my house, I have a 5 or 6 acre field with a hillside to shoot into. I have 100 yards and can stretch afew more. There is room over there to shoot, have campfires, set up a camper(s) and of course, I have a couple bathrooms...but may make you transients use the weeds...hehe!

As it currently stands, my shooting bench is out of order and I am trying to pour a small 8x12 pad to set it on. No, there isn't a covered range or multiple benches, naked girls with refreshments or even electricty over there. But, they ain't no damned restrictions like townies have and we can shoot all day. I try to give the neighbors a break by not shooting too early or too late.

If nothing out of the way happens...like I die or become incapacitated....or I lose the lease on the land, we could make plans to have a rendezvous...none of this Winny stuff.....naw...we'd call ours the CBR ...Cast BULLET Rendezvous!! I'm about 2 hours east of Lexington (take the Grayson exit). Beagle knows how to get here.....eventhough he failed to mention me..hehe.

Now, all this being said, your womenfolk are welcome, but I haven't got a wife. So, if you have any GOOD LOOKING eligible sisters/sister-in-laws about 35-45.....not 'fat and pretty' or any of this, 'she has a great personality' BS, but well assembled with quality T&A.....you might want to tote them along:)!

So, there's a bone to chew on, you tell me if you're interested.

Jumptrap
10-29-2005, 09:44 AM
What happened...you all let this die a quiet death or afraid of exposing your womenfolks to an unwashed hillbillie? Hell, keep them wimmen at home..I ain't that hard up. But they ain't no use in not thinking about having a shoot. hehe!

Griff
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Jerry

Here's a link to an auction still open (in case you didn't buy the one you were looking at). Kiowa Jones has a very good reputation among CAS shooters.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=7043885. Might not be what you're looking @, but hehe, a little more info never hurts.
Griff

9.3X62AL
11-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Like Bret, I'm not only tame but also house-broken......had all my shots, so even if I bite there's no real danger. :-)

Having done the rangemaster bit for most of my career, I've seen the damage that can occur to range facilities when one or a few less disciplined shooters get childish with their shooting activities. These types are thankfully few and far between in the ranks of both in cops and normal folks, but the damage they do is annoying. Face it--downrange equipment like target stands get hit, no problem there--but when range buildings and light fixtures well outside the line of fire get shot up, that's a different story.

I can't encourage you guys and gals in Kentucky strongly enough to attempt a meeting and shoot like that done at NCBS. It's a great time, with lots of really good folks and fine food--and some right fine shooting as well. Putting faces with names really enhances the board experience, and the hunt of a lifetime I just completed with Bruce and Bill resulted from the friendships forged at these get-togethers.

I also have what I think is a Canadian Centennial Win 94 carbine. It shoots very well with both castings and redcoats, and even gets a little use on rats and jacks once in a while.

trooperdan
11-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Jumptrap, I am in North Carolina and only get to KY to shoot the Glock match they have in lexington annually. I'd love to have a campout cast boolits shooting weekend! I went to a Martini Henry campout weekend shoot in Martinsburg VA this year that was a lot of fun, even if it did rain! I hope you will follow through on setting this up and it is at a time I can attend.

Sorry I don't know of any unattached eligible wimmen for you though; I have one that is a Robert Heinlein heroine type but her and both her sisters are "taken"! One was/is a baby factory anyhow and you wouldn't have wanted her! :)

Oldfeller
11-05-2005, 02:16 PM
OK Jump, you done asked us all again 'cept this time it looks like we are a coming.

Pick a holiday type date and start up a thread for the meet.

Shall we group-buy some bulk powder and have it shipped to the meet? I don't need but a half a case or maybe a bit more and Hi-Tech does free hazmat on the case full, plus they ship bricks of primers on the same fee.

Oldfeller

trooperdan
11-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Great idea on the group buy of powder! Wish I'd thought of that! Let's kick this in the butt and get 'er rolling!

KYCaster
11-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Griff: Thanks for the Auctionarms link. The one I BOUGHT TODAY looks exactly like that one. I was on the way to the range and stopped in at Bubb's just to see if it was still there. He had come down to 425 on the tag price. I asked if he had the box and papers. Answer was no so I said with no box, no papers, fired, it's just another Win '94 so 425 is a little steep, don't ya think? He sez, hows about 325. I said, SOLD! (range report in another thread)

TrooperDan: At the Martini shoot in VA you probably met the guy that owns the IPSC range that I mentioned earlier. (small world, huh?) I believe he was in charge of the food. He said it was an enjoyable weekend in spite of the rain. He's wants to take a deer with the Martini this year. He was at the range today sighting in his backup gun.

Jumptrap, Beagle: Looks like a CB shoot is in the works for next year for sure. I don't want to start any fisticuffs over the choice of the site, but it looks like the range at Bardstown would be available. Maybe the three of us could get together and discuss some details. BGSL is about halfway between me and Jump, how about meeting there sometime?

About the powder........GIBrass is about an hour and fifteen min. from me. I would be willing to pick up powder from Jeff and deliver to anyplace between his shop in Owensboro and Jumptrap's in Grayson on a one-time deal.

Jerry

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to mention, I stopped by a neighbor's yard sale yesterday and picked up a Ted Williams 4X scope. It's in good shape and looks for all the world like a Weaver. And I thought FIVE BUCKS was a pretty decent price.