PDA

View Full Version : Handle question

compass will
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a lee 6 hole mold with handles. I am getting ready to buy an RCBS 2 hole mold. I have a Lee 2 hole mold on order and have plans to buy an additional RCBS 2 hole mold next month.

Will my current Lee handles work on the RCBS mold? How about on the Lee 2 hole mold?
If no to both questions, will the lee 2 hole handles work on the rcbs 2 hole molds?

Need to place the order before mold goes on back order again, so thanks in advance [smilie=1:

compass will
05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I think I found the answer after a long search here. (search needs to allow you to use "around words" so it searches on both words together)

It looks like Lee 6 hole handles will fit RCBS, but as always, might need some adjustment.

AZ-Stew
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Will,

The Lee two-bangers come with their own handles. They are attached to the mould blocks via hardened pins (look like roler bearing pins). The handles are set into the grooves on the sides of the blocks and the pins are dropped through holes that start on the bottom of the mould, pass through holes in the handles and end in blind holes in the upper portion of the mould blocks. The aluminum of the blocks is then staked in around the pins to keep them in place. It's intended to be a permanent attachment, i.e., the handles are not interchangeable. I bought a mould from Lee a year or so ago so I could use the handles in a project for work. I didn't realize I could buy the handles as "repair parts" directly from Lee. I had one devil of a time getting those stupid hardened pins out so I could remove the handles. Pliers with serrated jaws will not grasp the pins. They're too hard. The pliers just keep slipping off.

In any case, the Lee two-banger handle jaws aren't thick enough to work with the RCB$ moulds. They won't properly fit the grooves in the sides of the mould blocks.

You can get your Lee six-banger handles from Midsouth Shooter's Supply for $12.68 + shipping. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690005

Regards,

Stew

compass will
05-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Stew, I forgot that the little lee molds come with handles.

I just ordered the RCBS 32-170 mold. I am getting tired of loosing the lever gun silhouette matches shooting plain base boolits. Hope the handles fit from my Lee 6 holler.

Still on the want list:
45-70, something in the 405 grain range.
22 bater, on order, with a july 31 ship date

either the lyman 225415, or the RCBS 22-055-SP, but I need to read around so see which one shoots the best groups out of a 22-250.

Wicky
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Being the tight **** that I am I have two sets of handles - a Lyman and a 6 banger Lee and fit them to all my moulds. The handles look like swiss cheese but they work fine!
Works OK for me and must have saved me at least $20 in extra handles.:mrgreen: